First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
It isn't the app itself that is/was the issue. it is adjusting it on the fly. I purposely wanted a control knob (bought the ford factory controller ) however when I was setting it up to haul my camper. I stopped made sure i was good, started rolling forward and spun the knob to max sensitivity. and tapped the brakes. The trailer stopped the truck. I turned it back down after that. but I then also had control. rolling down a steep hill I can turn the trailer sensitivity up a little bit and return it with a small wrist twitch. (I had mine mounted next the gear shift , 4x4 knob)

Doing that with the app is ( I assume at least) possible. doing it while driving, on the app and on another phone call or using google maps and andriod auto is most likely very difficult.

if you have multiple tow vehicles, The curt is a great option. as you can move it from one to the next and save money when you buy or rent a new to you vehicle. It isn't infalliable interface though.
I get that. If a person has an old phone laying around they could use that. I have an old iphone 5 that I use for my drone camera that will no longer work on new phones. If/when I ever get a curt brake controller I'll use that phone for it, too.
Sponsored

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
I don't own one, but the phone app isn't suppose to be required*.

*you have to set up the controller with the app, but after that you don't need the app at all.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I would look for another cause before blaming the app.
The biggest problem I have with it is, if you need to manually apply the trailer brakes you need the app up and running. The sway incident mentioned is case in point. If your phone is busy with something else like a call, navigation, playing music you don't have access to you trailer brakes when you need it the most. I much prefer a dedicated hard wired button in that case. Maybe for infrequent towing but I would not feel comfortable for long trips with a travel trailer. JMHO

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Admin
The biggest problem I have with it is, if you need to manually apply the trailer brakes you need the app up and running. The sway incident mentioned is case in point. If your phone is busy with something else like a call, navigation, playing music you don't have access to you trailer brakes when you need it the most. I much prefer a dedicated hard wired button in that case. Maybe for infrequent towing but I would not feel comfortable for long trips with a travel trailer. JMHO
All very true. The first person I replied to had implied, or so I thought, that the controller stopped working because the phone was tied up with a call. I was just pointing out that the controller doesn't need to app to operate once it's set up. Of course if you want to control the brakes manually then you'll need the app.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
All very true. The first person I replied to had implied, or so I thought, that the controller stopped working because the phone was tied up with a call. I was just pointing out that the controller doesn't need to app to operate once it's set up. Of course if you want to control the brakes manually then you'll need the app.
Not so much wanting as NEEDING to control the brakes manually. You have no time to fumble with a phone when the need arises and no warning.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Admin
Not so much wanting as NEEDING to control the brakes manually. You have no time to fumble with a phone when the need arises and no warning.
I'm not arguing. My original post was not addressing that point.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The whole point of @gremlin original post was not that the controller had stopped working, but the app had disapeared from his phone because of a phone call. He then wanted to manually apply the trailer brakes to correct a sway condition and couldn't.
I'm not arguing. My original post was not addressing that point.
Not arguing either just bringing up what I consider to be a serious failing of the Curt wireless controller for extemded towing of a travel trailer. For infrequent towing that may require trailer brakes it is probably just fine.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Admin
The whole point of @gremlin original post was not that the controller had stopped working, but the app had disapeared from his phone because of a phone call. He then wanted to manually apply the trailer brakes to correct a sway condition and couldn't.
Yeah. That's what I said later.

Now, let me go find that dead horse to kick again.

Gone Blue

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT 4X4 Ingot Silver
I bought a used one of these Curt blue tooth brake controllers. Can anyone tell me if a trailer needs to be plugged into the Ranger to get power to the 7 pin plug? I am renting a trailer to pull with my truck and plugged the Curt unit into my truck to try and program it. The blue light does not light up so it has no power? Or the Curt unit doesnt work? Thx

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape
Truck running, open the app first, plug in curt, trailer, tap brakes

Then it should prompt you to connect for the first time, then subsequent times you just pick your profile

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I bought a used one of these Curt blue tooth brake controllers. Can anyone tell me if a trailer needs to be plugged into the Ranger to get power to the 7 pin plug? I am renting a trailer to pull with my truck and plugged the Curt unit into my truck to try and program it. The blue light does not light up so it has no power? Or the Curt unit doesnt work? Thx
Yes the truck needs to recognize a trailer is plugged in before it will power the 12 volt pin. You may need to also step on the brakes to get the truck to recognize it. You should get the warnings that a trailer is detected and the cross-traffic and back-up sensors are disabled.

Steven D Tipton

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX Supercew & Ranger XLT SuperCrew
I installed the Ford brake controller. Very happy with it and I'm glad it works in conjunction with the emergency braking system. I personally wouldn't not use anything that wasn't working with emergency braking system. Especially if your way up there with weight. Nice read though.

Peragrin

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Purchasing
correct. you need a power draw on the tow circuits of a high enough level to work. it is how and when you get to configure it too.

Those with wired brake controllers get that issue too. no trailer attached electrically no test circuit.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
I installed the Ford brake controller. Very happy with it and I'm glad it works in conjunction with the emergency braking system. I personally wouldn't not use anything that wasn't working with emergency braking system. Especially if your way up there with weight. Nice read though.
The Curt system will work with the emergency braking system. It is out of pure luck it works, not intentional design. That is because the emergency braking system lights up the brake lights, which the Curt recognizes and applied trailer brakes. That said, I also have the Ford OEM Redarc controller with the extra module. It is easier for me to have the dash mounted system, and not worry about something that could be removed from the 7-pin connection. Plus it is easier to manually brake and adjust the braking gain on the fly with the Ford controller. But I do understand the appeal of the Curt system, with what a pain in the rear the OEM install was.

gremlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, looking to buy a ranger, some other toys
I really recommend against using the curt controller for all reasons listed, but understand if you're only occasionally towing you might be okay. You can check the plug with a volt meter, can't recall on the ranger, but on our F150 I had previously the trailer plug power wasn't there until I purchased and installed a fuse in the under-hood fuse box, then it worked.

houseOfDogs

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Cab
Occupation
Retired Techie
The Curt system will work with the emergency braking system. It is out of pure luck it works, not intentional design. That is because the emergency braking system lights up the brake lights, which the Curt recognizes and applied trailer brakes.
It's a bit of a stretch to say the Curt system works out of pure luck in an emergency braking situation, as the Ford OEM Redarc controller is also using the brake lights as the trigger to apply trailer brakes in the emergency braking situation as well.

Unless you meant to say the Ford controller works by pure luck too :LOL:
Sponsored