Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Cat herder
Vehicle Showcase
2 weeks out I scheduled my very first maintenance with dealership for today. That's how far out everyone is booked. 2 weeks. On the list:

* change oil/filter
* tighten up E brake
* recalibrate speedometer/odometer to account for new wheel/tire size
* adjust cruise control bracket down a few points (since I had front lifted 2" it's felt a little off)
* check out auto-sensing rain sensors which have never worked
* MOST IMPORTANTLY - Install FPP Tune

I called, confirmed, they said no problem, I booked the gig and I was patient. And today I came in 7am and they're like "we dont install FPP parts".
I reply "it's almost my entire purpose of bringing it here. We talked about it extensively " " sir I'm sorry we don't do that"

if my oil life wasn't down to 10% and we didn't have a 3,000 mile road trip in 2 weeks...If I thought there was a chance I could get a different dealership to get me an oil change in less than another 2 weeks, I'd have left I was so angry. For two weeks I could have been looking for someone to do the work. So I bit my tongue and had them do the rest.

2 hours later they get it back to me.

* change oil/filter - DONE
* tighten up E brake - NOT DONE
* recalibrate speedometer/odometer to account for new wheel/tire size - NOT DONE
* adjust cruise control bracket down a few points (since I had front lifted 2" it's felt a little off) - NOT DONE
* check out auto-sensing rain sensors which have never worked - NOT DONE
* MOST IMPORTANTLY - Install FPP Tune - REFUSED TO DO.

Oh, but they did rotate the tires - though I explicitly asked them not to.

And my remote start no longer works.

Today has not been a good truck day.
Sponsored

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
And dealerships can't figure out why nobody wants to come to them. Why drop off my truck for 3-4 hours (at my local dealer) to get the oil changed, when I can do it myself or go to a Jiffy Lube type place and be in-n-out in 20-30 minutes ?

You're experience reminds me of the finance offices in the Air Force.....you didn't make any changes to your pay unless it was REALLY needed, because sure as the sun shines, someone will screw something up and even though it just happened, it would take a month or 2 to correct it.

I avoid the dealer unless I can't.

Edit--Get some locking lug nuts and take the key with you to avoid any unwanted tire rotations :)

Rocketeer61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
2 weeks out I scheduled my very first maintenance with dealership for today. That's how far out everyone is booked. 2 weeks. On the list:

* change oil/filter
* tighten up E brake
* adjust cruise control bracket down a few points (since I had front lifted 2" it's felt a little off)

I called, confirmed, they said no problem, I booked the gig and I was patient. And today I came in 7am and they're like "we dont install FPP parts".
I reply "it's almost my entire purpose of bringing it here. We talked about it extensively " " sir I'm sorry we don't do that"

if my oil life wasn't down to 10% and we didn't have a 3,000 mile road trip in 2 weeks...If I thought there was a chance I could get a different dealership to get me an oil change in less than another 2 weeks, I'd have left I was so angry. For two weeks I could have been looking for someone to do the work. So I bit my tongue and had them do the rest.

* recalibrate speedometer/odometer to account for new wheel/tire size - NOT DONE
* adjust cruise control bracket down a few points (since I had front lifted 2" it's felt a little off) - NOT DONE

Once you bought the truck, they forgot who you were. Typical automotive dealership. I'll bet they call you asking for more of your money, though, don't they?

OP
OP
tehschkott

tehschkott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cat herder
Vehicle Showcase
I bought it from a dealership much farther north - mostly because this local one was so bad at sales. But this local one is close to where I work and they said they'd do the install on the FPP tune and the rest was all so low level and mundane I thought, eh. Might as well.

Imagine my surprise/disappointment.

After calling a number of other dealerships in the area (and they all giving me a similar response "we don't install FPP parts") I finally called back to the dealership I bought this from, way up north, and left a voicemail explaining things. 2 hours later they called me back said they'd be happy to get me in and take care of that install, their service manager confirmed it's work they'd be happy to do, their next opening is in another 2 weeks...

The dealership I bought this from is head and shoulders better than the local ones, it's why I ended up there originally. It's just so far away. But at least the FPP tune is getting installed (knock on wood) so I was partially mollified.

And then I went downstairs and learned my remote start no longer worked and got mad all over again.

These trucks are great. These dealerships are hit and miss. In bike world we say "you're shopping for a bike shop, not the bike". Clearly that addage is the same here.

Thanks for letting me rant. This really wound me up.

OP
OP
tehschkott

tehschkott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cat herder
Vehicle Showcase
It does not help that I can do that FPP tune install myself in less than an hour - I'm a computer systems architect. But I will under no circumstances jepordize my warranty (I've never had one before) so I'm jumping through hoops to keep that intact and trying to be a good boy.

I am not by nature a good boy.

rltriumph

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Pipefitter
I bought my truck from the dealership my neighbors family runs. I paid more there than if I would have bought it from another dealer because with neighbor I can’t do my usual buying a car routine (I am a complete pain in the ass to sell a car to. I bitch and complain about every penny on sales sheet. I basically aggravate them with emails and calls for a month to wear them down and they sell me vehicle on my terms to just get rid of me) so neighbor does nice stuff like take my truck in for service and I take his take home car for a day. He talks nice nice to service manager and they go above and beyond to get stuff done. Its nice to not worry about dealing with service dept and he makes problems go away.

bkosh84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
Occupation
Construction Supervisor
These dealerships are hit and miss. In bike world we say "you're shopping for a bike shop, not the bike".
Literally this. The trucks are all coming from the same plant, it's the dealership that you are shopping for.

bkosh84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
Occupation
Construction Supervisor
which is why they should start doing direct online sales--because there are no dealerships I want to deal with
I hear you.

A couple of weeks ago I inquired about ordering a Pivot Storage Box from the dealership I purchased my truck from (had a great sales experience). I talked to the parts department and they said I'd have to go through Service to get a write up to use my Ford Pass Points for the purchase. I called the service department and they never answered or returned my call. So I went to the dealership ten minutes from my house instead and their parts department was great and had the accessory in my hand by noon the next day (AND I didn't have to have the Service Dept issue a write-up, the purchasing dept was able to pull up my points and just apply them to the purchase).

It's all about the customer experience. If you give me a crappy experience, I'm not going to use you.

rltriumph

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Pipefitter
I hear you.

A couple of weeks ago I inquired about ordering a Pivot Storage Box from the dealership I purchased my truck from (had a great sales experience). I talked to the parts department and they said I'd have to go through Service to get a write up to use my Ford Pass Points for the purchase. I called the service department and they never answered or returned my call. So I went to the dealership ten minutes from my house instead and their parts department was great and had the accessory in my hand by noon the next day (AND I didn't have to have the Service Dept issue a write-up, the purchasing dept was able to pull up my points and just apply them to the purchase).

It's all about the customer experience. If you give me a crappy experience, I'm not going to use you.
The parts dept just billed through service dept. its how ford pass works. They just saved you the walk to the service dept. some parts guys are either too stupid to figure out how to use ford points or the dealership doesn’t participate in the program.

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Only thing I bring mine vehicles in for is tires.
And I guess warranty because free parts. Wish they could just give me the new part and I return the warrantied one but can't have everything I guess.

Had my hellcat supercharger warrantied (about $7k) because of loud bearing noise which is common on early models. I drove in popped hood and service guy said "yep, she done". One was ordered within the hr, and came in the week after. Dropped car off a monday night and was done before lunch on tuesday.
I was impressed. Some worse than others I guess.

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired

* change oil/filter
* tighten up E brake

Sadly, this is very typical. The ONLY reason my truck would go to the dealer is for warranty work. And even then I do not like to do it.

snorlax

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Parts Advisor
I hear you.

Shit man I work for a jeep dealer and cant even get that to happen lol, every dealer I call there like "We dont use the points", kinda annoying really.

Johnv1991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
I like that Ford is at least moving to some online ordering for the Mach E and Bronco, and it seems new orders for other cars can be placed online with the dealer. Part of the reason I like X-Plan. Just go in tell them what I want and I know the pricing more or less.

I almost don’t even want to go back to the dealer for oil changes now that I have a truck again it’s easy enough to get underneath.

It’s actually annoying how they created a rewards system that is very complex (I feel anyway) and most dealers seem to not want to honor it for parts when there is literature that says it can be used for accessories.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.