First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
the idea of cutting the frame on a new truck is not something im gonna do. i want to put on the bilstein 5100 shocks and struts and get a little bit of lift / level but if its going to make problems i may just skip the headache. any one have a "safe range" suggestion? the ride height is adjustable, i do not NEED lift for bigger tires etc. i mainly want the upgraded shocks and struts. i would like to have the front closer to level but still have the truck raked a bit.
Everything I read said you need the diff drop at 3+ inches of lift. I set my 5100's at 1.8" the second highest setting. Ford installs the 2.0" lift an honors the warranty so that tells me 2" or less doesn't affect long term durability. A lot run 2.5" an 3" of lift without dropping the diff an I haven't heard anyone on here complaining of a failure but I'm fine with the 2" or just under of lift.
Sponsored

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
How much do you use your truck off road? Funny thing; being lifted in the 3.5" to 3.75" range, I had no problems off road. But three times, while turning left out of driveways on asphalt surfaces, I heard a little binding up front on the right side. That's what drove my desire to drop the diff., just in case. I've been out a bunch without any issues though.

I also retained the parts cut off, and they can be easily welded back in just a couple of minutes. :D

I think you will probably be fine with your desired level of lift with the 5100 shocks and struts.
I am off road a lot typically one day a week or more. I think i would be more than happy with 2 inches or less lift in the front. most of my reason for wanting the shocks and struts is to get rid of the extra bounces in the front and wiggles in the rear. :rolleyes: thank you

OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I am off road a lot typically one day a week or more. I think i would be more than happy with 2 inches or less lift in the front. most of my reason for wanting the shocks and struts is to get rid of the extra bounces in the front and wiggles in the rear. :rolleyes: thank you
I hear ya. Before I did my suspension, the rear end did not like bumps at speed!

Reactions: Doc

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Everything I read said you need the diff drop at 3+ inches of lift. I set my 5100's at 1.8" the second highest setting. Ford installs the 2.0" lift an honors the warranty so that tells me 2" or less doesn't affect long term durability. A lot run 2.5" an 3" of lift without dropping the diff an I haven't heard anyone on here complaining of a failure but I'm fine with the 2" or just under of lift.
excellent news! makes me feel better.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
I told the dealer I wanted max lift with no diff drop or change to warranty. They did 3.5" BDS lift and said no diff drop required.

I'm at ~15,000 miles with ~1000 miles on moderate off road trails. No noises, signs of wear or other problems. I'll do a good inspection in the spring when I change wheels, but not expecting anything to be off.

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
I told the dealer I wanted max lift with no diff drop or change to warranty. They did 3.5" BDS lift and said no diff drop required.

I'm at ~15,000 miles with ~1000 miles on moderate off road trails. No noises, signs of wear or other problems. I'll do a good inspection in the spring when I change wheels, but not expecting anything to be off.
Doesn't the 3.5" BDS lift come with the parts to do the diff drop?
BDS 3.5.JPG

BDS 3.5 Inst..JPG

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
Doesn't the 3.5" BDS lift come with the parts to do the diff drop?
BDS 3.5.JPG

BDS 3.5 Inst..JPG
There are multiple kits. Basic lift only, UCA kit, coilover kit, etc.

I did this because it's all temp until the rest of the tuck is built. I wanted tires immediately so did a basic lift. Once everything is added full suspension replacement is my last step.

OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No photos, but had my first outing with the diff drop today, tackled a couple good obstacles in 4-high (locked in the rear, not that it matters to the front) and I had no issues with the diff drop. Everything worked beautifully and I scared the hell out of my friends on an off-camber obstacle! (They thought I was going to roll, and then they saw the whole underside of my Ranger when I went crazy on the wheel lift!)

Sleepy_Hollow

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
USN
Well I think I waited too long. I killed an axle. I have my Icon EXT travel set to 3.5in. At full droop my axles bind. So now I'm looking for a diff drop. Looks like Ebay is best kit for me.

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor

Sleepy_Hollow

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
USN
OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thats the one I bought 2 hours ago lol. One of my axles is leaking and the other is clicking. Might be too late to save them
Yep, same kit I installed too. It's not fun cutting and grinding on the frame, but I've had zero issues with the kit in the year + 3 months I've had it installed. It's had two off-road days, several trips from GA to S FL and back, and daily driver service. I lost the slight grinding I was hearing on certain tight turns out of driveways too!

BladeRanger

First Name
Bladimir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Electronic Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Well I think I waited too long. I killed an axle. I have my Icon EXT travel set to 3.5in. At full droop my axles bind. So now I'm looking for a diff drop. Looks like Ebay is best kit for me.
I'm using the diff drop from superlift suspension, I had mine setup to 3.5 lift as well.

Whiplash

First Name
Kern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4 / 2004 Mazda RX8
Occupation
Route driver

I'm running the ICON 2.5 EXT travel coilovers up front, APG Billet UCA's and Tie rod ends with the Heim joints.
3.0" lift...No Diff drop.... I knew going in that the CV axle life would be shortened operating at the angles we are running.....Do I recall you had disconnected your front sway bar at some point ? .....would that allow for even more droop and wear on the CV's....I looked on the Inner-Web early in my build for a HDuty after market CV axle....No Luck....APG made one for their Long Travel King Combo, but not the mid-travel Kit.....
So I was conservative on my tire and wheel offset(55mm) choice ...
Light and skinny ....Cooper Rugged Trek (45lb Tire) 255 70 /R18 ...less weght closer to the axle = less stress and longer life....

Last edited:

Sleepy_Hollow

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
USN
I'm running the ICON 2.5 EXT travel coilovers up front, APG Billet UCA's and Tie rod ends with the Heim joints.
3.0" lift...No Diff drop.... I knew going in that the CV axle life would be shortened operating at the angles we are running.....Do I recall you had disconnected your front sway bar at some point ? .....would that allow for even more droop and wear on the CV's....I looked on the Inner-Web early in my build for a HDuty after market CV axle....No Luck....APG made one for their Long Travel King Combo, but not the mid-travel Kit.....
So I was conservative on my tire and wheel offset(55mm) choice ...
Light and skinny ....Cooper Rugged Trek (45lb Tire) 255 70 /R18 ...less weght closer to the axle = less stress and longer life....
If you are running sway bar you aren't taking advantage of your tie rods and UCA. I took mine off right away.
Sponsored