Fuel additives?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport Supercrew and a 2019 Yamaha MT09
Vehicle Showcase
I know these engines are direct injected and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for fuel additives to keep the valves clean?
Sponsored

Tangent

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford XL Ranger 4x4 Supercrew
Vehicle Showcase
I've been told by trusted mechanics in the past that you shouldn't worry about injector cleaner until like 25,000 miles+

Traditionally I've used Lucas, haven't dove that far into it as I'm only up to 4500.

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
I know these engines are direct injected and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for fuel additives to keep the valves clean?
I put in a bottle of Techron once every 300 miles. Has always been good to me!

quirkybar8

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 2WD XLT
I don't think these have port injection to help with valve washing, so additives likely don't do anything for crust on the back side. Ford also has, in the past anyway, provided no solution to the problem other than replacing the head(s). IIRC they recommended against walnut blasting or other intake cleaning solutions.

That said, my former Toyota tech brother was among those who recommended Techron Fuel System Cleaner to customers with driveability concerns. He did suggest only using it prior to an oil change just to keep dilution problems at bay. But you probably don't even need to do that if you stick with Top Tier fuel. And then there are services like BG's https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/gaso...-air-intake-valve-combustion-chamber-cleaner/, which is shop-only and pretty pricey.

caprtaineddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Corvette, 2020 Ranger Lariat
I have owned several Ecoboost engines and have been told by the service manager at the dealership that these engines run very rich until they've had a chance to warm up. Unfortunately, most of my driving is limited to short trips at low speeds. He suggested that I run a can of BG 44K cleaner every so often. You might want to look into trying this one.

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
Not trying to start another fuel discussion topic, but nothing in a bottle will prevent carbon buildup. I would just use a top tier gas and carbon cleaning at some established interval somewhere around 30,000 miles or whatever starts to be recommended on this message board or by the dealers.
Sponsored