Prodigy RF Wireless Brake Controller

johnitahoe

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Sport/FX
Has anyone tried this wireless brake controller. Apparently it takes the brake control from the seven pin connector brake lights. So if the Ranger brake lights are already wired to the connector it might prevent people from having to tear apart their vehicle to get to the high mounted brake light. One potential advantage is that it probably doesn't require any changes to the vehicle. Nothing installed in the truck so it might protect those folks that are concerned about voiding the warranty.

I HAVE NO IDEA IF THIS WOULD WORK. WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM SOME EXPERTS HERE!!

Of course with this controller vehicle and trailer must be matched so you can't tow a trailer without the same wireless brake controller.

There is a YouTube video about the controller.

I'd really like hear from someone knowledgable about Brake Controller. My trailer purchase is just waiting on me coming up with a Brake Controller for my Ranger.

Seems like there are only two options so far:
1) Use the prewired Ford Connections and turn off AEB
2) Tear into the vehicle and use high mount brake light
3) Any other options?

Thanks,
John
Sponsored

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Has anyone tried this wireless brake controller
Dig around the site, someone has reported trying it without success, speculating that the cross traffic alert radar or something else was causing interference. I don't think there have been other reports of either success or failure.

Seems like there are only two options so far:
1) Use the prewired Ford Connections and turn off AEB
2) Tear into the vehicle and use high mount brake light
3) Any other options?
4) use the prewired ford connections and just don't worry about AEB, just as you would have done with any truck a few years ago.

OP
OP

johnitahoe

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Sport/FX
Dig around the site, someone has reported trying it without success, speculating that the cross traffic alert radar or something else was causing interference. I don't think there have been other reports of either success or failure.

4) use the prewired ford connections and just don't worry about AEB, just as you would have done with any truck a few years ago.
I like idea number 4 but I would need Ford to install it that way because I don't want there to be any excuses on my 8 year 125K warranty.

DrSafety

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Electric Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I like idea number 4 but I would need Ford to install it that way because I don't want there to be any excuses on my 8 year 125K warranty.
Ford doesn’t have to install and cannot legally void your warranty based on the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act. The act addresses the installation of aftermarket parts and unless Ford can prove beyond doubt that the part caused the issue with the vehicle they cannot void the warranty. It is a high bar to be able to void a warranty for an after market part addition. I think with a brake controller using the wires provided by Ford for that purpose you would have nothing to worry about.

Last edited:

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You're being a little ridiculous, but it's your truck so you can certainly do what you want.

Archie Francisco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
I have been using the Tekonsha prodigy RF for 6 months. I have taken 3 trips with the trailer
and so far it works great. I am pulling a Lance 1985 that is about 5300 to 5400 lbs. loaded.
Costs a little more but no installation issues to mess with.

Jimmy07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL/STX
Archie .... did the Prodigy RF have an effect on the automatic emergency brakes or the trailer sway control features ??

ausable

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2018 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Archie .... did the Prodigy RF have an effect on the automatic emergency brakes or the trailer sway control features ??
We turn off the automatic emergency brake. We know our Tekonsha isn't wired to be compatible with that system. That's fine. We don't have auto emergency braking on our F-150 either as the F-150 doesn't have that system,. The incompatibility is merely that if auto braking was activated, the trailer's brake lights wouldn't come on. The trailer's lights come on when the brake pedal is pushed by the driver. We're fine with towing, as we always have, as millions of tow vehicles have towed for nearly a century. The driver must actually drive the truck. No lane keeping on, no emergency braking, no adaptive cruise control.

Archie Francisco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
I haven't turned off the automatic emergency braking on any of my trips. So unless it turns itself off when you hook up your trailer it has been active. From what I understand the Prodigy RF does not use the signal from the brake or brake lights to activate. It uses the unit mounted on the trailer to sense the breaking motion and apply the brakes.
I would think that this would not interfere with the emergency braking. If the truck slows down the brakes are activated whether it is you or the automated system.

ausable

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2018 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't turned off the automatic emergency braking on any of my trips. So unless it turns itself off when you hook up your trailer it has been active. From what I understand the Prodigy RF does not use the signal from the brake or brake lights to activate. It uses the unit mounted on the trailer to sense the breaking motion and apply the brakes.
I would think that this would not interfere with the emergency braking. If the truck slows down the brakes are activated whether it is you or the automated system.

I couldn't say, with your RF system one way or another. The issue with our hard wired Tekonsha is that if "I" push the brake pedal, the trailer brake lights activate to alert folks behind me I am braking. If the truck should activate the brakes by the "emergency" tech sensors, the trailer's brake lights would not light up. So, it's best we just shut off that tech. Although, if the truck suddenly self braked, I'm sure my instinct would be to hit the brake pedal with my foot anyhow, but there would a slight delay, I suppose. I just don't know.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It should use a combination of the brake light signal and an acceleration sensor. If it didn't use the brake light signal, the trailer brakes would come on whenever you took your foot off the gas.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is what i found on etrailer. https://www.etrailer.com/tv-review-tekonsha-prodigy-rf-wireless-brake-controller-90250.aspx
I will be towing the trailer in a couple of weeks and will do a little more testing and evaluating on the prodigy rf.
Go to the source: https://www.tekonsha.com/support/installation/N90250.pdf : "Trailer braking is initiated and terminated via signals on the trailer wiring, (Left and Right Turn and Stop). When the brake pedal is released, the trailer braking will cease."
Sponsored