First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I didn't see it mentioned in this thread, but were the taxes part of your sales price and contract? If it was part of the deal, and you "paid" the dealer the taxes through your loan or otherwise (eg. cash), and in turn the dealer didn't pay the taxes to the state/county, then in my mind it equates to fraud (or gross negligence) on their end.

In my state, Virginia, you pay sales tax when you buy a car. The dealer collects it and is responsible for sending the taxes to the state/county.
Same here as far as process.

It's my birthday, just got done eating, enjoying some beers. Not gonna look up paper work now. But I find it hard to believe total purchase price isn't on there somewhere. Down payment, check has cleared, and Ford Financing.
When I bought my truck Ford gave me A $750 early buyer's incentive. Remember (ROVP?)
I had it in writing and in the contract signed with the balance due.
When I took delivery the dealer claimed that Ford refused to honor the approved ROVP certificate and claimed that I owed an extra $750.
Another buyer ahead of me actually paid it!
I simply said...
"I'm sorry for your loss, but that's between you and Ford...as far as I am concerned you ARE Ford and you must honor the certificate... Thank You!"

End of story
That's the stance I'm taking now.
Sponsored

OP
OP

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
If you want to negotiate halfsies, you deserve a lot more than a $400 (?) spray-in liner. Iā€™d push for more. Sorry, but Iā€™m not familiar with pricing on Ford Performance parts in the US or the dealer options available. Otherwise, Iā€™d suggest something like a lift or winter wheel set - something More expensive.

Anyway, itā€™s a crappy situation, for you and the dealer - the sales guy and the sales manager screwed up but the owner of the dealership might be a hard ass. If you have to make a deal, make it the best deal you can - take their profit out of anything you ask for. Itā€™s only fair - their mistake, not yours.

In the end, they might just say...you bought the the truck from us for a negotiated pre-tax amount of $XX,XXX. Thanks. Hereā€™s a cheque for the incorrect amount of tax you gave to us. The truckā€™s not registered. You need to go do that. We normally to do that as a value-added favour but weā€™re not required to - youā€˜re now on your own. Thank you and good luck.

That would suck! You are still in the driverā€™s seat, so negotiate HARD!
So I know I just just hit post on the last one. But it was sitting their while the "finance manager" called back.

Long conversation. After pulling teeth he offered half and half. I countered with halfsies and bedliner. He said no.

Apparently he is the "sales manager" I finalized the deal with and holds both titles. He claims he is the last option to talk with and will not budge.

His stance is he's been paid by me and Ford. If the tax is not paid the vehicle cannot be tagged, and not his problem.

Put the conversation on hold.He's gonna be back in the office noon on Friday. Got some research/ calls to make tomorrow.

My first reaction is to take halfsies and small claims his ass for the other $800.

$800 almost seems worth it to be done with it.

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
Thanks for the reassurance.

Really not liking what's going to have to go down if they don't.
there are basically only two things that make an enforceable contract: 1. Offer 2. Acceptance. they offered you a truck at X amount and you accepted that amount. My uncle was a contracts attorney and was a 'real' guy and taught me a lot, its really helped my the past 30 years writing/reviewing construction contracts!

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Just take a hardline stance.. no worries, your good. Now remember if you go back there for service work you'll be on double secret probation.. :bandit:
1610590005674.png

OP
OP

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
there are basically only two things that make an enforceable contract: 1. Offer 2. Acceptance. they offered you a truck at X amount and you accepted that amount. My uncle was a contracts attorney and was a 'real' guy and taught me a lot, its really helped my the past 30 years writing/reviewing construction contracts!
Thankyou.

Will keep that in mind.

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Ranger Roger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Honda Fit, 2004 Honda ST1300abs, 2018 Honda HR-V
That's funny Phil.

I got a check for $7 from the dealer about 45 days after purchase, DMV fee over- paid.
Same for me, I got a refund check for $30 from the dealer on overpayment.

The problem with cancelling the deal, if you could, would be that you would have to pay the full Correct amount the next time. I knew my approximate total out the when I dealt with Finance. But they still confused me. It was close. Trade in didnā€™t help.

mustang marty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger stx sabertooth , 04 stang ragtop 40th anvrs. , 66 stang fastback 2 plus 2
Occupation
A happy retired guy
That's funny Phil.

I got a check for $7 from the dealer about 45 days after purchase, DMV fee over- paid.
Same for me overcharged and got a check for a little less than 100 dollars . But they did explain their error . I guess the math wizzes flunked in the reality of the taxes w hen working the numbers .

OP
OP

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Same for me, I got a refund check for $30 from the dealer on overpayment.

The problem with cancelling the deal, if you could, would be that you would have to pay the full Correct amount the next time. I knew my approximate total out the when I dealt with Finance. But they still confused me. It was close. Trade in didnā€™t help.
Had Ford Credit correct a rate from 1.9 down to 0 before but never a dealership owning a mistake.

Dickhead at dealership says deal is done, my problem. So at this point a call to Ford Credit will determine IF I can back out.
Same for me overcharged and got a check for a little less than 100 dollars . But they did explain their error . I guess the math wizzes flunked in the reality of the taxes w hen working the numbers .
I understand math errors. I don't understand not owning your errors.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
F-Them.
F-That.

Oldest trick in the book. Sell you a car and come back for more. This is Bull Schisse of the highest magnitude. F-Them in the @.

1. If it is true and accurate - so what. Cool story bro. That tax was part of the contact I signed and if you F'd up then that's your problem not mine. I'm not in the business of paying for your ineptitude. I have a duly executed contract that will stand up in a court of law. Bring it Mo-Fos!

2. If this isn't true and they are stringing you for profit money - so what. Shady dealership. Burn that relationship and tell them to suck the fuzz off your big hairy ford driving nutz because you are smarter than the average bear and you aint falling for this. I have a duly executed contract that will stand up in a court of law. Bring it Mo-Fos!

In either case - burn them. Burn that relationship. Never go back. They are either shady or incompetent and it isn't worth your time to figure out which. They can rot in the pit of filth they created.

#IveBeenDrinkingCanYouTell ?

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
So I know I just just hit post on the last one. But it was sitting their while the "finance manager" called back.

Long conversation. After pulling teeth he offered half and half. I countered with halfsies and bedliner. He said no.

Apparently he is the "sales manager" I finalized the deal with and holds both titles. He claims he is the last option to talk with and will not budge.

His stance is he's been paid by me and Ford. If the tax is not paid the vehicle cannot be tagged, and not his problem.

Put the conversation on hold.He's gonna be back in the office noon on Friday. Got some research/ calls to make tomorrow.

My first reaction is to take halfsies and small claims his ass for the other $800.

$800 almost seems worth it to be done with it.
Sounds like what I was writing about in my other reply - honestly, Iā€™m not him. Iā€™m thousands of kilometres away in Toronto.

Crappy situation. I hope you work it out and find a good service dealer.

Strokerduster

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger XLT, 2019 Edge ST, 1946 CJ2a street rod, shop full of motoorcycles
Vehicle Showcase
"My first reaction is to take halfsies and small claims his ass for the other $800". I suspect, once you accept the deal, you will no longer have recourse in court. You are playing poker with someone who has done it before. Just set on it a day or two and let him think about it. Depending on volume of dealer, holdback and the original deal you got, $1600 could put him upside down on the deal and that is not a good thing. The 50/50 split is not biggie or he wouldn't have offered it. Use your best poker face....

TomC

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger lariat supercab FX4
Occupation
Family vehicle MX officer
i'm not from Colorado - but I would visit the DMV and see if this dealership has a history of performing poorly on math in public. If they have done this before it would be common knowledge. I would pursue a more hard-line approach in this case. If not, I would collect the 800 dollars from them and go to the DMV myself. I certainly wouldn't trust them with another 800 bucks.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
If you know an attorney I would seriously run this by them. Even a 100 for advise and a ā€˜phone callā€™ could have you sidestep this mess without opening your mouth. When attorneys call and have valid claims many will write it off instead of having it cost them far more. Worst youā€™re left with is 50/50 at this point. Time to up the anti!

AutobotXJ

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Wildlife Biologist
Definitely look at your contract and the line items on there. You agreed to that amount for the truck and they allowed you to take the keys and take it home. If there is an error, they were the ones that messed up so they should be the ones fixing the mistake, not you.
I spent hours in the finance room (where they try to trick you into the extra services and warranties) when I purchased my truck. Apparently, after I signed the first contract, Ford Financing decided to change the terms- I could no longer get the agreed upon rate and the monthly cost was too high. We went for hours until they found ways to bring my monthly cost close to the original number.
Sponsored