oubbascooba

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
My truck is in the shop for 2nd time regarding this. They have run the TSB which didn't fix it, because it's not transmission related. They also had the transmission guy look things over, no issue there. They checked throttle body. No issues. Replaced EGR, supposedly. No fix. They got a fault code 5L200 42. Replaced DPFE sensor and resolved the issue. Showed them this thread before hand, so thank you to all involved and pinpointed the issue. Was dealing with the same issues for a couple months and 2 service visits for a total 3 weeks in the shop.
Sponsored

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
Other than having to lay across the engine bay to get to it, this wasn't bad. Other than the darn un-service able, non reusable hose clamps.

I had though ignition originally, but it shouldn't be bad across all 4 at the same time. Truck is definitely better after the sensor swap, I've really got to work to get it to hesitate and even then only for a second. Problem is still there though, need to do some more work with Forscan to see what else might be happening at the same time as the miss.

On a related note, does anyone know where I can find a copy of the Power train Control/Emissions diagnosis manual for this truck? The service manual refers to it, but all I can find is copies for old vehicles. (Like 2008) maybe the info isn't model specific?
This isn't a Diagnosis / Service Manual, but it is a System Description, and has a lot of information that could be useful for diagnosis. Not model specific. Covers all models from the entire line, so you kind of have to know what system and parts apply to your vehicle.
Title: 2019 MY OBD System Operation Summary for Gasoline Engines
https://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/motorcraft/OBDSM1900.pdf

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
Quick update, I changed out the spark plugs myself with new Motorcraft ones (Part #: SP-578) and it runs marginally better (I think?), but it definitely didn't solve the issue. Next is definitely the EGR pressure sensor after the holidays. The pic below is of my old spark plugs, they don't look great but they also don't look horrible like the service rep was making it out to be.

I also did some digging to see what is and isn't covered by powertrain warranty as I'm at 46k miles. As it turns out, emissions equipment besides the catalytic converter, electronics emissions control unit, and onboard emissions diagnostic devices are NOT warrantied past bumper-to-bumper warranty. So, the EGR pressure sensor would not be covered by powertrain warranty and if you've exceed 36k miles/3 years, don't take it to the dealer if you have some DIY capabilities. Dealer wanted $400 just for spark plugs, don't want to know what they would charge for the EGR sensor.

Finally, I can personally vouch that Motorcraft spark plugs are going to be your best option. I figured I would try something different, so I got Bosch spark plugs. Wrong decision. Made the engine run like crap, misfired everywhere, so I immediately got some Motorcraft ones at O'Reilly. Autozone was nice enough to let me return the Bosch ones, but just take my word for it and avoid the hassle.

And when changing your spark plugs, it is much easier to unclip the coil from the harness for cylinder #4. The high pressure fuel line (I think) is in a bad spot right above the spark plug hole so it requires some finagling to get the coil and boot out; much easier when it's disconnected from the harness and it took me longer than I care to admit that I realized I had that option, lol.

sparkplugs.jpg
It's been about 4 months since I changed the spark plugs, and I have to admit... I haven't had any bucking issues since. I haven't touched the EGR system. It might have taken a week or so for the new spark plugs to set in, but haven't had any weird symptoms since. Fingers crossed!

Yinzcity

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
This isn't a Diagnosis / Service Manual, but it is a System Description, and has a lot of information that could be useful for diagnosis. Not model specific. Covers all models from the entire line, so you kind of have to know what system and parts apply to your vehicle.
Title: 2019 MY OBD System Operation Summary for Gasoline Engines
https://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/motorcraft/OBDSM1900.pdf
This is very informative, thanks! Should help me get a better understanding of what that system is doing.

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
It's been about 4 months since I changed the spark plugs, and I have to admit... I haven't had any bucking issues since. I haven't touched the EGR system. It might have taken a week or so for the new spark plugs to set in, but haven't had any weird symptoms since. Fingers crossed!
How many miles were on the truck when you changed your plugs?

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
My truck bucks when slowing down and coming to a stop, almost feels like I’m getting rubber banded, rocks back and fourth a bit. Super annoying. Wondering if it’s related to EGR also? Sports mode and tow mode makes it even more noticeable

oubbascooba

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
TSB. Transmission. Go to dealer and explain, they will reprogram pcm. Other than that, May be dual drive shaft slack
My truck bucks when slowing down and coming to a stop, almost feels like I’m getting rubber banded, rocks back and fourth a bit. Super annoying. Wondering if it’s related to EGR also? Sports mode and tow mode makes it even more noticeable

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
TSB. Transmission. Go to dealer and explain, they will reprogram pcm. Other than that, May be dual drive shaft slack
Is that something I can do with Forscan? I’m hesitant to go to dealership because I have a custom one piece drive shaft installed and don’t want them blaming that. I’ve had the issue before the new DS, so I know it’s not that

oubbascooba

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
My f150 did the same thing. My ranger does it now after the reprogram. There is slack in the splines on the drive shaft and too little grease. When it releases the bind, that is probably the bump you are feeling. Sometimes it is when you stop. Sometimes it’s when you press the gas to take off. Depends on how hard you stopped. Does that situation sound familiar? If it does it’s the shaft. If it’s when it’s shifting, it’s the tranny that needs a reprogram
Is that something I can do with Forscan? I’m hesitant to go to dealership because I have a custom one piece drive shaft installed and don’t want them blaming that. I’ve had the issue before the new DS, so I know it’s not that

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
My f150 did the same thing. My ranger does it now after the reprogram. There is slack in the splines on the drive shaft and too little grease. When it releases the bind, that is probably the bump you are feeling. Sometimes it is when you stop. Sometimes it’s when you press the gas to take off. Depends on how hard you stopped. Does that situation sound familiar? If it does it’s the shaft. If it’s when it’s shifting, it’s the tranny that needs a reprogram
Yeah pretty much, but also when slowing down I get a “rocking “ back and fourth feeling ever so slightly. My driveshaft is a one piece and it has a greasing zerk and I grease it religiously every 3K miles

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
Also by reprogram do you mean clearing the transmission tables? Because I did that via forscan. Minimal difference

oubbascooba

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Also by reprogram do you mean clearing the transmission tables? Because I did that via forscan. Minimal difference
They reprogramed my PCM to update shifting timing. Not just a reset for new learned behavior.

WiredWeasel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5G Ranger
Well....I kind of been lurking here for awhile, but this finally happened to me.

Was waiting in traffic for a few minutes, all of sudden the truck lurches forward and continued to do so despite my increased pressure on the brakes. Smacked into the vehicle in front of me. Put it in to park and my truck was still shaking/vibrating. Turned my vehicle off and then upon restart I had an engine light. This should be interesting taking it to the dealer tomorrow when it opens.
Sponsored