OP

GearHd6

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
I wonder how many people that spend so much time coating the body, actually touch the frame and chassis.

I lol hard everytime i see mirror like finishes on 5-10 year old vehicles, only to notice the decayed frames and chassis underneath.

Personally, cause my truck gets coated in rock dust at work from the neighboring rock crushing plant, I dont think its worth the risk trying to touch the paint
My truck is already scheduled to go in next week for a full NHOU Bosswax and then fluid coating of all the internals a few weeks later.
Sponsored

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
JaxWax has a kit. As others have said, it is all in the prep work. Follow the directions and it will turn out fine. I did our Durango four years ago and it is finally starting to show signs of needing to be redone. I did the ranger a couple of months ago and hopefully it will last as long. I plan on adding a graphene spray coating in the fall and spring to see if that helps.

troutspinner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
My one truck was black and I had it professionally ceramic coated. It looked great and the shine lasted longer between washes. I would not do it again though. I would for black only but I doubt I ever buy another black vehicle.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
I wonder how many people that spend so much time coating the body, actually touch the frame and chassis.

I lol hard everytime i see mirror like finishes on 5-10 year old vehicles, only to notice the decayed frames and chassis underneath.

Personally, cause my truck gets coated in rock dust at work from the neighboring rock crushing plant, I dont think its worth the risk trying to touch the paint
Move to the south and you won't have that problem with rotted frames from road salts.

YaBoiNewton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT supercrew Sport FX4, 2008 Bullitt w Saleen Supercharger
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

I live in Florida. The frame will just be a little dirty in 10 years.

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
I used a Meguiars clay "pad" on the whole truck, then Meguiars Ceramic Hybrid wax after washing the truck (sprayed on while it's still wet). Used a microfiber clothe to dry and then buffed the haze off with a dry microfiber towel. I use their ceramic detailer after regular washes. I do this in the spring and fall, but my truck is in the garage more than it's in the sun. Once I run out of the Meguiars, I'll probably go with the Graphene stuff. Even though I can buy it at Wally World, it still beats the old school wax hands-down.

Sparky2

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired electrician
Move to the south and you won't have that problem with rotted frames from road salts.
unless you move close to a ocean then the
Keep us posted on how easy it is to use and results.
The stuff I avoid is the stuff sold at places like Wal-Mart.
Friday I had about 5 minutes to kill before running to a dr appointment so I thought “let’s do the hood”. I had washed it the day before so I dusted off the hood first then lightly misted one side with the product and wiped it in with a clean microfiber cloth and right away wiped and buffed it with a 2nd microfiber cloth then did the other side. It is slick as snot now, almost too slick. Later I popped the hood to check the battery voltage while the truck was running to verify the alternator was working correctly and it so slick that I almost had trouble getting it closed.

It’s been raining so I’ll need to re wash the truck before I do the rest of the body but as of now I’m sold. Amazon 21 bucks for 16 oz spray bottle, the gallon size was like 39.00. Apparently it can be used as a drying aide also.
Paul

mr.wonderful

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Software Developer
Most coatings out there are only good for 2 years and then needs to be redone. If you’re paying someone to do that better gulp first before you hear how much they want to do it.

I’m doing mine myself. Chemical Guys has a coating they say is good for 5 years. Time will tell on that claim. That’s a DYI or have a shop do it for you!

Lots of prep works needs to be done if you’re DYI type. Clay bar, compound polishing, alcohol clean and then comes the coating. Sizeable investment to do it right and you only get one shot at that too!

This is spot on, but I would add an iron removal, especially if the truck was sitting in the snow. My detailer friend and I did my coating together, and even with the iron removal, it still bled a bit......

@GearHd6 it sounds like you are having it done professionally. Listen to what your detailer says in terms of washing/coating maintenance. A lot of auto washes uses detergents that are very acidic on the pH scale, and it will eat the coating alive. Typically, the only reason I visit a DIY wash is the ones local to me have access to deionized/softened water, which makes rinsing easy, plus they have an air dryer system. Other than that, I typically bring my own buckets, detergents, mitts, etc. Stuff that I know is coating safe. There's also a reason why I try not to go when the wash is busy........

Speaking of, I need to wash my truck ?

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
unless you move close to a ocean then the

Friday I had about 5 minutes to kill before running to a dr appointment so I thought “let’s do the hood”. I had washed it the day before so I dusted off the hood first then lightly misted one side with the product and wiped it in with a clean microfiber cloth and right away wiped and buffed it with a 2nd microfiber cloth then did the other side. It is slick as snot now, almost too slick. Later I popped the hood to check the battery voltage while the truck was running to verify the alternator was working correctly and it so slick that I almost had trouble getting it closed.

It’s been raining so I’ll need to re wash the truck before I do the rest of the body but as of now I’m sold. Amazon 21 bucks for 16 oz spray bottle, the gallon size was like 39.00. Apparently it can be used as a drying aide also.
Paul
What product are you talking about? I must have missed it.

Sparky2

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired electrician
What product are you talking about? I must have missed it.
sorry, been out of town on vacation.
I used technicians choice tec582 ceramic detail spray. Very very easy to apply and it’s beyond slick. When I got the time to do the entire truck I realized that a minor clear coat scratch on the top of the truck became virtually invisible after using the product so it appears to have some mild healing properties too. I’m sold!
paul

Johnv1991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
I’ve been doing a lot of reading on it. I’m going to do a paint correction and ppf. Ceramic isn’t going to protect your truck from stone chips etc like ppf will.
Correct. Did you get quotes for this? This is going to be several thousand from any shop that’s half way decent.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
What ceramic coating are y'all using?
I'm planning to get locally (Walmart or O'Rielly) or snag on Amazon and DIY it. Doing the wife's Supra first because it is small and brand new paint still. Daughter just got her car painted and it goes back to school soon so it will be next. Then the truck which should be the most difficult because of size, height, and amount of surface area.

Will be washing, clay bar'ing and coating the two cars. May opt to compound the truck since it is a 2019.
Sponsored