First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 White Lariat FX4
Occupation
Electrical test technician
I have not had to pull the harness out to use it to tow. I just removed the light itself, unplugged the harness and pushed it back with the hitch.
Cool thank for clarifying.
Sponsored

TuggerNutz

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shoes
I mean it's not a bad little light. I even got a compliment from a Subaru owner in the parking lot. I pre-ordered it when it was announced. Got one of the first ones. I should have posted on here when I did. Might have save others some headaches. I did end up commenting on the DD YouTube video for it. So they've known about our issue from the beginning. But, I still like it. And now I have a crimper and extra Deutsch connectors. 😂

GitRDone

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT
Occupation
Real estate management
I picked up this inexpensive LED light from Walmart a couple years ago. Installed it just below the hitch and splice tapped into one of the reverse light wires for power.
IMG_20230612_014144_HDR.jpg

Light works great, and makes it much easier to hook up trailer or launch boat at night without blinding other boaters.
IMG_20230612_014224_HDR.jpg

SpaceGhost

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
If anyone wants one on the cheap mines never been installed because of all the issues above.

SD4160

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 White Lariat FX4
Occupation
Electrical test technician
I installed mine over the last few days. I've learned a few things about myself... on one hand, there is the engaged DIYer out to do the job the right way, hopefully saving some money as I go... and then the "me" that installed this. Self imposed time crunch, desparate to hit a milestone (the new red light turns on when I hit the brake), and likely to incur additional costs in my haste.

So I drilled a little hole the other day. Pretty centered considering i eyeballed it and i was drilling into the angled part to help facilitate with drainage in this area as well. Admittedly, I did take the bit for a walk on the first and second attempt after deciding not to walk 15ft to my work van for an auto-punch.
20230616_194621.jpg
Then made that hole larger. Still looking good in my book. Don't mind the northeastern mountain mud. I've come to terms with the idea it's not leaving my undercarriage anytime soon.
20230616_201209.jpg

This is where I let it go off the rails in about 30 seconds. First, I bailed on my proper method for painting the newly exposed metal. i did not properly debur my hole prior to painting, nor did I attempt to lightly clean and scuff the surrounding area to aid with better paint adhesion. Used no tape to prevent unnecessary overspray and ended up wiping tons of excess off
20230618_090250.jpg
disassembled rhe deutsch connector and fed it thru- reassembled without issue. Then proceeded to break the oem 7 pin plug detent trying to get the plug off under the bumber ($$$).
20230618_101502.jpg

and here we are - A questionable semi-successful install 😂.

Lesson here is take your time, and don't force this stuff for no good reason.

That said I can say my truck doesn't appear to "see" the light and think I'm towing anything.

Anyone have the part number for the 7 pin plug behind the bumper?

Figarou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Edge ST, 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Hitchmount without using the hitch. 🙃

PXL_20230810_233121562.jpg

Here is what I did. I used the holes that's already near the hitch and placed 2 C1Rs.

I'm using a different wire harness from DD. The truck doesn't think there's a trailer.

It comes with a T tap wire. You'll need to supply your own T tap. Hook it up to the back of the taillight and the rest to the 7-pin. That's it. You will need to buy an extra wire and splitter from DD for this set up.