First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
College Professor
So I have been adding mods since leasing my Magnetic 2020 XLT like Eibach level, Raptor Grill, color match painted the tailgate emblem and bezel, and a Flowmaster 40 series exhaust. I also recently ordered raptor wheels and getting tires too. I planned to purchase at the end of the lease. I could not afford loan payments and the lease payments are almost $150 less a month. Not the point though.

(This is two days after getting it).

There are two things I wish I had in the truck. First, LED headlights, I have drop-in LED bulbs for now and will probably get the Morimoto headlights when released, so problem solved. Second, I miss the push to start I had in my challenger but I can live with the key start. There where no Lariats available within 500 miles when I got the truck.

The one regret is that it is 2wd. I did not think it would matter as I did not plan to do serious off roading. However, now I want to do some more serious off roading. (I blame you all for this, the off roading pictures mainly).

I think I have a few options, (1) purchase the truck at the end of the lease and add 4wd to this truck or (2) return to stock and trade in early or wait until the end of the lease, return to stock and get a new Ranger with all the things I want.

FYI: I have kept all of the stock parts I have replaced and will continue keep them.

What do you all think? I would love your opinions but let’s avoid the “you should have done’s”... I beaten myself about them enough already. Also, if you any information on adding 4wd such as a parts list and potential cost.
Sponsored

Last edited:

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
1 - ALways keep your OEM parts. Which you've done.
2 - Trade in when the time comes & get what you want.
3 - No idea how to make into 4x4 but all I see is pain, confusion & lots of wasted $$$.
I've only encountered this situation once. When I bought my first motorbike. 2 yrs later
I traded it for my 1980 CB750F, which I still own.

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
There’s no way buying it off lease and converting it to 4x4 is going to make any financial sense. The cost of converting a 2wd to 4x4 can be astronomical. Just turn the truck in when your lease is up and get a 4x4. At that point you can either sell your mods and buy a different truck like a 6g ranger or save your mods and buy a used 5G 4x4 and make it yours.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I think you're in for a headache trying to add 4wd. Sure it can be done but at what expense and it will not have any factory warranty.

Personally I would return it to stock and trade it in for exactly what you want. I've done similar things before and have always regretted NOT going with my gut and getting exactly what I wanted. With a new truck it's done right from the factory and you can always add an extended warranty anytime before the 3/36 is up. Depending when your lease is up there could be some rebates with Memorial Day and 4th of July coming up.

Sheepdog

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger SuperCrew 4x2 XL
Occupation
Retired police officer
Does it have the optional Electronic Locking Rear Differential?

Describe EXACTLY what you're talking about, when you say "more serious off roading". Moab? Ski trips? Mud bogging? Gravel roads? King Of The Hammers? Getting to work when there's ice on the roads? Pre-running? Wet leaves on the asphalt in front of your house? Dakar?

Many off-road vehicles have two wheel drive- your truck might be capable of a lot more than you realize... :)

Sheepdog

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired police officer
1 - ALways keep your OEM parts. Which you've done.
2 - Trade in when the time comes & get what you want.
3 - No idea how to make into 4x4 but all I see is pain, confusion & lots of wasted $$$.
I've only encountered this situation once. When I bought my first motorbike. 2 yrs later
I traded it for my 1980 CB750F, which I still own.
Pics of the CB?

OP
OP
MoldyTaco

MoldyTaco

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
College Professor
I think you're in for a headache trying to add 4wd. Sure it can be done but at what expense and it will not have any factory warranty.

Personally I would return it to stock and trade it in for exactly what you want. I've done similar things before and have always regretted NOT going with my gut and getting exactly what I wanted. With a new truck it's done right from the factory and you can always add an extended warranty anytime before the 3/36 is up. Depending when your lease is up there could be some rebates with Memorial Day and 4th of July coming up.
July 14, 2020 is the original lease day. So at a 36 month lease July 2023 is the end date. I don’t really want to wait but it looks like that is going to have to happen. Maybe Ford will offer an early turn in option before the end. ? Dodge did this a few year ago.
I guess it will have to be light off roading for a few years. Hopefully Ford does not change the wheel bot pattern on the 6g so I can keep the Raptor wheels. Everything else I am not worried about keeping.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
Most defiantly put converting it to 4wd out of your mind. Simply not practical on several levels. It’s not an FX2 so obviously it doesn’t have a rear locker but you could still throw some parts at it and have a ton of fun off-road long as you don’t get crazy or get in too deep. Just get out there and enjoy your truck.

OP
OP
MoldyTaco

MoldyTaco

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
College Professor
Most defiantly put converting it to 4wd out of your mind. Simply not practical on several levels. It’s not an FX2 so obviously it doesn’t have a rear locker but you could still throw some parts at it and have a ton of fun off-road long as you don’t get crazy or get in too deep. Just get out there and enjoy your truck.
Sounds better than I was thinking. More cost effective too. I guess Moab trips will have to wait. ?

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
As others have stated already. Not a good idea! You can add an air assist lock to rear end but that’s a 1000 bucks! If it were me I would ride out the lease and then get a Lariat with the options you want for your next ride.

Sheepdog

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired police officer
It does not have the electronic locker option. I am not thinking anything too crazy. I am thinking like Gemini Bridges or Chicken Corners at most in Moab. Also, some muddy hunting trails. This is probably not serious to many people here. ?
Yeah, you may not need four wheel drive.

And FWIW, the Electronic Locking Rear Differential is available on ALL Rangers, not just the FX2. We have it on our stripper XL 4x2...

Sheepdog

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired police officer
If you're planning to go to Moab, keep in mind that your 5% window tint on the front door glass is not legal in Utah. Of course it's also not legal in your home state of California. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any state where it would be legal. If you couldn't afford to buy the truck, you probably also won't be able to afford the tickets...

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX, 2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Occupation
Appraiser
July 14, 2020 is the original lease day. So at a 36 month lease July 2023 is the end date. I don’t really want to wait but it looks like that is going to have to happen. Maybe Ford will offer an early turn in option before the end. ? Dodge did this a few year ago.
I guess it will have to be light off roading for a few years. Hopefully Ford does not change the wheel bot pattern on the 6g so I can keep the Raptor wheels. Everything else I am not worried about keeping.
They'll likely give you a 6 month pull ahead for brand loyalty. I've leased 3 fords and the dealership starts calling about 6 months before maturity to get you into a new ford.
Sponsored