Ceramic Coating Opinions?

GearHd6

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
What is everyone's opinions on ceramic coating? I know that they're expensive, I'm not too worried about that though. My truck gets parked outside and I'm thinking that it might be a good investment. I absolutely hate hand waxing vehicles so me doing that every couple months probably isn't going to happen.
What's everyone's experience with ceramic coatings?
Sponsored

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Are you talking professionally done or DIY ?

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Most coatings out there are only good for 2 years and then needs to be redone. If you’re paying someone to do that better gulp first before you hear how much they want to do it.

I’m doing mine myself. Chemical Guys has a coating they say is good for 5 years. Time will tell on that claim. That’s a DYI or have a shop do it for you!

Lots of prep works needs to be done if you’re DYI type. Clay bar, compound polishing, alcohol clean and then comes the coating. Sizeable investment to do it right and you only get one shot at that too!

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Do the math and decide. A professionally done ceramic coating will be 2K to 3K.
A professional detail with buffing and 6-month wax will be about 125 twice a year.
I have no faith in the store bought 'ceramic' coatings that come in a spray bottle.

Sparky2

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired electrician
I have no faith in the store bought 'ceramic' coatings that come in a spray bottle.
I just bout a small bottle of technicians choice tec582 ceramic detail spray that I’m going to try on my 19 Ranger. If it works well and lasts a decent amount of time I’ll consider the larger gallon size. My truck is garaged so my hope is it should last last a while.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
I just bout a small bottle of technicians choice tec582 ceramic detail spray that I’m going to try on my 19 Ranger. If it works well and lasts a decent amount of time I’ll consider the larger gallon size. My truck is garaged so my hope is it should last last a while.
Keep us posted on how easy it is to use and results.
The stuff I avoid is the stuff sold at places like Wal-Mart.

YaBoiNewton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT supercrew Sport FX4, 2008 Bullitt w Saleen Supercharger
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
What's everyone's experience with ceramic coatings?
They're a durable alternative to wax. Very expensive if you hire someone, not so much if you DIY. Ceramic hybrid waxes are not as good as the real deal. Paint prep takes all day if you want to have perfect paint underneath. Coating itself takes like 20-30 minutes and way less buffing than wax.

It's very easy to DIY - just tedious. If you aren't lazy and follow all of the paint prep steps you'll have a durable coating that can last over a year.

OP
OP

GearHd6

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
They're a durable alternative to wax. Very expensive if you hire someone, not so much if you DIY. Ceramic hybrid waxes are not as good as the real deal. Paint prep takes all day if you want to have perfect paint underneath. Coating itself takes like 20-30 minutes and way less buffing than wax.

It's very easy to DIY - just tedious. If you aren't lazy and follow all of the paint prep steps you'll have a durable coating that can last over a year.
So, if the truck is only a month old is the paint prep still that difficult? Or is it something I should done the second I got it home?

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
So, if the truck is only a month old is the paint prep still that difficult? Or is it something I should done the second I got it home?
A day one, a month, or a year later the amount of labor needed for paint correction won't vary much. That is unless you have paint chips and scratches. The paint from the factory isn't show room quality, especially if it's been sitting on a lot waiting for parts.

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Yep, you gotta catch them rolling off the truck, too late now... no matter what coating you choose , damn thing is gonna chip... hell , I'd wrap it before I would spend 3 grand on any coating...

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Yep, you gotta catch them rolling off the truck, too late now... no matter what coating you choose , damn thing is gonna chip... hell , I'd wrap it before I would spend 3 grand on any coating...
That's probably a better idea, although I guess more costly. But at least you can choose unique colors and patterns.

YaBoiNewton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT supercrew Sport FX4, 2008 Bullitt w Saleen Supercharger
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Paint prep: wash -> clay bar -> Compound -> polish -> alcohol wipe -> ceramic coat (or wax, sealant, etc.)

The wash, clay, and IPA wipe are always required, but the compound and polish steps depend on how the paint looks. If it has defects or superficial scratches then you want to compound and polish those out before burying them under a coating that could potentially last for years. Even if there aren't any defects, a single pass with a light polish could make the paint even more glossy.

I didn't compound or polish when my truck was new, but this year I spent almost 5 hours on paint prep. Paint came out great both times.

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
I wonder how many people that spend so much time coating the body, actually touch the frame and chassis.

I lol hard everytime i see mirror like finishes on 5-10 year old vehicles, only to notice the decayed frames and chassis underneath.

Personally, cause my truck gets coated in rock dust at work from the neighboring rock crushing plant, I dont think its worth the risk trying to touch the paint

Johnv1991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
I’d say it’s very doable as a diy. Just read the manufacturers directions and follow to a t. The prep is probably the key part, making sure you remove any surface oils from polish or soap or whatever other products you may have used goes a long way to allowing the coating to adhere to bare paint.

As others mentioned while paint correction isn’t necessary a quick once over with a polish kind of freshens up the paint and will make sure no old wax stuck around for the ride.

Id also recommend following the maintenance recommended by the manufacturer, a lot of people believe a coating to be something it’s not and when they stop beading or are neglected people wonder why the coating isn’t performing the way it was originally.

Can always head over to a detailing forum or Reddit to read more in Depth. Lots of good videos on YouTube as well.
Sponsored