First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2WD XLT SCAB
Occupation
Lineman
The elec. Locking rear is a thing of beauty. It does really well. It is certainly not overkill. You also should know that modern vehicles with their modern abs have a sort of limited slip. They use the abs sensors to sense wheel spin and apply some brake to the spinning side and allow the opposite wheel to gain power and traction. Just because you grew accustomed to the limited slip rear doesn't mean that a 4x4 Ranger with electronic locker would be unnecessary or overkill.
I would venture to guess the aftermarket does not and will not build a limited slip for the Ranger because of the abs/traction control and elec. locker.
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
The elec. Locking rear is a thing of beauty. It does really well. It is certainly not overkill. You also should know that modern vehicles with their modern abs have a sort of limited slip. They use the abs sensors to sense wheel spin and apply some brake to the spinning side and allow the opposite wheel to gain power and traction. Just because you grew accustomed to the limited slip rear doesn't mean that a 4x4 Ranger with electronic locker would be unnecessary or overkill.
I would venture to guess the aftermarket does not and will not build a limited slip for the Ranger because of the abs/traction control and elec. locker.
You may be right with the limited slip but then again there are still some vehicles like the Raptor that have a front limited slip(the torsen diff) so it almost makes people wonder a bit

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
I used to test this one do two ways:

1. In a manual trans car, rev in 1st gear to about 4k with my foot on the clutch and then dump the clutch and see what happens with both wheels.

2. In an auto in D, left foot brake, right foot to the floor on the accelerator, let foot off brake for just a split second, immediately stab the brakes again and if the car/truck has enough power, a nice brake stand burnout would ensue.

Reactions: Doc

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I used to test this one do two ways:

1. In a manual trans car, rev in 1st gear to about 4k with my foot on the clutch and then dump the clutch and see what happens with both wheels.

2. In an auto in D, left foot brake, right foot to the floor on the accelerator, let foot off brake for just a split second, immediately stab the brakes again and if the car/truck has enough power, a nice brake stand burnout would ensue.
Except it wont matter as there is no limited slip in the ranger what so ever so that test is considered invalid

onobeka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford ranger 2.2 European model
How about the front part? I have seen options to install a locker on the front for Mazda BT50 which is the sister of the Ranger. When the front wheels are engaged you should not take turns on any non slippery surface, as they are locked together … but then why adding an extra locker for the front?!?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
How about the front part? I have seen options to install a locker on the front for Mazda BT50 which is the sister of the Ranger. When the front wheels are engaged you should not take turns on any non slippery surface, as they are locked together … but then why adding an extra locker for the front?!?
The front locker would simply be for extreme conditions OffRoad. It would be used in conjunction with the rear locker.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yes, but kind of a differential do we have from factory on the front? It’s locked for sure, otherwise there would be no CV snaps on asphalt … maybe not fully locked, but still.

https://www.harrop.com.au/shop/elocker-ford-ranger-px-3-raptor-front
The front diff is not locked or limited slip from the factory what so ever. The only thing in the aftermarket available is the e locker from Harrop. Is it ok to use in the OffRoad? Yes it is but only in certain extreme conditions. It is similar to a winch. Betrer to have it and not need it vs not have it and be shit out of luck.

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
C'mon guys, everyone knows that half of the reason for a LSD is to break the rears loose! ;)

OP
OP

TJBarnes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 outdoorsman
Oh I 100% am getting 4x4. I haven't needed it since driving my ram, but there has been more than one occasion I turned around or went a different route because I didn't trust the LSD to be enough. I definitely want a fx4 for the rear locker but dealerships in my area are marking fx4 models up close to 5k over standard 4x4's. I also don't need to buy anytime soon, I just want to. I can wait it out lol

onobeka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The front diff is not locked or limited slip from the factory what so ever. The only thing in the aftermarket available is the e locker from Harrop. Is it ok to use in the OffRoad? Yes it is but only in certain extreme conditions. It is similar to a winch. Betrer to have it and not need it vs not have it and be shit out of luck.
Hmm, if it would be open … there would be no trouble running in 4x4 all the time. The CVs snap when turning on asphalt in 4x4, because the diff wants that both wheels spin at the same rate …

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hmm, if it would be open … there would be no trouble running in 4x4 all the time. The CVs snap when turning on asphalt in 4x4, because the diff wants that both wheels spin at the same rate …
You do NOT run 4x4 on the pavement for the fact that the transfer case does not have its own differential like an AWD. If you do run 4x4 on pavement then you are asking for a world of hurt.

onobeka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frency, thank you for the explanations but I still do not get it … the transfer case handles the distribution front and back. After the transfer case, there are differentials front and back. If the front would be open, like the back, there would be no issue running in 4x4 all the time. But, it isn’t fully open, hence the issue.
What I am missing?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Frency, thank you for the explanations but I still do not get it … the transfer case handles the distribution front and back. After the transfer case, there are differentials front and back. If the front would be open, like the back, there would be no issue running in 4x4 all the time. But, it isn’t fully open, hence the issue.
What I am missing?
I suggest you watch some videos that explain the difference between 4WD and AWD.

Here is a video that can provide a bit more information
Sponsored