Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
ouch. hope everything is good for a long time Sid.
? ? ?Thanks but I think you missed a long line of updates...my tranny eventually blew up! That's the problem with 30 threads about the same subject...
Sponsored

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
? ? ?Thanks but I think you missed a long line of updates...my tranny eventually blew up! That's the problem with 30 threads about the same subject...
I did know that, and ugh- that sucks. I meant I hope your new one is good for a long time. I suspect mine is underfilled from the assembly plant. I spent the morning trying to track down a little bit of Mercon ULV hoping to avoid any future problems before I sell the truck, but it ain't so easy on a Sunday. Dealer item only I suppose.

TOMDEE

Banned
Banned
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 lariat
Occupation
retired
I have seen all the posts and comments about it on here before, I thought "It's working fine" and I'm not even going to crawl under there with the thick gloves and long sleeves to check it.

Well it hit 116 degrees here and the trans started whine at that temp, I was about to go on a 2k trip, dealer couldn't look at it in time.

Sure enough 1.75 quarts low, been driving it for 16k no problems, until now that is and until it got this hot, now it's quiet when hot and the hard/erratic cold shift is better.

Before anybody bags on the dealer about missing it in the PDI, I dont think it can be included in the PDI, the time to get it up to temp, and physically check it has to be most of what the whole PDI pays, (you can bag on them for tire pressures and washer fluid though:crackup:) when I did them they ranged from 0.8-1.4 hours, they were gravy, most guys just put on the plastic frames and plates and flagged it, I at least covered the levels and tire pressures.
I WOULDN'T HAVE THE SLIGHTEST IDEA AS TO HOW TO CHECK THE TRANNY FLUID ON THESE VEHICLES, THERE'S NOT THE USUAL DIPSTICK THAT I CAN SEE?

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
Got a quart of Mercon ULV yesterday, I'll wait until the polar vortex leaves the area before climbing under the truck to check levels. I do have the a weird shift into 4th when the truck is cold.

While chatting with the parts counter guy, he said the 10R80 is becoming quite a problem for Ford, and when I mentioned that I had read where many Rangers were underfilled from the factory he just kinds smiled and nodded. It didn't give me a great feeling TBH, but what can ya do except try to properly maintain the truck and hope for the best anymore. ugh.

GrayFox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger
Occupation
Mantanice
Question about the dipstick cover. It is a 19mm right? That's the only thing I found that seemed to fit but that still felt a bit lose. Also how tight is it suppose to be I never got it off I felt like I was going to break something before I got it to break lose.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Question about the dipstick cover. It is a 19mm right? That's the only thing I found that seemed to fit but that still felt a bit lose. Also how tight is it suppose to be I never got it off I felt like I was going to break something before I got it to break lose.
Yes 19mm...hand snug with wrench...that's enough to stay on....probably 5ftlb...it's aluminum and probably won't hold much more torque...

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
same here, i had to sweet talk a cheater bar in between the tire and frame to get the cap off the dipstick. it was on crazy tight. ford really did not want us checking that fluid.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
Yes 19mm...hand snug with wrench...that's enough to stay on....probably 5ftlb...it's aluminum and probably won't hold much more torque...
same here, i had to sweet talk a cheater bar in between the tire and frame to get the cap off the dipstick. it was on crazy tight. ford really did not want us checking that fluid.
I tried to check mine an it wouldn't budge. I'll have to take the persuader with me next time I crawl under. Probably Wed when I change the oil.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I tried to check mine an it wouldn't budge. I'll have to take the persuader with me next time I crawl under. Probably Wed when I change the oil.
Shouldn't be that tight...when it's off, you'll notice how light it is...over torqueing could break the head off the thread...

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
I just used a flex gear wrench to get mine off. Maybe too much damper use has had an effect??

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
Shouldn't be that tight...when it's off, you'll notice how light it is...over torqueing could break the head off the thread...
I think the guy that installed the factory oil filter installed the trans dipstick cap.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
When I installed my B&M trans dipstick I found it was much easier to access the OE dipstick via the passenger side wheel well.
If you remove the rubber splash guard like you do for the oil filter and crank the steering all the way over you can see and access the dipstick from the side. Bit of a reach, but much easier than trying to snake your arm up thru the exhaust.
Sponsored