Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Fluid starts oozing from pores it was never supposed to come out of.
I'm going to assume no one here knows what will happen...

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
Over filled trans could mean over pressuring, or too much pressure on the solenoids that can cause failure. Seals could fail too, most likely internal ones first that would cost more to fix, could blow the pump as well. Not to mention extra drivetrain losses due to more drag.

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ranger FX4 Lariat (totaled), 23 Audi Q5
Occupation
Automating Buildings and confusing humans
I'm going to assume no one here knows what will happen...
What he said ^ above.
A friend of mine had a transmission "flush" done by a dealer on older Explorer. They overfilled it and it blew the seals and had some crazy shifting. The dealership covered a transmission replacement.

Muddy Fenders

Banned
Banned
First Name
Judd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Foaming is a problem when overfilled.
Which leads to lowered viscosity, increased temps and more wear in addition to the above stated issues.
There's a line which would be a perfect balance, but lets be realistic here, its painted with a very wide brush. Depending on your demands from the trans, it will dictate what the result will be whether you are too low or too high. Which is why some people see no difference, while others see improvement. I would assume others out there have seen things get worse too.
Not to be the devils advocate here, but I wouldn't be surprised is a few home tinkerers will see the worse side too, even with their good intentions.

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
I thought most transmissions had a blow-off valve or something to that effect?

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
This is super helpful - my transmission has always made more noise than I liked - thanks to @Fitzmotor for the thread and @ctechbob for this video - once the rain stops I'll go check it cold with the motor off :crackup:
No, you still need to have the engine running. This method just allows you to do it before everything down there gets scorching hot.

Ray_kayak_guy

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4
No, you still need to have the engine running. This method just allows you to do it before everything down there gets scorching hot.
I was kidding but thanks for making sure I wasn't a total dunce and misread the thread! I appreciate the very helpful disposition of this site!

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Quick update for anyone playing along at home: The Mercon ULV fluid I ordered (2 qts) arrived last week. I added 1/2 qt first, then re-checked the level cold. The very bottom area (below the 6 hash marks) had a bit of fluid on it, but that was it. I added another 1/2 quart (so, 1 full quart added). This brought the level up to even with the 5 on the stick, when checked slightly warmed (by that I mean that the engine had been running for around 90 seconds, all the gears had been cycled, and it was checked in park, with engine running. The shroud on the cat was warm (almost uncomfortably so) to the touch, and the trans pan was beginning to get warm (nowhere near up to operating temp, but not stone cold either). Note that this may be *slightly* overfilled ... by like 2 ounces. Based on all the sources I could check, when checked cold, the fluid should be between 6 and 5 on the stick, when hot it should be between 5 and 4. Anything higher than 4 when hot is considered overfilled. I have no idea how much fluid that would really mean.. but it took 1/2 quart to go from bottom of the stick to bang on 5 when measured cold, for whatever that is worth.

This transmission is supposed to hold 12.5 quarts. I'm not going to be too concerned about possibly overfilling by a couple of ounces.

Now on to what everyone probably really wants to know: Did this make any difference to how the truck drives? YES. Shifts are silky smooth now.. to the point I have to really pay attention to even detect when it is shifting when the throttle is not loaded up. Prior to topping off the fluid, frequently I'd get hard/harsh shifts, and putting the truck in reverse first thing in the morning could sometimes cause a really hard thunk/thud as it shifted, and again when going from reverse to drive. It has not done that yet at all since topping off... park to reverse is smooth, as is reverse to drive - even after leaving the truck parked overnight outside in mid-40ÂşF temps.

I waited a few days since topping off the transmission to post any of my thoughts as I wanted to have some serious butt dyno time under my belt before reporting my impressions. I topped it off on Thursday, then left that afternoon to drive down to the Grand Canyon to hike. 2000 miles later, and I can confidently say that a) my transmission was DEFINITELY underfilled at the factory, and b) the truck now shifts smoother in all scenarios: light acceleration, heavy acceleration (freeway onramps, from 20 mph up to 70 mph as well as passing at highway speeds, etc), engine cold, engine hot, etc.

Sorry to ramble on so long, but I wanted to capture as much detail as I could while everything is fresh. Hopefully my experience is useful to others.

Here's a shot of the fluid level after adding 1 full quart, when checked cold (well, slightly warm):

IMG_8090 2.jpg

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
Quick update for anyone playing along at home: The Mercon ULV fluid I ordered (2 qts) arrived last week. I added 1/2 qt first, then re-checked the level cold. The very bottom area (below the 6 hash marks) had a bit of fluid on it, but that was it. I added another 1/2 quart (so, 1 full quart added). This brought the level up to even with the 5 on the stick, when checked slightly warmed (by that I mean that the engine had been running for around 90 seconds, all the gears had been cycled, and it was checked in park, with engine running. The shroud on the cat was warm (almost uncomfortably so) to the touch, and the trans pan was beginning to get warm (nowhere near up to operating temp, but not stone cold either). Note that this may be *slightly* overfilled ... by like 2 ounces. Based on all the sources I could check, when checked cold, the fluid should be between 6 and 5 on the stick, when hot it should be between 5 and 4. Anything higher than 4 when hot is considered overfilled. I have no idea how much fluid that would really mean.. but it took 1/2 quart to go from bottom of the stick to bang on 5 when measured cold, for whatever that is worth.

This transmission is supposed to hold 12.5 quarts. I'm not going to be too concerned about possibly overfilling by a couple of ounces.

Now on to what everyone probably really wants to know: Did this make any difference to how the truck drives? YES. Shifts are silky smooth now.. to the point I have to really pay attention to even detect when it is shifting when the throttle is not loaded up. Prior to topping off the fluid, frequently I'd get hard/harsh shifts, and putting the truck in reverse first thing in the morning could sometimes cause a really hard thunk/thud as it shifted, and again when going from reverse to drive. It has not done that yet at all since topping off... park to reverse is smooth, as is reverse to drive - even after leaving the truck parked overnight outside in mid-40ÂşF temps.

I waited a few days since topping off the transmission to post any of my thoughts as I wanted to have some serious butt dyno time under my belt before reporting my impressions. I topped it off on Thursday, then left that afternoon to drive down to the Grand Canyon to hike. 2000 miles later, and I can confidently say that a) my transmission was DEFINITELY underfilled at the factory, and b) the truck now shifts smoother in all scenarios: light acceleration, heavy acceleration (freeway onramps, from 20 mph up to 70 mph as well as passing at highway speeds, etc), engine cold, engine hot, etc.

Sorry to ramble on so long, but I wanted to capture as much detail as I could while everything is fresh. Hopefully my experience is useful to others.

Here's a shot of the fluid level after adding 1 full quart, when checked cold (well, slightly warm):

IMG_8090 2.jpg
Thanks Quang, I always appreciate the effort and detail you include in posts like this. Now I gotta check mine, it seems like it could be in the same boat.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Happy sorry to report that my fluid/filter change has NOT resolved the shifting issues...everything is back to normal went to hell and the tranny exploded...$6,000!!!!

Last edited:

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
Happy to report that my fluid/filter change has resolved the shifting issues...everything is back to normal...
ouch. hope everything is good for a long time Sid.
Sponsored