Diode Dynamics HitchMount LED Pod Reverse Kit C1R + Brake

PltFX4

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2109 Ranger Lariat FX4
I have wanted better backup light(s) since I got the new Ranger. Fit 12 years I have this on my 2005 Ranger:
20181015_160359.jpg

White Night was/is the brand. Very bright covered a wide area and reasonably durable. Is fairly cheap injected plastic but tucked back out of the way for most part. Also you can use it while the hitch is in use. Center pops out to put the ball in. Also had up behind it (easy to reach) a over ride switch so you just turn them on even if not in reverse.

Sadly, they won't work on the Gen 5 Ranger as they need a pin located 4.5" back.

So been looking for Plan B. COR FAB back up lights might be a candidate but can't us the hitch at the same time, like the Diode Dynamics .

Other choice is something like this: RYANSTAR RACING Tow Hitch LED Lights

Anyone tried these??? Or ones similar??
Sponsored

SurfRanger

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4WD
Occupation
Engineer
OK, so you have to depin/repin it every time you want to use your hitch. Not my idea of a workable solution.
You could just add a quick disconnect switch in-line that is small enough in diameter to fit through the hole to pull the deutsch/ quick connect segment through when u need to tow. Just an idea. I dont tow so just felt like offering up an easy solution for those who want to make the DD light work.

SurfRanger

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4WD
Occupation
Engineer
I'm in the same situation. How do you "depin" the plug? Thanks in advance.
Best to look it up on youtube. But you just pry up the orange cap on the front with a small screw driver (“the wedge”) and then inside youll see clips that you just have to push on with said small screwdriver and pull out the wire. Super easy. Hint: take a picture of the wire locations before.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
You could just add a quick disconnect switch in-line that is small enough in diameter to fit through the hole to pull the deutsch/ quick connect segment through when u need to tow. Just an idea. I dont tow so just felt like offering up an easy solution for those who want to make the DD light work.
I suppose if you really have a heartache to have the light, you'll figure out a way to deal with it. For me the benefit is not worth the hassle.

SurfRanger

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4WD
Occupation
Engineer
I suppose if you really have a heartache to have the light, you'll figure out a way to deal with it. For me the benefit is not worth the hassle.
Totally. If you dont already have the light I would think hard about the purchase. Like OP, I also had no clue our hitches weren't open backed until after I got the product. Either way the DD harness is interesting since the modifications to it seem to work well. I dont know how well other products do with their harness as to not triggering tow mode / lights/ feature disabling.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Totally. If you dont already have the light I would think hard about the purchase. Like OP, I also had no clue our hitches weren't open backed until after I got the product. Either way the DD harness is interesting since the modifications to it seem to work well. I dont know how well other products do with their harness as to not triggering tow mode / lights/ feature disabling.
I too, and many others would like to know how they got around the "trailer connected detect" system. I thought it worked on the brake or running light circuit. This has been an ongoing issue for people putting on tailgate light bars.

Just for the record, "Tow Mode" is something completely different from the "trailer connected detection". Tow Mode simply changes the transmission shifting strategy and enables engine braking. Has nothing to do with trailer lights or rear sensing.

SurfRanger

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4WD
Occupation
Engineer
I too, and many others would like to know how they got around the "trailer connected detect" system. I thought it worked on the brake or running light circuit. This has been an ongoing issue for people putting on tailgate light bars.

Just for the record, "Tow Mode" is something completely different from the "trailer connected detection". Tow Mode simply changes the transmission shifting strategy and enables engine braking. Has nothing to do with trailer lights or rear sensing.
Gotcha. Just quoting what other people have said for issues since i never encountered the “trailer connection detection”.
I believe they can get around it by cutting the inline resistors to decrease the total load. My speculation is that the power draw of the pod alone is low enough to not trigger the system detection.

OP
OP
NTXTremor

NTXTremor

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
IT
Just for clarity, @SurfRanger, I amp assuming the reason that you had to de-pin the connector was because the connector is too large to fit through the existing hole in the side of the receiver? If so, for those concerned about that, I would think that drilling a larger hole elsewhere would prevent you from having to do this.

OP
OP
NTXTremor

NTXTremor

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
IT
Well, I took the plunge and modified the harness per the instructions from Diode Dynamics and I drilled a sizable hole in the bottom of my receiver to route the harness through.

I decided to drill the hole from the bottom as far back as I could to avoid having to go through both layers of the receiver and to avoid drilling into one of the welds or into the round bar to which the receiver is mounted. I was not as successful at this as I hoped, but I think that I did not affect the structural integrity at all.

I used a very small bit for a pilot hole and then progressively larger bits before switching to a step drill bit. The final hole is around 7/8" in diameter.

You can see from the first photo that I did end up slightly drilling into a small part of one of the welds. You can also see that I also partially had to drill into the very back of the receiver itself, making a small semicircle which kind of look like threads in the photo below.

4491.jpg

Looking from the receiver end, you can also see that my drill bit also took a small bite out of the round bar, but nothing more than a little surface marring.

4490.jpg

Once I got the hole large enough to route the connector through, it was easy.

4494.jpg
4492.jpg

I am going to pick up some paint to paint the edges of the hole to prevent rusting, but overall I am happy with how it turned out.

The light works as described, and the modification to the harness prevents the truck from thinking that a trailer is connected.

codestp202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Bit of an update to this thread.

I did a hybrid of what everyone else has done.

I took OP's idea of drilling, took the other idea of depinning, and combined them.
I drilled a much smaller hole where the yellow circle is, depinned my connector, and made the hole just big enough to fit the depinned bundle through. Sprayed paint and let it dry to avoid rust down the road.

I also checked my wiring harness and there were no metal leads to cut like in the attached pdf. Connected it to the truck, and seemed ok until I hit the brakes. I get a numerous amount of errors "trailer connected, trailer disconnected, lamp faults", etc etc).

So, I called diode dynamics and they said they have another harness update and they will send me one. I sent them an email and now I will wait and see how long it takes to get to me.
1685743241259.png

TuggerNutz

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shoes
Yeah you have to depin the connector. Which I absolutely freaking hate. Stupid design. The orange wedge piece is super brittle especially in the cold. Once it breaks just cut the end off because you're never getting it out.

As far as the rest of the install. I just gave my truck a reach around and squeeze the tabs for the trailer connector. Pushed that towards me through the bumper. You can then work on it and add your pigtail for the light then feed back through. This could have been a super easy install if we had room through the trailer hitch.

Oh, and did I tell you how much I hate the Deutsch connector?

Last edited:

SD4160

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 White Lariat FX4
Occupation
Electrical test technician
Bit of an update to this thread.

I did a hybrid of what everyone else has done.

I took OP's idea of drilling, took the other idea of depinning, and combined them.
I drilled a much smaller hole where the yellow circle is, depinned my connector, and made the hole just big enough to fit the depinned bundle through. Sprayed paint and let it dry to avoid rust down the road.

I also checked my wiring harness and there were no metal leads to cut like in the attached pdf. Connected it to the truck, and seemed ok until I hit the brakes. I get a numerous amount of errors "trailer connected, trailer disconnected, lamp faults", etc etc).

So, I called diode dynamics and they said they have another harness update and they will send me one. I sent them an email and now I will wait and see how long it takes to get to me.
1685743241259.png
I didn't see this thread before ordering. But this is the same spot I was eyeballing to drill. Think the hitch is deep enough that you wouldn't have to pull the harness out if you needed to use it to tow/as recovery point? Maybe the plug can just be wedged up in the back there. If you don't plan on towing ever... humor me lol.

How long have you had yours if theres an updated harness? I just got mine yesterday but haven't connected anything to test.

codestp202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I didn't see this thread before ordering. But this is the same spot I was eyeballing to drill. Think the hitch is deep enough that you wouldn't have to pull the harness out if you needed to use it to tow/as recovery point? Maybe the plug can just be wedged up in the back there. If you don't plan on towing ever... humor me lol.

How long have you had yours if theres an updated harness? I just got mine yesterday but haven't connected anything to test.
I use my hitch a lot, so how I set it up should allow my to just keep the harness as is and be able to put whatever into the hitch.

I just bought mine off Amazon a couple weeks ago - but here's the catch, the replacement harness is backordered for 6-8 weeks. I'm really disappointed that I'm going to have to wait that long to get my stuff working correctly. There's a good chance I'm going to go through a return w/ Amazon. This is way too much hassle.

Decide if you want to potentially wait that long, then wire it up before drilling, and if you have the same problem I did, you can at least make an informed decision if you want to wait 6-8 weeks just to get it working.

OP
OP
NTXTremor

NTXTremor

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
IT

I have not had to pull the harness out to use it to tow. I just removed the light itself, unplugged the harness and pushed it back with the hitch.

SD4160

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 White Lariat FX4
Occupation
Electrical test technician
I use my hitch a lot, so how I set it up should allow my to just keep the harness as is and be able to put whatever into the hitch.

I just bought mine off Amazon a couple weeks ago - but here's the catch, the replacement harness is backordered for 6-8 weeks. I'm really disappointed that I'm going to have to wait that long to get my stuff working correctly. There's a good chance I'm going to go through a return w/ Amazon. This is way too much hassle.

Decide if you want to potentially wait that long, then wire it up before drilling, and if you have the same problem I did, you can at least make an informed decision if you want to wait 6-8 weeks just to get it working.
Ouch! I'll plug mine in before committing to any drilling and test in my driveway to see if I have any issues. That lead time kills the enthusiasm for sure!
Sponsored