Biggest Travel Trailer?

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
No shit! I've been pulling trailers almost everyday, for almost 30 years, electric and air brakes.

Most of the braking I'm talking about is from the towing vehicle, as electric trailer brakes are finicky, in my opinion.

Air brakes are better, but have their issues too..., but we're not talking about air brakes in this situation.

That's why I hate commenting on posts, because of certain types of comments!
I interpreted your comment as more despite those the laws of physics are still a thing so you still gotta be careful
Sponsored

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
I didn’t start this thread to have people arguing about weight. Let’s face it Ford has been around for years built everything from planes to army equipment heavy trucks to compact vehicles I’m pretty sure that they’ve tested there ranger and 7500 pounds is likely under rating it like they all do. I only care to hear about what they are towing out there with their rangers and so far I don’t see anybody posting towing a trailer that is more than the capabilities of the vehicle so please everyone just post what you’re towing and how much it weighs and keep your comments about weight to yourself no one cares about one person’s opinion the truck is rated for 7500 so let it go
Yeah in all reality they leave a pretty good margin for error with the capacities phil will definitely have some good insight and probably a cool story as well but yeah the comments about tongue weight and axle placement are also very important to consider as well there are a lot of factors beyond just the tow capacity

OP
OP
John Earley

John Earley

Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Occupation
Courier
I interpreted your comment as more despite those the laws of physics are still a thing so you still gotta be careful
I’m pretty sure the laws of physics was used while certifying the vehicle for 7500 pounds now you seem really upset by people towing stop that is heavier than your liking who cares what you’re liking is we’re not here for a lecture on your idea of physics

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
I’m pretty sure the laws of physics was used while certifying the vehicle for 7500 pounds now you seem really upset by people towing stop that is heavier than your liking who cares what you’re liking is we’re not here for a lecture on your idea of physics
If you read what I said you will see I was responding to that guy and am not that guy, and I don't think a sentence constitutes a lecture despite what some of my college professors seemed to think lol
Also as I said
Yeah in all reality they leave a pretty good margin for error with the capacities phil will definitely have some good insight and probably a cool story as well but yeah the comments about tongue weight and axle placement are also very important to consider as well there are a lot of factors beyond just the tow capacity

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
No shit! I've been pulling trailers almost everyday, for almost 30 years, electric and air brakes.

Most of the braking I'm talking about is from the towing vehicle, as electric trailer brakes are finicky, in my opinion.

Air brakes are better, but have their issues too..., but we're not talking about air brakes in this situation.

That's why I hate commenting on posts, because of certain types of comments!
I always think of trailer brakes as backup. You're right in that the vehicle does most of the slowing of the trailer and that we don't typically lock up the brakes in normal driving.

Although, the tandem axle trailer I welded up for my John Deere had surge brakes and one morning, way too early and a little foggy in North Dallas, I ran a 4-way stop before I noticed it and slammed on the brakes. That trailer pushed me, sliding, right through the intersection. The Land Cruiser wheels (all drum) were locked up and the trailer was locked up, and I might as well have been ice skating.

Luckily no one was out and I didn't need any coffee that morning!

Rock76

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Shasta 26DB

Length
31 ft.
Width
8 ft.
Height
11 ft.
Dry Weight
5,280 lbs.
Payload Capacity
1,632 lbs.
GVWR
6,950 lbs.
Hitch Weight
580 lbs.

Right now, it's loaded and ready to go at 6,500 lbs. No issues.

20220530_114514.jpg

Screenshot_20220530-110320_BetterWeigh.jpg

ArizonaRangers

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x4 4D and 2023 Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Engineer
Took this camping in Flagstaff (AZ) this weekend. Torrential monsoon rains hit us while driving, but no problem. 29.5' total length. 5200lb dry. Probably another 1000+ of stuff and water etc. I've towed 1000's of trailers and didn't feel the Ranger was over-matched in the slightest. No special tune for the drive train, but Eibach Pro Truck lift 3.5" front, 1" rear with P285/75/17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers aired to 42 psi front and rear.

Just for fun I looked up the towing capacity of a couple of full size half tons I've owned in the past. '03 F150 had a rated capacity of 8300 and 2017 Ram 1500 had 8000. Just like the Ranger's towing capacity isn't far behind the full sizers', I don't feel like the Ranger's capability is too far behind either.

All that rain made a little mud too.
IMG_7232[1].JPG

IMG_2308[1].JPG

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Well it depends at what altitude also.

Somewhere in the manual it said for every 1000 ft or 2000 i dont remember, that 10 percent of max tow was reduced. So i can tow more in texas than i can in Colorado at 8000 ft.

So you have to plan your trips accordingly.

No crossing the continental divide for me with a trailer.

I did drive up to pikes peak in my ranger. No trailer of course

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Took this camping in Flagstaff (AZ) this weekend. Torrential monsoon rains hit us while driving, but no problem. 29.5' total length. 5200lb dry. Probably another 1000+ of stuff and water etc. I've towed 1000's of trailers and didn't feel the Ranger was over-matched in the slightest. No special tune for the drive train, but Eibach Pro Truck lift 3.5" front, 1" rear with P285/75/17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers aired to 42 psi front and rear.

Just for fun I looked up the towing capacity of a couple of full size half tons I've owned in the past. '03 F150 had a rated capacity of 8300 and 2017 Ram 1500 had 8000. Just like the Ranger's towing capacity isn't far behind the full sizers', I don't feel like the Ranger's capability is too far behind either.

IMG_7232[1].JPG

IMG_2308[1].JPG
Impressive! Those are big tires to be pulling a load like that. I have a smaller travel trailer that is @ 1000 lbs lighter and I have been thinking of putting the Tremor wheels and tires on mine. I have been hesitant since I don't want to reduce my pulling power.

Last edited:

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
FWIW, my hand-calculated mileage for the 140 miles round trip to the site and back this past weekend was 11.17 mpg. This was from Athens, GA (roughly) to Bobby Brown State Park outside of Elberton. Mostly flat with some elevation changes, and the cruise set at 65 for most of the highway distance.

End of August we're heading up to the north part of the state, which will be a little harder on the truck as there's some fairly decent hills to climb and some slow switchback's that have to be driven through. So a lot less highway, and more 2 lane mountain roads.

Last edited:
OP
OP
John Earley

John Earley

Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Occupation
Courier
Wow. These are some pretty impressive numbers out there being pulled around. This is great to know I plan on buying a travel trailer this fall. Thanks a lot to everyone posting what they are pulling. It really helps us looking to buy a TT out. Keep your comments coming. On how it pulls fuel mileage etc. the mountain guys out west is impressive. But I’m at sea level. And the mountains around here are small in comparison. But I do like going to West Virginia and Tennessee So any Ranger guys pulling in the Appalachian mountains would be great to hear from you guys.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
I agree some pretty impressive rigs being pulled. But, and I will probably get slammed for this, the one number nobody talks about is GCVWR (Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating). This is a number the towing guides specifically tell you NOT to exceed. For our trucks this number varies depending on cab style a if it is 2 or 4 wheel drive. It goes from 12150# to 12500#, with SuperCab 4x2 the lowest and SuperCrew 4x4 the highest. The 7500# max tow rating also has a footnote to it stating that it is for an empty truck with a single 150# driver.

I would love to see CAT scale slips for some of these huge rigs loaded for travel with all passengers showing you are under the GCVWR for your truck.

This 7500# max rating is not a hard number no matter what you have done to you truck or how much stuff you have in it. It is a sliding number based on a lot of factors.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
I agree some pretty impressive rigs being pulled. But, and I will probably get slammed for this, the one number nobody talks about is GCVWR (Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating). This is a number the towing guides specifically tell you NOT to exceed. For our trucks this number varies depending on cab style a if it is 2 or 4 wheel drive. It goes from 12150# to 12500#, with SuperCab 4x2 the lowest and SuperCrew 4x4 the highest. The 7500# max tow rating also has a footnote to it stating that it is for an empty truck with a single 150# driver.

I would love to see CAT scale slips for some of these huge rigs loaded for travel with all passengers showing you are under the GCVWR for your truck.

This 7500# max rating is not a hard number no matter what you have done to you truck or how much stuff you have in it. It is a sliding number based on a lot of factors.
No one is gonna slam you cause those ### are standard for the Ranger, and should always be considered.
We have a scale at our local county landfill that you have to run over prior to going in. Took my wife, full tank of gas over it and it came up 4660 lbs. That includes a chest in the bed with jacks, some tools, tie downs, "stuff", a swing away box also with some equipment in it. When we hook up added would be the hitch and some lawn chairs folding table, ect, so around 4800 lbs. My trailer loaded is about 6500 lbs, with a tongue weight around 700 lbs, so yes, I'm just at the max.
And if I have to add some items, and go over the limit by 100-200 lbs, no lightning bolt from above is gonna strike me, my Ranger will not refuse to move.
Honestly, the Ranger preforms and handles better than an F-350 hauling a 32 foot trailer we had in the past.
This topic has gone back and forth now, in several threads and bottom line is that to many towing anything near the Rangers rating is bad or unsafe, and there are those of us who feel comfortable towing what we have. Neither group is going to change the others point of view.
I quit arguing about it, and am perfectly content with my set-up.
We've racked up around 1700 miles thru WV, Va, Pa, thru mountains, grades, flat interstates, and have had no problems at all.

Last edited:

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager

Hitting the Cat scale is one of my favorite tasks when towing or hauling heavy. Just get some personal satisfaction out of it. Plus it lets you know if you are legal and if the trailer is loaded right, highly recommended to do for a first trip with a trailer.

Like a lot have stated its all about experience and comfort level. I have towed or hauled at max capacity or beyond for every vehicle I have ever owned. The beyond was always done on job sites pr private property never on a public road. Well once I had 3300lbs in my f150 and drove 6 miles. I though cinder blocks weighed 20lbs each. Dont ask.

ArizonaRangers

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x4 4D and 2023 Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Engineer

IMG_7232[1].JPG

IMG_2308[1].JPG
I dug back a little further to a 1987 F250 that I owned. That year Ford made a heavy duty F250 and a "base" F250. Mine was the base F250, but an F250 never the less. It's rated tow capacity was 7100 lbs, with a max trailer frontal area of 60sq ft. The GCWR was only 7800 lbs. I'm no math wizard but I'm not sure how Ford figured you could tow 7100 and have a COMBINED weight of 7800 lbs. They had already given up on the genius idea they had in 1980 of drilling holes in the frame for weight reduction, so I'm not sure how they made a 700lb F250. I promise you that the GCWR was exceeded regularly and substantially on that truck, as I had a Cab over camper in the bed and a 22' cuddy cabin boat in tow behind.
Sponsored