2021 4x4 diff?

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Frency, thank you for the explanations but I still do not get it … the transfer case handles the distribution front and back. After the transfer case, there are differentials front and back. If the front would be open, like the back, there would be no issue running in 4x4 all the time. But, it isn’t fully open, hence the issue.
What I am missing?
with an open front you will have one wheel that can spin free and the other wheel locked to the rear. the issue isn't the two front wheels turning at a different rate, it's that the front and back need to turn at a different rate but are locked together by the 4wd--one front wheel and one rear wheel, because there's no diff between front and back.
Sponsored

onobeka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford ranger 2.2 European model
And … I’m sent to school …
I watched in fact a lot of them, but I have found no information on what type of front differential do the Rangers have.

Please read my argument carefully… the front wheels are locked, otherwise they will be free to turn at different speeds and there would be no issue. What is locking them together if it’s not the front diff? The transfer case? That only gives input to the diffs, which take over.

onobeka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford ranger 2.2 European model
with an open front you will have one wheel that can spin free and the other wheel locked to the rear. the issue isn't the two front wheels turning at a different rate, it's that the front and back need to turn at a different rate but are locked together by the 4wd--one front wheel and one rear wheel, because there's no diff between front and back.
That makes sense, thx!

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
And … I’m sent to school …
I watched in fact a lot of them, but I have found no information on what type of front differential do the Rangers have.

Please read my argument carefully… the front wheels are locked, otherwise they will be free to turn at different speeds and there would be no issue. What is locking them together if it’s not the front diff? The transfer case? That only gives input to the diffs, which take over.
THE FRONT TIRES ARE NOT LOCKED TOGETHER WHAT SO EVER!!!!!!!! THE FRONT DIFFERENTIAL IS COMPLETELY OPEN FROM THE FACTORY!!! THE ISSUE WITH RUNNING 4X4 ON PAVEMENT IS THE FACT THAT THE TRANSFERCASE WILL NOT ALLOW SLIP BETWEEN FRONT AND REAR IN 4WD!!! WHY IS THIS? BECAUSE THERE IS NO DIFFERENTIAL IN THE TRANSFERCASE ON A 4WD!!! THE REAR DIFFERENTIAL MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE A LOCKER DEPENDING ON THE OPTIONS FROM THE FACTORY!! THE FRONT DOES NOT HAVE A LOCKER WHAT SO EVER AND EVEN IF IT DID THEY ARE NOT LOCKED TOGETHER UNTIL COMANDED!!!

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Hmm, if it would be open … there would be no trouble running in 4x4 all the time. The CVs snap when turning on asphalt in 4x4, because the diff wants that both wheels spin at the same rate …
Incorrect, you're binding against the transfer case and the rear wheels when in 4x4 on pavement. All 4 tires have enough traction that one will not spin and release the pressure of the bind, so a halfshaft is the weakest link most of the time and breaks.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Incorrect, you're binding against the transfer case and the rear wheels when in 4x4 on pavement. All 4 tires have enough traction that one will not spin and release the pressure of the bind, so a halfshaft is the weakest link most of the time and breaks.
That is what I meant to say but obviously it did not come out right in that post

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
128eqh.jpg