Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
retired
Eeeeewwww!
I wouldn't rely on a blooming Bluetooth or Wifi connection for my brake control, while rolling down the highway!
What could possibly go wrong!?
o_O
Sponsored

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
The curt doesn't need the phone to control it. You set it up with the phone and CAN use it to control the brakes if you want, but you don't need to.

There appear to have been some issued on first release with the curt Bluetooth unit, but they've been sorted. I don't tow much and if I ever need a controller I will probably get the curt.

It's not for everyone, but seems like a solid unit for those who just want something simple.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Eeeeewwww!
I wouldn't rely on a blooming Bluetooth or Wifi connection for my brake control, while rolling down the highway!
What could possibly go wrong!?
o_O
Could you just imagine.....guy in the car behind you driving while on the phone with a phone sex site, and getting control of your brake control.....
stopstartstopstartstopstart.....

Jamesb

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 501A, Build Date 12/19
Occupation
Engineering
With all the discussions about brake controller and what not, acc, pre collision, lizard people, and the hallow moon and earth theories, i am going with redarc, or more that likely just the curt echo. There easy, no wiring

Screenshot_20210827-093748_Chrome.jpg
Yeah, I bought one of these and its a Hard No from me. Ford wiring ..
1630101233048.png

I could never confidently get it to connect. Thankfully I only used it 2x and was able to sell it for what I paid. Will be installing a Redarc.

OP
OP

albireo13

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
retired
Well, I finished th hookup to the CHMSL and want to test it before closing up all the interior trim. I tried a multimeter but, no go. I think I need a test load (lamp) on the 7-pin trailer connector.
I am confused on which pins to use.
The above posting mentions pin 5 but, the trailer brake output shows up on pin 2 of the truck 7-pin trailer connector!

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
The curt doesn't need the phone to control it. You set it up with the phone and CAN use it to control the brakes if you want, but you don't need to.

There appear to have been some issued on first release with the curt Bluetooth unit, but they've been sorted. I don't tow much and if I ever need a controller I will probably get the curt.

It's not for everyone, but seems like a solid unit for those who just want something simple.
I you ever get in a situation where you need to apply the trailer brakes manually to straighten out a sway condition, it's too late to be fumbling with an app on your phone. Give me a hard wired button!

OP
OP

albireo13

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
retired
Well, I wired a test lamp and all the signals seem to work ... turns, stop, running lights, reverse.
Testing the BC output, the test lamp test looks good in manual mode. In proportional mode I get nothing out on th Brake signal. Of course the BC isn't calibrated yet so, I am guessing that is why.

Another thing ... I get no output on the +12V pin of the trailer connector (pin 4 of the 7pins).
... even with the car turned on and a load on the BC signal.
Is this normal? I thought +12V would always be there.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
I you ever get in a situation where you need to apply the trailer brakes manually to straighten out a sway condition, it's too late to be fumbling with an app on your phone. Give me a hard wired button!
1630194491094.png

I'm kidding, and if you are towing a lot then get a TBC. Don't believe anything I said, I am wrong and the poster above is right. :rolleyes:

And seriously, if you tow a lot, then you do want a hardwired TBC, but you already know that.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Well, I wired a test lamp and all the signals seem to work ... turns, stop, running lights, reverse.
Testing the BC output, the test lamp test looks good in manual mode. In proportional mode I get nothing out on th Brake signal. Of course the BC isn't calibrated yet so, I am guessing that is why.

Another thing ... I get no output on the +12V pin of the trailer connector (pin 4 of the 7pins).
... even with the car turned on and a load on the BC signal.
Is this normal? I thought +12V would always be there.
The +12V pin will only get power IF the truck is running AND the truck detects a trailer is attached AND you depress the brake pedal. Indicated by the dash alerts.

OP
OP

albireo13

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
retired
Well, I tried all that and still see no 12V on the 7-way connector pin. What I do is the following ..

1. put test lamp on brake signal pin of 7-way
2. turn on engine and depress brake pedal for > 3sec
3. in manul mode, I can adjust the BC knob and see the light brightness follow knob setting.
4. Then, I leave engine running and hop out of car and check the 12V pin on th 7-way connector ....
still no voltage!

I see no display message that a trailer is attached.

Any clues?

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Well, I tried all that and still see no 12V on the 7-way connector pin. What I do is the following ..

1. put test lamp on brake signal pin of 7-way
2. turn on engine and depress brake pedal for > 3sec
3. in manul mode, I can adjust the BC knob and see the light brightness follow knob setting.
4. Then, I leave engine running and hop out of car and check the 12V pin on th 7-way connector ....
still no voltage!

I see no display message that a trailer is attached.

Any clues?
You need to have a trailer plugged into the 7 pin outlet and see the indication on the dash that a trailer is connected and rear parking and cross traffic are disabled.

OP
OP

albireo13

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
retired
So, the test light on the Brake signal is not sufficient for the Ranger to think a trailer is attached?
The Redarc BC can detect the test light load.
Hmmm ... seems there is no good way to test this without an actual trailer!
I have a trailer rented for next week and was hoping to test the system out before-hand. I don't want to find out on the road, with a trailer, that there is a problem.

I guess I will just button up all the interior trim, etc. I feel I've done the install correctly. I'll have to hope for the best when I start hauling the trailer.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So, the test light on the Brake signal is not sufficient for the Ranger to think a trailer is attached?
The Redarc BC can detect the test light load.
Hmmm ... seems there is no good way to test this without an actual trailer!
I have a trailer rented for next week and was hoping to test the system out before-hand. I don't want to find out on the road, with a trailer, that there is a problem.

I guess I will just button up all the interior trim, etc. I feel I've done the install correctly. I'll have to hope for the best when I start hauling the trailer.
It requires the truck to see a load on the trailer brake light circuit th recognize the trailer is connected
That's why you need to press the brakes to see all the dash warnings.

OP
OP

albireo13

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
retired
It requires the truck to see a load on the trailer brake light circuit th recognize the trailer is connected
That's why you need to press the brakes to see all the dash warnings.
Got it. Thank you.

All seems ok. Ranger put back together, looks like new.
The BC LED ctrl know seems to be behaving as expected now.

I just need a trailer now. : )

BTW, what is the best method for adjusting the braking strength to the proper level once a trailer is first connected?
Sponsored