Are engine enhancing oil additives a gimmick?

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Hello,

Can someone with some experience or science knowledge tell me about this product and the claims they make?
https://www.shinearmor.com/collecti...booster-oil-additive-1?variant=29406697685078
block_White_v04-odixu0tfr1wlpvjvw4u21e0pkut0df59k9783lyjp6.png

Our Performance Booster Oil additive is a cutting-edge, nanoparticle-based solution that works great for gas and diesel engines alike. It boosts the performance and lifetime of any oil-lubricated system under the hood, aside from the air conditioning unit.

Our clients have been stoked about this product because you really can tell the difference in your engine after using it. Our booster oil pumps up your horsepower and extends the durability of your entire engine.

Did we mention it’s eco-friendly? We made sure not to use any harmful chemicals that would damage your vehicle or the environment, so you can rest easy knowing your car is about to get a jump start to its energy.

Use Performance Booster Oil Additive after getting a fresh oil change, or use it on the oil that you have now. Doesn’t matter if you use conventional or synthetic oil blends either; we got you covered.

Our advanced formula works its way through your engine system’s microscopic crevices to reduce the wear and tear the years have put on it. It can even reverse existing engine wear.

We’re so proud of this product and know it’s going to change the way you drive that we offer a 100% money-back guarantee. If you aren’t satisfied with the boost in performance, just send it back and get a full refund.

• Safe & easy to use
  • Increase Horsepower and Torque
  • Works in almost every type of vehicle
  • Quieter Engine, Reducing Noise and Vibration
  • Stops Cold Start Problems (Tested to -40 Deg.)*
    Increase Fuel Economy up to 4.2%*
It all sounds oddly too good to be true but I really don't know much about cars and the science behind things nor how far technology has come along. Also would it be safe in our engines you think?

Warm regards,
Brandon
Sponsored

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Ever heard the saying a sucker is born everyday? Well this is a times 10 one.

Most of the additives they speak of don’t do anything but gum up engines and build up where you don’t want it to. Things like “Teflon or PTFE” once on metal will repel oil or melt from heat. So it’s slippery but not lubricated.

Many articles on the Internet exposing many of these snake oil additives for what they really are. A waste of money and detrimental to your machinery

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Hello,

Can someone with some experience or science knowledge tell me about this product and the claims they make?
https://www.shinearmor.com/collecti...booster-oil-additive-1?variant=29406697685078
block_White_v04-odixu0tfr1wlpvjvw4u21e0pkut0df59k9783lyjp6.png

Our Performance Booster Oil additive is a cutting-edge, nanoparticle-based solution that works great for gas and diesel engines alike. It boosts the performance and lifetime of any oil-lubricated system under the hood, aside from the air conditioning unit.

Our clients have been stoked about this product because you really can tell the difference in your engine after using it. Our booster oil pumps up your horsepower and extends the durability of your entire engine.

Did we mention it’s eco-friendly? We made sure not to use any harmful chemicals that would damage your vehicle or the environment, so you can rest easy knowing your car is about to get a jump start to its energy.

Use Performance Booster Oil Additive after getting a fresh oil change, or use it on the oil that you have now. Doesn’t matter if you use conventional or synthetic oil blends either; we got you covered.

Our advanced formula works its way through your engine system’s microscopic crevices to reduce the wear and tear the years have put on it. It can even reverse existing engine wear.

We’re so proud of this product and know it’s going to change the way you drive that we offer a 100% money-back guarantee. If you aren’t satisfied with the boost in performance, just send it back and get a full refund.

• Safe & easy to use
  • Increase Horsepower and Torque
  • Works in almost every type of vehicle
  • Quieter Engine, Reducing Noise and Vibration
  • Stops Cold Start Problems (Tested to -40 Deg.)*
    Increase Fuel Economy up to 4.2%*
It all sounds oddly too good to be true but I really don't know much about cars and the science behind things nor how far technology has come along. Also would it be safe in our engines you think?

Warm regards,
Brandon
Not a chemical guy but it sounds to good to be true becaise it is. I got an good laugh out of the reverses existing engine wear. Remember STP it made a lot of the same claims in its day. Nothing more than a viscosity increaser.

Just use a good full synthetic oil of the recommended grade and change it regularly. Forget about the additives with their wild claims and keep your warranty intact.

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Thank you for the replies guys. Clears that up real quick. I also believed it was really odd claims and figured it's not worth the risk. Funny stuff. :crackup:

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.

Most of the additives they speak of don’t do anything but gum up engines and build up where you don’t want it to. Things like “Teflon or PTFE” once on metal will repel oil or melt from heat. So it’s slippery but not lubricated.

Many articles on the Internet exposing many of these snake oil additives for what they really are. A waste of money and detrimental to your machinery
X2 !!!
If any of that stuff worked, and really did increase the performance and longevity of an engine, don't you think Ford and the other manufacturers would have something similar as an additive to their engines ? Manufacturers, with few exceptions like the real exotic stuff, design their components to use readily available fluids, and design their engines to run and perform just fine on dino and synthetic oils...no teflon or secret snakey super duper slippery stuff cause it don't work....if it did, the companies would have added it years ago.

Oh, I like the last sentence...
If your not happy with it, just send it back "
Duh...what are you supposed to do, drain a pint off your engine oil, put it in a sealed "pee" cup and ship it back to them ? :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Last edited:

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
X2 !!!
If any of that stuff worked, and really did increase the performance and longevity of an engine, don't you think Ford and the other manufacturers would have something similar as an additive to their engines ? Manufacturers, with few exceptions like the real exotic stuff, design their components to use readily available fluids, and design their engines to run and perform just fine on dino and synthetic oils...no teflon or secret snakey super duper slippery stuff cause it don't work....if it did, the companies would have added it years ago.

Oh, I like the last sentence...
If your not happy with it, just send it back "
Duh...what are you supposed to do, drain a pint off your engine oil, put it in a sealed "pee" cup and ship it back to them ? :LOL::LOL::LOL:
I like your thought on if it worked companies would of done it years ago. Thank you for the insight. :beer::bow:

HDA

First Name
Hector
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT Shadow Black
Occupation
Travel X-ray Tech

HDA

First Name
Hector
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT Shadow Black
Occupation
Travel X-ray Tech

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
Guys on BITOG like MoS2 and Ceratec but I'd want to know what I was doing before I used any of those. I personally don't use them and don't plan to.

This is a good article that kind of explains the friction surfaces of spinning metal parts and why those additives probably don't do shit if you just buy the right oil.

Attachments

KNI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 2021
People say that ferrosilicon FeSi2 absorbs N when heated and forms FeSi3N4 coating which is stable up to 1700'C. Idea in engine is that the generation happens where there is enough friction and forms the stuff. So instead of normal wear to level it uses build-up to level method for generating smooth surface.

Theoretically possible, but you have to remember that you are actually adding sand to the engine. Usually this sand is contained in some poor quality mineral oil which makes the engine run worse that normal engine oil.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
People really believe this crap?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Hi Rick,

Time for me to open up my Slick 50 store again after so many years.... :)

Best,
Phil

SilverSlugger

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Baking
I agree with all the replies on it being snake oil.

That being said years back my Mazda 626(220,000 miles) was sputtering/acting up, I sprayed seafoam in the air intake and it did a noticeable job with smoothing out the engine. I would say on a car that's new and doesn't have a lot of miles these additives are bad, for an old beater though they might offer some help...
Sponsored