First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I looked at getting a kit when I was going to install the eibach 3" lift front struts an springs. I was worried about the angle on the front drive shafts wearing them out faster. After a lot of thinking I just did a 1.8" lift with the stock springs.

I'll follow this to hear the people's experiences since I may rethink the front lift.

OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I looked at getting a kit when I was going to install the eibach 3" lift front struts an springs. I was worried about the angle on the front drive shafts wearing them out faster. After a lot of thinking I just did a 1.8" lift with the stock springs.

I'll follow this to hear the people's experiences since I may rethink the front lift.
The wear is one of my concerns. I'm also concerned with the angle at full droop as my dumb ass installed the Eibach kit set to 3.75" of lift!

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I've got a diff drop sitting in a box at home and I'm about to start looking at getting some shop time to get it installed. I'm wondering what the pros and cons of a diff drop are for those with experience with them.
Hi John,

If your diff drop is from BDS, I strongly recommend you avoid this back yard "engineered" piece...It is non robust in my opinion...and cutting the frame support off means you now own the frame as warranty will not cover this "mod".

My opinion, and I am sticking to it....

best,
Phil

OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hi John,

If your diff drop is from BDS, I strongly recommend you avoid this back yard "engineered" piece...It is non robust in my opinion...and cutting the frame support off means you now own the frame as warranty will not cover this "mod".

best,
Phil
And I value your opinion Phil!!! The diff drop I've got at home on the shelf is similar to the BDS kit but seems like it's stouter maybe?

BDS diff drop (I think):
71UfIsGXbHS._AC_SX679_.jpg

What I have (possibly from Australia?):
s-l400.jpg

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Hi John,

best,
Phil
So does my addition of BDS upper control arms that keep the ball joints in a neutral position do the same thing as a dif drop?

OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So does my addition of BDS upper control arms that keep the ball joints in a neutral position do the same thing as a dif drop?
The diff drop will lower your differential (in our case I believe it's around 1") and brings the front axles to a closer to neutral position.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
The diff drop will lower your differential (in our case I believe it's around 1") and brings the front axles to a closer to neutral position.
Learn something new everyday. All this time I thought all the posts referred to the rear differential. Actually just looked on BDS website and searched for a differential drop kit and the only thing that populated was for a Dodge truck. I am with Phil, I won't be cutting on anything including the frame, if I do this I want plug and play.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
These aren't my photos, but this is the kit I have on hand installed on a truck:
2021-07-05 12.58.08.jpg

2021-07-05 12.58.11.jpg

2021-07-05 12.58.14.jpg

2021-07-05 12.58.17.jpg

2021-07-05 12.58.21.jpg

2021-07-05 12.58.24.jpg

2021-07-05 12.58.26.jpg

2021-07-05 12.58.30.jpg

2021-07-05 12.58.32.jpg

2021-07-05 12.58.38.jpg

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Mike,

Hi Mike....not for the poor front driveshaft or the front axle CV joint angles. It allows for factory spec adjustments which can be difficult. I will say that I saw the BDS upper arms and they "looked" good, but to see other "junk"....Maybe the UCAs are an isolated good add. By the way, the upper control arm has an easy life in the suspension compared to the lower control arm...

Best,
Phil

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Mike,

Hi Mike....not for the poor front driveshaft or the front axle CV joint angles. It allows for factory spec adjustments which can be difficult. I will say that I saw the BDS upper arms and they "looked" good, but to see other "junk"....Maybe the UCAs are an isolated good add. By the way, the upper control arm has an easy life in the suspension compared to the lower control arm...

Best,
Phil
Thanks Phil!! Do you know of any Diff drops on the market that are swap outs that don't require cutting or hacking on my truck?

I discussed a diff drop with shop owner who performed my work, he said that unless I plan to race off road or do crazy stuff offroading I shouldn't need a diff drop , he felt it was an unnecessary expense for my application. Since I don't plan to go offroad much beyond trail riding or deer hunting. I like the current ride and flexibilityI have to go offroad as needed or wanted. I don't own an atv at this time. If I was younger and most importantly had the expendable income I would have the Ranger for what I use it for now and an older truck to play off road that wouldn't make me cringe in tight spaces. 45k and still making payments, I use it like a truck should be but take exceptionally good care of it.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Phil!! Do you know of any Diff drops on the market that are swap outs that don't require cutting or hacking on my truck?

I discussed a diff drop with shop owner who performed my work, he said that unless I plan to race off road or do crazy stuff offroading I shouldn't need a diff drop , he felt it was an unnecessary expense for my application. Since I don't plan to go offroad much beyond trail riding or deer hunting. I like the current ride and flexibilityI have to go offroad as needed or wanted. I don't own an atv at this time. If I was younger and most importantly had the expendable income I would have the Ranger for what I use it for now and an older truck to play off road that wouldn't make me cringe in tight spaces. 45k and still making payments, I use it like a truck should be but take exceptionally good care of it.
HI Mike,

I really do not know about mods out there as I do not really condone any mods outside of stock that are not fully tested. Ford Performance has to offer tested mods. Not always full blown tests like we do on new vehicle systems but surely tested and warranted. I am sorry but I am not aware of any diff drop mods other than BDS and only because I was asked my engineering judgement on the BDS diff drop. I was very negative on it and the OP got pissed....Go figure. Never knew if he did the diff drop or not....So if there are other diff drops, I am not aware and have never been asked to assess and I do not have the time to research anything like this either, so I am of no help to you other than to say if you go easy on your vehicle...you will likely be okay to follow your shop owner's assessment.

best,
Phil

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
HI Mike,

I really do not know about mods out there as I do not really condone any mods outside of stock that are not fully tested. Ford Performance has to offer tested mods. Not always full blown tests like we do on new vehicle systems but surely tested and warranted. I am sorry but I am not aware of any diff drop mods other than BDS and only because I was asked my engineering judgement on the BDS diff drop. I was very negative on it and the OP got pissed....Go figure. Never knew if he did the diff drop or not....So if there are other diff drops, I am not aware and have never been asked to assess and I do not have the time to research anything like this either, so I am of no help to you other than to say if you go easy on your vehicle...you will likely be okay to follow your shop owner's assessment.

best,
Phil
No worries Phil! I looked at the ebay link earlier but didn't catch that was a BDS set, that was right about the same time I forgot my about my phone and ran over it LOL.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
No worries Phil! I looked at the ebay link earlier but didn't catch that was a BDS set, that was right about the same time I forgot my about my phone and ran over it LOL.
HI Mike,

We had a term at Ford Truck for substandard parts from some of the initial design engineers....How many cycles of desk durability do you require for your part. Must it survive a 1,000 of drawer opening and closing? Because that is where your "part" is headed....otherwise it will remain untested until you fix it....

Best,
Phil

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
HI Mike,

We had a term at Ford Truck for substandard parts from some of the initial design engineers....How many cycles of desk durability do you require for your part. Must it survive a 1,000 of drawer opening and closing? Because that is where your "part" is headed....otherwise it will remain untested until you fix it....

Best,
Phil
I am like minded, do it right the 1st time or don't do it at all.
Sponsored