First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
HI Mike,

I really do not know about mods out there as I do not really condone any mods outside of stock that are not fully tested. Ford Performance has to offer tested mods. Not always full blown tests like we do on new vehicle systems but surely tested and warranted. I am sorry but I am not aware of any diff drop mods other than BDS and only because I was asked my engineering judgement on the BDS diff drop. I was very negative on it and the OP got pissed....Go figure. Never knew if he did the diff drop or not....So if there are other diff drops, I am not aware and have never been asked to assess and I do not have the time to research anything like this either, so I am of no help to you other than to say if you go easy on your vehicle...you will likely be okay to follow your shop owner's assessment.

best,
Phil
Hey @P. A. Schilke !

I'm wondering if our coms got crossed somehow???? Are referring to you being negative on this thread about the BDS kit and the OP, being me, getting pissed???? Because if you are, I assure you I am not pissed!!!! I truly value your experience and opinion, sir.

Let me know! I posted pics of the kit I got compared to what I think the BDS kit is further up on this thread, but I might be wrong.
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hey @P. A. Schilke !

I'm wondering if our coms got crossed somehow???? Are referring to you being negative on this thread about the BDS kit and the OP, being me, getting pissed???? Because if you are, I assure you I am not pissed!!!! I truly value your experience and opinion, sir.

Let me know! I posted pics of the kit I got compared to what I think the BDS kit is further up on this thread, but I might be wrong.
Hi John,

It was not you to whom I was referring as it much longer ago.... I apologize for no being clearer on that fact....

best,
Phil

OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Hi John,

It was not you to whom I was referring as it much longer ago.... I apologize for no being clearer on that fact....

best,
Phil
Ahhhhhh! Okay!

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
That linked ebay kit did not seem to have any frame cuts in the images? I would look at the truck and see how thick the stock plates are. Metal quality matters but if it is at least as thick as OEM and does not require cutting, I would at least figure it is worth a try and closely monitor the unit for a bit.

I am not sure what is involved but the tech side in me would think to put the truck on jack stands and use a hydraulic jack to support the diff for the process. Again, never looked into this, just trying to provide my thoughts.

I personally get worried about buying a part like this from Ebay. What is their reputation? Did they actually test it or just copy the BDS kit from some shop in China? I went on the BDS site and could not find a diff drop kit, so maybe the plated one you found was the china copy and the ebay one could be authentic from Australia like you suspect. Who knows.

MattS

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Fx4
I've got a diff drop sitting in a box at home and I'm about to start looking at getting some shop time to get it installed. I'm wondering what the pros and cons of a diff drop are for those with experience with them. Here is the one I've got:
Moved forward at all on this?

bfastr

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
I saw an episode of Truck U or something else on TV where Bruno and another guy put one of these on a 5G Ranger. as I recall they only had to add a mount hole in a frame member. I don't recall any cutting or welding. but of course I could have missed something. either way it might be worth trying to find the episode and watch.

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
I saw an episode of Truck U or something else on TV where Bruno and another guy put one of these on a 5G Ranger. as I recall they only had to add a mount hole in a frame member. I don't recall any cutting or welding. but of course I could have missed something. either way it might be worth trying to find the episode and watch.
S17 E2 Truck U. They install a Superlift lift kit. 3 1/2 inches on the front.
It does involve cutting to lower front diff.

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
I note with interest your front diff housing is aluminum. Our clamshell front diff looks identical but the housing is cast iron, with an aluminum extension housing. for the short side shaft.

MattS

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Fx4
So I just finished installing the Peak Suspension diff drop. It replaces the oem bracket, and you have to drill a hole in the other side that drops from the frame. The install was easy, minus one gap in drill bit sizes not wanting to bite in the smaller hole drilled previously. Not the install fault, prob just a crap drill bit. I did not have a chance to get it up to highway speeds, only up to 50. I did not notice the vibrations I was having after installing the eibach 3" kit. I will see tomorrow what it feels like on my way to work. The kit glocker has contains a lot more things. Mine was just a replacement bracket. If this breaks, I guess I will find a more substantial one that requires more work. I have not been here long, but from what I can understand I bet Phil is probably nodding his head thinking "what fools." I accept this. If it breaks, I look at it like I am just supporting the economy by having to dumb more cash into it.

seanellaz

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT CrewCab Fx4
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
I had my local 4 Wheel Parts shop install the BDS 3.5 inch lift with UCA's and the BDS Diff Drop. The BDS steel is about 2x thicker than the stock welded on one. It is pretty damn solid. I don't think it is going ANYWHERE. I have been about 4000 miles with it, a couple hundred on rocky off roads in 4Wheel low, crawling and bouncing, pulling an overland trailer, all on 295/70-17 tires mounted on 17x 10 wheels with +12mm Offset. No wiggle wobble and on inspection, the drop remains immobile, unbent, unmoved. Pretty well locked in to the frame. I have thought of taking it off, cleaning thoroughly with brake cleaner, then slathering the inside of the drop and the frame where it mounts with JBWeld to spread out any stress, but have not gotten around to it.

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
So I just finished installing the Peak Suspension diff drop. It replaces the oem bracket, and you have to drill a hole in the other side that drops from the frame.
How has this held up? I found the instructions for the kit you installed here. The only thing that worries me over what OP shows is that the Peak Suspension kit only has one bracket for the passenger side and the hole drilled on the drive side is close to the edge. If there were two brackets like the ebay kit I think it would be a much better design.

Front Dif Drop.JPG

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
Not yet. Gotta schedule some lift time.
I contacted the seller on Ebay and got a Link to the instructions. This kit is more involved but looks like it is heavy duty. Not sure why this kit includes the "passenger side diff mount" drop bracket relocation and the Peak Performance kit is just for the drivers side?

Last edited:

MattS

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Fx4
How has this held up? I found the instructions for the kit you installed here. The only thing that worries me over what OP shows is that the Peak Suspension kit only has one bracket for the passenger side and the hole drilled on the drive side is close to the edge. If there were two brackets like the ebay kit I think it would be a much better design.

Front Dif Drop.JPG
So far no issues. It's mostly been on the road, dirt a few times but nothing too crazy. Off work then rest of the year, I'll pop my gead down there and see if there is anything to note.
Sponsored