CK74

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Hey everyone.

Just recently bought my Ranger and (unknowingly) bought a dealership package for a clear bra and ceramic coating service. I wasn't aware it was an optional add on.

Before I begin the process of trying to refund this expensive add on, does anyone think this service is necessary? Did anyone else do this to their truck?

Thanks,
Charlie
Sponsored

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
Clear bra. How much does it cover? These are very good at front protection and if done well. Look good. Last 3-5 years, then replace. Can last longer but will show age from scuffs and rocks. Reason it is on vehicle. I would want this on front, front fenders and hood. Is the installer good?

Ceramic coating. In time will still show wear and must recoat or removed. Removing is harder. I would wrap front as above and wax polish the rest. Skip ceramic. Maybe ceramic the wheels.

My GTI has front 12" of hood wrapped and headlights have light tint film. $1,500 light option so wanted to protect. 4 years later with film removed, look new. Wish I had covered the bumper but harder than my skill set now.

FB2A18C9-65FE-468D-B380-94B84C495F18.jpeg

7B323EF2-F352-4C5C-8665-21854801C1F2.jpeg

Last edited:

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
No, and No on both. Just ways of separating you from your money. How much did they charge for this dealership money maker?

OP
OP
CK74

CK74

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Clear bra. How much does it cover? These are very good at front protection and if done well. Look good. Last 3-5 years, then replace. Can last longer but will show age from scuffs and rocks. Reason it is on vehicle. I would want this on front, front fenders and hood. Is the installer good?

Ceramic coating. In time will still show wear and must recoat or removed. Removing is harder. I would wrap front as above and wax polish the rest. Skip ceramic. Maybe ceramic the wheels.

My GTI has front 12" of hood wrapped and headlights have light tint film. $1,5000 light option so wanted to protect. 4 years later with film removed, look new. Wish I had covered the bumper but harder than my skill set now.

View attachment 12976
Thanks for the response. I'm sure the service is beneficial, the problem is they want to charge upwards of $5,000. It's from the service department at the dealership and they've been stubborn about refunding (even though I haven't scheduled anything and they haven't contacted any vendors). Maybe they would be willing to provide just the clear bra. In general, I'd rather spend the money on upgrading the headlamps and maybe a level.
No, and No on both. Just ways of separating you from your money. How much did they charge for this dealership money maker?
Charged damn near $5,000 when it's all said and done. I understand its utility but my family has owned many cars in the past and never needed it. Hopefully I can get it removed but these finance guys are stingy about their commission. I know that guy makes x amount of dollars for every package he slips under the rug on customers.

Stevie Gee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Rancho Santa Margarita (Orange County),CA
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
Retired Fed - H.U.D. (Housing and Urban Development)
Vehicle Showcase

My GTI has front 12" of hood wrapped and headlights have light tint film. $1,500 light option so wanted to protect. 4 years later with film removed, look new. Wish I had covered the bumper but harder than my skill set now.

FB2A18C9-65FE-468D-B380-94B84C495F18.jpeg

7B323EF2-F352-4C5C-8665-21854801C1F2.jpeg
I’ve done the same thing on servers cars....all but the bumpers, and wish I had.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the response. I'm sure the service is beneficial, the problem is they want to charge upwards of $5,000. It's from the service department at the dealership and they've been stubborn about refunding (even though I haven't scheduled anything and they haven't contacted any vendors). Maybe they would be willing to provide just the clear bra. In general, I'd rather spend the money on upgrading the headlamps and maybe a level.

Charged damn near $5,000 when it's all said and done. I understand its utility but my family has owned many cars in the past and never needed it. Hopefully, I can get it removed but these finance guys are stingy about their commission. I know that guy makes x amount of dollars for every package he slips under the rug on customers.
On my 2016 Tacoma, I ripped off the clear bra the port added. I refused to pay for it. Waste of money as far as I am concerned. Been driving for 35 years and had nice cars and never needed it before. Nothing looks worse than old clear bra on a white vehicle. Doesn't take that long to see the dirty seams

DON'T PAY FOR SOMETHING YOU DON"T WANT, Hope you have not finalized the sale......When the dealer ADDS anything before the sale,, it's for pure profit...

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
OK, now you give price.
For $5,000, then no to both.
For $5,000 that better be a full, complete, top to bottom truck wrap plus ceramic.

Skip both from dealer.

The wrap for the front, no bumper just the painted part above bumper and below lights, plus 12" of hood would be the entry level I would do. If you are interested, find a shop that does this and get quote on that entry level. Then decide.

If you are one who never notices rock chip on your bumper after 5 years, then skip all of it. I have had vehicles I did not worry about, but after 38 years of driving, guess I am learning. Also depends on what you do with the truck and how long you will keep. If a work truck, skip it.
If like most of us you purchased a $40,000 family truck that you want to look good, then what is $600-800.

The hood piece is normally easier to do. The Ranger will be more complicated with all the steep curves. The bumper would be new territory for me but might be easier than the hood. If you do yourself you can replace every 2 years if it starts to look old. Film is not as costly without labor. Film is not intended to stay on for 10 years.

NVHoonigan

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Clear bra in my area is a necessity and the dealership gave me a 10 year full warranty on it. If something goes wrong or looks bad in that 10 years they will replace it. For $5K, no way! That dealer is absolutely price gouging the product. Good luck in getting your money back!

Formula Indy

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
My clear bra for the whole front plus mirrors, headlights, including 1/3 of hood is $799. The new products are much better than the old ones that used to yellow quickly. This 5k deal is outrageous but not all clear bras are bad.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hey everyone.

Just recently bought my Ranger and (unknowingly) bought a dealership package for a clear bra and ceramic coating service. I wasn't aware it was an optional add on.

Before I begin the process of trying to refund this expensive add on, does anyone think this service is necessary? Did anyone else do this to their truck?

Thanks,
Charlie
Not needed. I took the dealership clear bra off. IF you are overly concerned about chips, a clear bra may help, I prefer the chip repair over any clear bra. Looks great and is inexpensive and does not need to be replaced every few years.

Jerry Caldwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired Architect
Not needed. I took the dealership clear bra off. IF you are overly concerned about chips, a clear bra may help, I prefer the chip repair over any clear bra. Looks great and is inexpensive and does not need to be replaced every few years.
Why would you take the clear bra off that is already applied? Makes no sense to me. You could wait 5 to 10 years, remove it then, and have a perfect paint job on the front of your vehicle.

SafetyDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 V2 - Ranger Lariat, FX4, 501A, Trailer Tow (Lightning Blue), V1- Lariat, FX4, 500A, Trailer Tow (Ingot Silver) <Epic Fail - Lemon>
Vehicle Showcase
Why would you take the clear bra off that is already applied? Makes no sense to me. You could wait 5 to 10 years, remove it then, and have a perfect paint job on the front of your vehicle.
I took a trip to Alaska on a MC, before leaving I applied Clear Bra to all Lights, painted, and chrome surfaces facing forward. Upon returning the Clear bra was a pitted, when I removed it the lights, paint, and chrome were in like new condition, I am putting this on my truck, even if I have to replace it in 5 years, the lack of damage and paint repair is worth it. Just my 2 cents.

Jerry Caldwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired Architect
I took a trip to Alaska on a MC, before leaving I applied Clear Bra to all Lights, painted, and chrome surfaces facing forward. Upon returning the Clear bra was a pitted, when I removed it the lights, paint, and chrome were in like new condition, I am putting this on my truck, even if I have to replace it in 5 years, the lack of damage and paint repair is worth it. Just my 2 cents.
Exactly !

Lunchbox88

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCrew FX4
Had Xpel Ultimate PPF put on the front of my Ranger. My last Ranger has a ton of rock chips in the front and on the hood so I got the PPF to help protect against that.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Have you ever tried to remove Pinstripes after a few years.? lol.

Any plastic substance is going to get hard and will be a lot harder to remove. Plus the way they did it they left seams in the open. When you have a white truck those open seams get black real quick so I just pulled it off

I drove new cars for 30 years without clear bra I think I could survive the next 40. If I get a few chips in the front its not going to ruin my day. I'm pretty handy with touch up paint and 3000 grit wet sandpaper

I only put on about 400 miles a month so I'm not going to get the same kind of chips to somebody who puts 1500 miles a month on their truck
Sponsored