Towing a travel trailer

RangerTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Well, if you have not bought either the truck or trailer, you are smart to be asking around about this combo now. I have towed a few different trailer/truck combos through the years. In my humble opinion you should either go bigger on the truck or smaller on the trailer. The length and weight of the TT will make it a real challenge for the Ranger.
Agreed on all points. (speaking from experience)
Sponsored

OP
OP

CAG

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F-350
Thanks everyone your input.

I have one other question and that is the brake controller. How do you seat it up for 2 very different trailers?

Thanks, Chris

Last edited:
OP
OP

CAG

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F-350
I get your excitement about getting a Ranger to tow that Grand Design 23 LDE. It's a crucial decision, and it's awesome that you're doing your research. Considering a 2.7L Ranger for the job is a good move, but if you're open to alternatives, you might want to explore travel trailers under 2500 lbs. They can make towing a bit easier and potentially give you more options in terms of towing vehicles. Ultimately, it comes down to your specific needs and preferences. Take your time to weigh your options, maybe even test drive a few setups, and you'll find the perfect fit for your towing adventures.
Thanks, for the advice.

I have quite a bit of towing experience and am comfortable with the weight and size. We are really looking for a couples trailer and not a minimal trailer.

Northwet Neil

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired, Home chores when not goofing off
Just catching up here and looks like lots of good experienced views shared. Can't really argue with any of them, here is my experience after 2 years of occasionally using my little toy hauler. It's a little heavier than some have recommended for our 2.3 but I have had no issues except on bad roads/expansion cracks. Ride can be a bit rougher in the truck. This was on our trip to Boise. Plenty of answers to that, the aftermarket bumpers mentioned or my plan to add Airlift or Firestone air suspension addons. I have had great success with the Airlifts in the past with 2 different trucks. We are looking seriously at finding a way to mount a Demco Auto slider 5th wheel hitch and find one of the many light and roomier rigs out there. We are just a retired couple so don't need much but like our comfort and I want the security plus more stable trailing of the 5th wheel for road trips. The ability to maneuver a 24-27 ft 5th wheel with the Ranger will allow some great boondocking and small campsite accessibility. Happy trails.

OP
OP

CAG

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F-350
Just catching up here and looks like lots of good experienced views shared. Can't really argue with any of them, here is my experience after 2 years of occasionally using my little toy hauler. It's a little heavier than some have recommended for our 2.3 but I have had no issues except on bad roads/expansion cracks. Ride can be a bit rougher in the truck. This was on our trip to Boise. Plenty of answers to that, the aftermarket bumpers mentioned or my plan to add Airlift or Firestone air suspension addons. I have had great success with the Airlifts in the past with 2 different trucks. We are looking seriously at finding a way to mount a Demco Auto slider 5th wheel hitch and find one of the many light and roomier rigs out there. We are just a retired couple so don't need much but like our comfort and I want the security plus more stable trailing of the 5th wheel for road trips. The ability to maneuver a 24-27 ft 5th wheel with the Ranger will allow some great boondocking and small campsite accessibility. Happy trails.
Good luck on the 5th wheel. I looked and couldn't anything in the US.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
the 2.3 is pretty scrappy when it comes to power. it does not shy away from truck work like towing. the things that would worry me towing with a mid size or smaller truck would be things like brakes, load capacity, being stable enough to buck the wind and gusts off of passing traffic without getting pushed around to much. the set up being right will be important.

OP
OP

CAG

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F-350
There are a few people towing the Escape 5.0TA with Rangers.

https://escapetrailer.com/the-5-0-escape/
Interesting 5th wheel. While I agree towing a 5th wheel is nicer than a trailer and this one is shorter than most trailers. Having no shower is a deal killer, along with it looks like no external storage and since it is using the bed you have lost most of that.

Chris

brroberts

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD SuperCab
Occupation
audio / semi retired
It does have a shower, but it is a wet bath. There is some outside storage, and some https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/
members have opened up additional storage. I have an Escape 19. Built better than Scamp or Casita, but not to Bigfoot or Oliver standards. It’s certainly better built than the stuff from the two giants.

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger FX4 Lariat, Avalanche (Splash SE)
Occupation
Engineer
I have a 29' TT dry weight usually weighs around 6000 lbs. You should have: WDH and a Brake Controller at a bare minimum. I like to lock out gears 8-10 and stay in 7th at highway speeds. I keep it at 65 mph on the highways (even though the owners manual says stay below 62 mph). Runs right at 2750 rpm and gets around 10 mpg. Engine and brakes seem to be up to the task. The biggest issue IMO is the width/length/weight of the truck. Wider, longer, and heavier will all lead to a better ride. Just be careful and don't be in a hurry. (FYI.... I am pretty bone stock, hankook tires, bad FX4 shocks). I'm sure it will improve when I get my Eibach stage 3 shocks and Load Range E Wildpeaks.... looking forward to those purchases. Good Luck!

Northwet Neil

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX
Occupation
the 2.3 is pretty scrappy when it comes to power. it does not shy away from truck work like towing. the things that would worry me towing with a mid size or smaller truck would be things like brakes, load capacity, being stable enough to buck the wind and gusts off of passing traffic without getting pushed around to much. the set up being right will be important.
With my towing the Toy Hauler I can say wind and some truck passes were interesting but not a full seat pucker factor! It is heavy on the factory hitch but I suspect the helper bumper stops or air bags will significantly improve that. It did on my Dakota with the same trailer.

Northwet Neil

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX
Occupation
There are a few people towing the Escape 5.0TA with Rangers.

https://escapetrailer.com/the-5-0-escape/
That is a cool looking rig. I'm hoping to figure a way to tow a little larger used one I can find for less money. My Toy hauler doesn't have outside storage but I have the factory hard lockable cover, so that works fairly well. Do you know what hitch folks are using?

brroberts

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
audio / semi retired
That is a cool looking rig. I'm hoping to figure a way to tow a little larger used one I can find for less money. My Toy hauler doesn't have outside storage but I have the factory hard lockable cover, so that works fairly well. Do you know what hitch folks are using?
I have an Escape 19 bumper pull, so I do not know the hitches used.

Northwet Neil

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX
Occupation
I don't want to hijack the F150 frame/ranger thread more than I have, already. Interested in feedback here, especially from the Aussies. I've crawled under my truck with the install directions for a couple F150 5th wheel hitches bracket kits. No direct cross over, of course and no easy answer, either. I'm loath to try and make a universal kit fit due to time and potentially not as solid using 2 brackets per side on similar number of bolts as 2 one piece brackets. Definitely not drilling my frame as I'm already drifting into warranty voided territory! I'm looking at the F150 brackets again and considering swapping sides on the inside of the frame and drilling the bracket to land where I want.
Yes it would be easier to get a 150 and be done with it but I'll rarely tow it that often. The Ranger is totally capable for the rigs I am looking at and would add maneuverability with the Demco Auto Slide or the Other brand Super Glide, but reviews have me picking the Demco 13K. I see a long frustrating weekend in my future. I'd love to work with Demco to use my SCAB as a test fit but since the Ranger design is changing and the market is limited, that is unlikely. Anyone want to slap some sense into me? I don't want to give up my truck but prefer a 5th wheel over travel trailer, when towing.

brroberts

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
audio / semi retired
I don’t have a 5th wheel, so am not much help other than to say there are a few trailer forum folks towing smaller 5th wheels with the Ranger.
Sponsored