Not open for further replies.

GhostStrykre

First Name
Bowen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
These dealerships are hit and miss. In bike world we say "you're shopping for a bike shop, not the bike". Clearly that addage is the same here.
as others have stated, this couldn't be more true. it's tough, i bought my truck from a dealership with a fantastic salesman. i've bought 3 Fords off him in the last ten years and he always makes me feel like i got a solid deal. their service department is uhh.... hit or miss. fantastic with TSB and warranty repairs years ago, but lately they seem to be trying to avoid work, and just generally have done some dumb stuff. so here i am, with a fantastic salesman (who will actually go harass the service department on my behalf if they aren't being helpful), and a sketch service department....

sorry your dealer sucks OP. sounds like nearly all of us are in the same boat. trying to find that oasis of superior service that has only been a mirage for far too long.
Sponsored

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired
My local dealer had no problems with the ford points. Parts manager had it sorted out right away.
I should add that my dealership also had no problem with my Ford Pass Points when I purchased a swing out bed storage thingy. Just had to have the service department write up the order. Not the parts department.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
The only reason I went to a dealership and bought my truck is because I got the 72 month / 0% APR / 3 months deferred treatment. I didn't even need a vehicle.

I was reminded why I avoided them and usually bought used trucks outright.

Everything was stereotypical and cliche from the balding salesman to the perfect hair cut finance manager.

I don't have the greatest credit score, but it is 720+ and I have only a credit to debt usage of 3%. Save me your bologna bro.

Dealership sales / finance staff can make decent money, but I've come to the conclusion that 95% of time there are only a couple of types of people that work at them;

1. Former law enforcement or military (basically don't have any other skill set)
2. People who couldn't cut it at selling reality (cause lets face it, if you are a great sales person and have REAL self motivated drive you could make a shit ton more selling property. Car sales people basically sit around picking their nose waiting for for a bite)

I mean lets face it, what young person says, "When I get into my 40's to 50's I want to sell cars!" ?

My father, rest his soul, was a former marine and state police officer. By all accounts he had the drive to do whatever he wanted, but I can only assume poor planning later in life left him as a car salesman. Now we lived nice, had the boats in the garage, got that super nintendo when it first came out, etc etc

But in hindsight, its clear he ran off the road at some point. Hell one of my half brothers is in the same boat. Super smart and has good work ethic, but hes in his late 40's now selling cars at Lexus. Makes good money, but who wants selling cars to be their legacy?

There are exceptions to the rule of course, so this is basically my observed opinion.

Last edited:

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
I bought it from a dealership much farther north - mostly because this local one was so bad at sales. But this local one is close to where I work and they said they'd do the install on the FPP tune and the rest was all so low level and mundane I thought, eh. Might as well.

Imagine my surprise/disappointment.

After calling a number of other dealerships in the area (and they all giving me a similar response "we don't install FPP parts") I finally called back to the dealership I bought this from, way up north, and left a voicemail explaining things. 2 hours later they called me back said they'd be happy to get me in and take care of that install, their service manager confirmed it's work they'd be happy to do, their next opening is in another 2 weeks...

The dealership I bought this from is head and shoulders better than the local ones, it's why I ended up there originally. It's just so far away. But at least the FPP tune is getting installed (knock on wood) so I was partially mollified.

And then I went downstairs and learned my remote start no longer worked and got mad all over again.

These trucks are great. These dealerships are hit and miss. In bike world we say "you're shopping for a bike shop, not the bike". Clearly that addage is the same here.

Thanks for letting me rant. This really wound me up.
Are you in NH? The dealer near me sucks, I won’t step foot on their property.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
2 weeks out I scheduled my very first maintenance with dealership for today. That's how far out everyone is booked. 2 weeks. On the list:

* change oil/filter
* tighten up E brake
* recalibrate speedometer/odometer to account for new wheel/tire size
* adjust cruise control bracket down a few points (since I had front lifted 2" it's felt a little off)
* check out auto-sensing rain sensors which have never worked
* MOST IMPORTANTLY - Install FPP Tune

I called, confirmed, they said no problem, I booked the gig and I was patient. And today I came in 7am and they're like "we dont install FPP parts".
I reply "it's almost my entire purpose of bringing it here. We talked about it extensively " " sir I'm sorry we don't do that"

if my oil life wasn't down to 10% and we didn't have a 3,000 mile road trip in 2 weeks...If I thought there was a chance I could get a different dealership to get me an oil change in less than another 2 weeks, I'd have left I was so angry. For two weeks I could have been looking for someone to do the work. So I bit my tongue and had them do the rest.

2 hours later they get it back to me.

* change oil/filter - DONE
* tighten up E brake - NOT DONE
* recalibrate speedometer/odometer to account for new wheel/tire size - NOT DONE
* adjust cruise control bracket down a few points (since I had front lifted 2" it's felt a little off) - NOT DONE
* check out auto-sensing rain sensors which have never worked - NOT DONE
* MOST IMPORTANTLY - Install FPP Tune - REFUSED TO DO.

Oh, but they did rotate the tires - though I explicitly asked them not to.

And my remote start no longer works.

Today has not been a good truck day.
One of the (many) things I have learned from this forum is that there is a huge difference in Ford dealerships, depending on the people who own/run them. When I first shopped for a Ford Explorer in 2014, I didn't like the way the sales staff treated me a one dealership near my place of work. So dropped them midway through the deal and signed with another one not too far away, really just a few miles down the highway, not so close to work anymore but at least on the way. The second dealership is a family-owned outfit with the elderly father in the process of turning it over to the middle-aged son. The sales staff, the finance guys, the service personnel, everybody knows what they are doing, treats customers with respect, delivers what they promise, and does all work right the first time. So my current Ranger is my second new vehicle from them, and, not being a DIY guy myself, they have performed all maintenance flawlessly and installed all of the Ford Performance mods on my truck, leveling, tuning, and, yes, of course, most importantly, the tailgate damper. So, long story short, if your first dealer experience is not satisfactory--what kind of Ford dealership refuses to install FP parts?--keep trying. Not all dealers are idiots!

njdriver19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariet
I have no issue with my dealer doing the oil change, but last time I went I bought mud flaps and asked what it would cost to put on, I was shocked when they told me the price. Whatever the expected time to complete the work in the system was ridiculous.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
My career experience tells me this, for every bad business, be it a retailer or a service type business, there are hundreds who are not.
Going beyond that, for every bad business, there are tens of thousands of bad, mostly worse customers...you can take that to the bank.
Perhaps that connection isn't clear to some people. You catch more flies with honey than you do shit.
sure, it's the customer's fault that the people at the dealership make shit up when they don't know what they're doing

OP
OP
tehschkott

tehschkott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Cat herder
Vehicle Showcase
My career experience tells me this, for every bad business, be it a retailer or a service type business, there are hundreds who are not.
Going beyond that, for every bad business, there are tens of thousands of bad, mostly worse customers...you can take that to the bank.
Perhaps that connection isn't clear to some people. You catch more flies with honey than you do shit.
I want your experience where most of the dealerships are great. I guess the rest of us just keep getting bad apples. Over, and over.

Cavebat87

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Ford Service Advisor
Vehicle Showcase
In my humble opinion it's getting hard for dealerships to find techs. Good techs are few and far between. The techs dealer's do find want to be paid top dollar with little or no experience. I think sadly in future finding good service in any service related experience will be like finding a needle in a hay stack!

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
I want your experience where most of the dealerships are great. I guess the rest of us just keep getting bad apples. Over, and over.
The Ford dealership I bought my Ranger from was horrible from the moment I picked it up. I never went back and have been going to a Mazda Lincoln dealership ever since and they are terrific. They don't fool with Ford Pass though, unfortunately.

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
Closing this thread. Let’s stop the verbal assaults or some timeouts may be necessary.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.