First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
retired
I went ahead and ordered the VKB3Z-2C006A along with a 331-TPS1-003 round mounting plate for the knob. I also scheduled time with my local mechanic for the install, in case I don't have time to do it myself. I trust him more than Ford service dept.
Well, the BC arrived today and I read through the installation instructions. What a PITA!
For testing it out, it refers to using a test light but, there is no talk of what the test light is!

Does anyone know the details on that?
Sponsored

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
This is usually what a test light loks like for automotive work - https://www.amazon.com/JASTIND-Backlit-Digital-Extended-Stainless/dp/B07PX16XDX

You can also use a multimeter
Yeah, If it were me (and it's not) I would get a multimeter. You can get basic ones for the same price as the linked test light. Of course, if one doesn't have a meter now then perhaps they will never need one again, but they are handy to have around.

Added: Appears a meter won't put enough load to test, so , yeah.

Last edited:

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
I went ahead and ordered the VKB3Z-2C006A along with a 331-TPS1-003 round mounting plate for the knob. I also scheduled time with my local mechanic for the install, in case I don't have time to do it myself. I trust him more than Ford service dept.
I’ve had the TBC sitting here for a few days. Read through the install guide and watched a few videos. I like the install where they put the knob where the driver’s 12v lighter outlet was. I ordered the round mounting plate. Received shipping confirmation from e-trailer last night.

As for the part regarding the test light, I believe they are referring to a traditional test light - alligator clip and light bulb in a handle. As others have mentioned, I think a multimeter is best.

While a bit of a pain, the install doesn’t look all that bad. I had most of this same stuff apart a week ago when I wired up a dashcam and backup battery.

fergthulhu

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '09 Toyota RAV4
Occupation
Senior Solutions Architect
That's what I ended up doing, the install wasn't really that bad. The hardest part was connecting the wires under the dash (very little room for a human of my size) and installing the connectors around the CHMSL. Then I used that same circular mounting plate; my wife thought it came that way. I like having it visible rather than in the Ford recommended location.

Definitely nice to have a multimeter. I hooked my truck up to someone else's trailer for testing and couldn't get the left brake light working. Found out that it was a fault in the trailer itself; no continuity between plug and light.

IMG_9302.jpeg

Last edited:

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
This was with my Redarc instructions for testing. I am going to go with the 12V outlet install eventually when the weather cools off. I just made a simple bracket for now. No trailer to pull yet

IMG_20210826_104343361_BURST000_COVER.jpg

DSCN8663.JPG

fergthulhu

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '09 Toyota RAV4
Occupation
Senior Solutions Architect
This was with my Redarc instructions for testing. I am going to go with the 12V outlet install eventually when the weather cools off. I just made a simple bracket for now. No trailer to pull yet

IMG_20210826_104343361_BURST000_COVER.jpg

DSCN8663.JPG
Interesting, I didn't receive that sheet with the Ford kit; but I found it in the online Redarc instructions.

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Well, the BC arrived today and I read through the installation instructions. What a PITA!
For testing it out, it refers to using a test light but, there is no talk of what the test light is!

Does anyone know the details on that?
Install is really not that bad. Just undo more tape on the main wiring harnes to get extra wire length.

DSCN7867.JPG

OP
OP

albireo13

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
retired
I think I will try installing the BC myself later today, doing the Ford approved install. I've looked under the dash and found the 4 wires. The under-dash work doesn't look bad. I have had experience dealing with wiring and electrical stuff. The one part I have concerns over is dealing with the internal trim to route the cable back to the CHMSL. I picked up some trim tools to help. Anyway, I worry that I may break some tabs or attachments while popping trim pieces loose or re-attaching them.
Am I overly concerned? Any good advice before I start?
I am searching the forums again for install videos.

Thx

Last edited:

Metalshift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT
The trim is hit and miss whether you break some clips. The warmer it is will reduce the chances.
I broke a few clips and one tab as the holes are sharp and burred. I used silicon grease on all clips for reassembly. I only partially popped the rear cab plastic and didn't touch the headliner, removing the cmhsl to access the connector.

If i were to do it again I would just spice the wire below the drivers sill plate.

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
With all the discussions about brake controller and what not, acc, pre collision, lizard people, and the hallow moon and earth theories, i am going with redarc, or more that likely just the curt echo. There easy, no wiring

Screenshot_20210827-093748_Chrome.jpg

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
With all the discussions about brake controller and what not, acc, pre collision, lizard people, and the hallow moon and earth theories, i am going with redarc, or more that likely just the curt echo. There easy, no wiring

Screenshot_20210827-093748_Chrome.jpg
Don't want anything to do with running my brake controller from my phone. Not what phones are made for.

WhyNot21

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4 Screw 501A ...
Occupation
EE
Don't want anything to do with running my brake controller from my phone. Not what phones are made for.
Yeah, phones were created for just making phone calls. What's happened to the world? :p

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, phones were created for just making phone calls. What's happened to the world? :p
Originally, but this world has sure done gone crazy. Nobody going to hack my Redarc while I'm driving. Your phone maybe.:like: