Brake controller

Robanno

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger
Have new truck arriving in Feb. Am going to use it as a daily driver but absolutely will use it to tow our 20' travel Trailer (about 4500lb)
Have been reading a lot on the issue of brake controllers
Here's my question,
Want to use the Redarc controller, like the hidden module and I can put the knob in several nice locations, (on the Lightforce panel, or on the flat surface of the shift lever).
Cost about 220$ with the different cable that seems to be needed.
Talked to dealer where I am purchasing truck and after some discussion and yes they do have a Ford approved one was told 340 for just the controller (a repackaged Redarc) and about 2+ hrs to install at 180 per hr shop rate.
600$ plus for something that should be included when they built truck!!
I have put several in other vehicles and see no problem putting the one from Redarc in.
The one Ford approved is alittle different, it looks like and seems to be more involved. Was unable to look at the instructions to see exactly the installation process.
I have a hard time justifying the extra 4-500 bucks.
Would appreciate some other input and points of view.
Thanks Rob
Sponsored

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Did you read the existing brake controller threads?

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Did you read the existing brake controller threads?
Yes and I did read BOTH "what did you do to your Ranger today" threads...:LOL:

OP
OP

Robanno

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger
VAMike
Yes I did. Just wanted to see some more opinions now that Ford has there "approved" controller. And if it is really worth it to people who installed the aftermarket Redarc vs the Ford approved Redarc.
Does the approved controller turn off the Acc and Aeb upon trailer hookup whereas the aftermarket does not and you need to activate the trailer tow button.
I'm just alittle confused and don't want to drop anther 4 or 500$.
Thanks Rob

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
VAMike
Yes I did. Just wanted to see some more opinions now that Ford has there "approved" controller. And if it is really worth it to people who installed the aftermarket Redarc vs the Ford approved Redarc.
Does the approved controller turn off the Acc and Aeb upon trailer hookup whereas the aftermarket does not and you need to activate the trailer tow button.
I'm just alittle confused and don't want to drop anther 4 or 500$.
Thanks Rob
There are at least two active threads with people discussing this exact sort of thing!

Montana Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Official Ford electronic brake controller recalled?

Yesterday I had a visit with the service department of my local Ford dealer regarding the installation of my “official” Ford brake controller that was supposed to be available Q4 of 2019 after the infamous “Do not install an aftermarket controller” service bulletin. They’ve had it on order since last fall, but have not yet received any.

According to the parts manager, they found some uninstalled units at another dealer in the region but they could not get them to send one out because according to them, Ford has just recalled all uninstalled units, and there is no date for when they will be available again. There was no explanation for the reason for the recall.

I found this strange, since the kit is now actually showing up in detail on the Ford parts accessory website: https://accessories.ford.com/exterior/trailer-towing/module-trailer-brake-12688.html

Instead, they offered to install the generic Redarc controller that the Ford part is based upon, minus the various adaptations to accommodate the AEB system and adaptive cruise control and integration with the in-dash system.

I know that there’s nothing wrong with the Redarc controller, others on this site are quite pleased with it, and I can live with the fact that it won’t be responsive to the AEB system. I’d like the integration with the in-dash system, but can also live without that as well. My primary concern has been about warranty issues; where years down the road when one of the dozen or so computers that run the truck takes a fatal dive that Ford doesn’t come back and say “warranty void” because I modified the electrical system. And since this isn’t a “plug and play” solution as it should have been, technically it is an electrical system modification.

Of course, the dealer denies this will be an issue. But personally knowing people who have had warranties voided over this sort of thing, there’s no way they’re going to convince me otherwise. And considering that they’ve already refused to sign a paper regarding another issue I wanted covered under warranty when I took delivery, their verbal assurances aren’t worth the breath they are uttered with.

This dealer has yet to actually install one of these, but are about to for another customer in a few weeks. They are aware of the various wiring inconsistencies in the Ranger that have been discussed in these forums. I am going to wait and let this other customer be the guinea pig and then they’re going to report back to me how that all went. I won’t be needing my truck for towing until April, so I have another month and change to wait this out. And perhaps in the meantime, the official Ford controller will become available again.

And as for the Ford controller, does anyone else here have any insight to what is going on? This whole fiasco has been very hush-hush from Ford’s side. After finally getting this long overdue component on the street, did they discover that it didn’t work right after all?

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
I installed the redarc in mine. I have a 30ft travel trailer and I wasn't waiting on Ford to finish contemplating their own version. I am not concerned about my AEB with my TT in tow as it would likely be too late anyhow. I mounted mine right by the 4x4 knob for a clean factory look. It works great, completely happy with my purchase. NO WAY would I pay an extra $400-$500. Maybe if I towed for a living, but I tow about 6-8 times a year.

DMWilliams

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
I installed the redarc in mine. I have a 30ft travel trailer and I wasn't waiting on Ford to finish contemplating their own version. I am not concerned about my AEB with my TT in tow as it would likely be too late anyhow. I mounted mine right by the 4x4 knob for a clean factory look. It works great, completely happy with my purchase. NO WAY would I pay an extra $400-$500. Maybe if I towed for a living, but I tow about 6-8 times a year.
Do you have a picture of the stall in your truck, would like to see how it looks. Thanks.

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
Do you have a picture of the stall in your truck, would like to see how it looks. Thanks.
Here is a thread, not my pic, but exactly the same and a good write up and info. Trying a direct link, but it's post #113 if this doesn't take you directly there. RedArc thread with pics
Sponsored