Are there any hitch receiver lochs that don't seize / fail?

houseOfDogs

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Cab
Occupation
Retired Techie
Looking to buy a hitch receiver lock for my Ranger I take delivery next week. When I read the reviews, almost every product has 5 to 10 percent reviews where the lock seized or fell off or key broke or something.

Any recommendations for products you've used with no issues?
Sponsored

DonB

Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 HPR Ranger Super Cab FX4
Occupation
Retired
Looking to buy a hitch receiver lock for my Ranger I take delivery next week. When I read the reviews, almost every product has 5 to 10 percent reviews where the lock seized or fell off or key broke or something.

Any recommendations for products you've used with no issues?
All of mine, but I do maintenance.

raytwntrvlr

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL
Occupation
retired
Not to not answer your question. BUT... I bought a lock for my hitch a few years ago. After leaving my hitch (weight distributing, btw) on the truck, I got tired of smashing my shins against it and getting grease on my pants. So mine after years is still in very good condition. Not sure if I could lay my hands on it right now, or the key for that matter.

Good luck with your search.

Muddy Fenders

Banned
Banned
First Name
Judd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired

Old NaCl

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Ranger 2X4
Occupation
Mechanical Designer
Been using the same Fulton lock since 98. Only have it out when needed. Grease the pin and oil the tumbles usually something like rem oil never wd40.

Azhang253

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
Occupation
Network Engineer
I have a harbor freight lock that's worked for two winters of salt. I just sprayed some fluid film into it and have no problems.

Canadian Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amsoil.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Amsoil Dealer
I have a harbor freight lock that's worked for two winters of salt. I just sprayed some fluid film into it and have no problems.
As I was reading all of the above comments, I was thinking the exact same thing......Fluid Film. The whole hitch assembly takes a lot of abuse back there regardless of the environment you live in. They're constantly sandblasted. Fluid Film, PB Blaster Surface Shield, or Amsoil MPHD will all solve the problem.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I have owned the same receiver lock for over 20 years without issue. But, I take the receiver off the vehicle when I am not towing. I also give it a blast of WD-40 from time to time if it starts to feel sticky.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
As I was reading all of the above comments, I was thinking the exact same thing......Fluid Film. The whole hitch assembly takes a lot of abuse back there regardless of the environment you live in. They're constantly sandblasted. Fluid Film, PB Blaster Surface Shield, or Amsoil MPHD will all solve the problem.
Either keep it lubed or don't leave it on all the time. In my state it's a $350 fine for driving around with your hitch ball on and no trailer, although it's rarely enforced.

fob63

First Name
bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Occupation
retired
Either keep it lubed or don't leave it on all the time. In my state it's a $350 fine for driving around with your hitch ball on and no trailer, although it's rarely enforced.
I was wondering why the state has a fine for this?
Never heard of this?

OP
OP
houseOfDogs

houseOfDogs

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Techie
I get that,
Wow, never heard of that.

OP
OP
houseOfDogs

houseOfDogs

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Techie
To close the loop on this, I went ahead and bought this for now:

1664480199320.png

I'm bringing an empty horse trailer home on the final part of my drive back to CA from Granger, and this looked like the least likely to have the lock fall off or the cotter pin come out. Almost every other hitch pin had several reviews where the hitch pin came out or broke.

After we pick up the trailer, we are driving straight home (other than required gas stops), so I'm not worried about theft.

Muddy Fenders

Banned
Banned
First Name
Judd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
In my state it's a $350 fine for driving around with your hitch ball on and no trailer, although it's rarely enforced.
In my locale, the fine is tied to obstruction of your licence plate.
the rumor mill was always about causing more damage to a vehicle that rear-ends you, but really, the way cars are built this day that's a moot point.
Sponsored