First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger xlt supercrew
Occupation
Welder
Just ordered the curt wireless Bluetooth brake controller for pulling my RV. Anyone tried it? Did I do good?
Sponsored

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape
Just ordered the curt wireless Bluetooth brake controller for pulling my RV. Anyone tried it? Did I do good?
Soon I will get flamed for how many times I have posted this. I am not affiliated with Curt

I have the Echo and it works great, no problems, easy to use once you set up the first time (which is easy too). Didn't want to go through the hassle of hardwiring or mounting one

Jedadiah

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 XLT SuperCrew 4x2. Former '21 SuperCab Owner
I don't have any experience with it, but I've seen lots of people here recommend it, which should ease any concerns you have.

OP
OP

spieghts451

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger xlt supercrew
Occupation
Welder
Soon I will get flamed for how many times I have posted this. I am not affiliated with Curt

I have the Echo and it works great, no problems, easy to use once you set up the first time (which is easy too). Didn't want to go through the hassle of hardwiring or mounting one
Ok thanks. I’ve never pulled a trailer any bigger than a welding machine and air compressor and now I’m fixing to pull a 5,000 lbs camper with a ranger. I’m kinda fretting about it.

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Well let me know how it works. Been looking to get one too. I have a dedicated phone i will use for it too.

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape
Ok thanks. I’ve never pulled a trailer any bigger than a welding machine and air compressor and now I’m fixing to pull a 5,000 lbs camper with a ranger. I’m kinda fretting about it.
You will be fine. Mine is about 3700

Some guys are pulling much larger, using sway control

As long as you are within the weight limits. Try a truck scale or similar fully loaded prior to, or on your first trip. GVWR, GCWR, Payload

drvred

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger FX2
Occupation
Trucker
Well let me know how it works. Been looking to get one too. I have a dedicated phone i will use for it too.
Once you set it, you don't need to have your phone with you.

KRock

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
I used mine all season with my wife's X3 to pull a pup up that at 3000 lbs loaded is heavy for a small SUV. I had planned to get a hard-wired brake controller for the Ranger that I just bought two weeks ago but the Echo works so well I figure why bother? Lots of other items I would like to buy first.

The X3 with a 4 cylinder turbo and 10 speed pulled like the trailer wasn't there. Unfortunately, it didn't like stopping until I added electric brakes and the brake controller though. Looking forward to towing with the truck and see a bigger camper in my future.

Kevin

ranger4x

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 301a
Last few years I have been renting out a 26 foot toy hauler that I bought just for that purpose. I bought one of the Echo's on the recommendation of another owner who was renting theirs out. It worked great. I'd have the renter download it before coming to pick it up and never had to worry about whether they had a properly installed brake controller. Because of the size I had a lot of 1500/150 owners renting it that didn't have one. Charged $20 a day for the add on. Never had a complaint about it.

Peragrin

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Purchasing
I bought the ranger to tow a camper, though I am having the ford factory brake controller installed. however my Brother does those installs for a living so I get the install for free. I considered the Curt. it was a good option.

How did it end up towing a 5,000lbs camper?

Jdfielding

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Fx4
Occupation
Construction
I pull one the same size all the time it will be fine, I use the curt and a weight distribution hitch. It bucks a little when I’m on the heavy side but it’s manageable. Surprised how good the ranger can tow.

Jdfielding

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Fx4
Occupation
Construction
I use mine all the time, really helps the towing capacity of the ranger be supported with big breaking power. I use it and try to use Apple car play for everything else. If I was smart I would have a dash mount for my phone so it’s easier to use, I’ll end up messing with an app and then hit a curvy downhill and have topop back to the app, right now I keep it in my cup holder.

gremlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, looking to buy a ranger, some other toys
I have one, used it once, and it worked great for the brakes, but at some point the trailer started swaying when I looked down to hit the button on the phone I Realised the app was gone because a phone call had come in. I now was a solo driver in a truck with a slightly swaying trailer trying to one hand it to put the brakes on, that right there ended my usage. I installed the ford controller the next weekend.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
I have one, used it once, and it worked great for the brakes, but at some point the trailer started swaying when I looked down to hit the button on the phone I Realised the app was gone because a phone call had come in. I now was a solo driver in a truck with a slightly swaying trailer trying to one hand it to put the brakes on, that right there ended my usage. I installed the ford controller the next weekend.
I don't own one, but the phone app isn't suppose to be required*.

*you have to set up the controller with the app, but after that you don't need the app at all.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I would look for another cause before blaming the app.

Peragrin

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Purchasing
I don't own one, but the phone app isn't suppose to be required*.

*you have to set up the controller with the app, but after that you don't need the app at all.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I would look for another cause before blaming the app.
It isn't the app itself that is/was the issue. it is adjusting it on the fly. I purposely wanted a control knob (bought the ford factory controller ) however when I was setting it up to haul my camper. I stopped made sure i was good, started rolling forward and spun the knob to max sensitivity. and tapped the brakes. The trailer stopped the truck. I turned it back down after that. but I then also had control. rolling down a steep hill I can turn the trailer sensitivity up a little bit and return it with a small wrist twitch. (I had mine mounted next the gear shift , 4x4 knob)

Doing that with the app is ( I assume at least) possible. doing it while driving, on the app and on another phone call or using google maps and andriod auto is most likely very difficult.

if you have multiple tow vehicles, The curt is a great option. as you can move it from one to the next and save money when you buy or rent a new to you vehicle. It isn't infalliable interface though.
Sponsored