engine oil drain plug threads?

wdeydwondrer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SCrew FX4
Bought the fumoto valve and extension to put on today during my oil change, first one I've done since buying. Have had the ford place do it before. Seen the torque spec was 20 lbs or so yet the bolt was practically impacted in there. After the oil was out I couldn't even get the fumoto to start into the drain and had to put the original plug back in. Is this a sign that the threads were stretched from a previous oil change and I'm just stuck now? Both fumoto pieces are labeled correct for m12-1.75

No clue on the history since I bought it used a year ago.
Sponsored

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
When you say "both pieces" are you referring to the valve and an adapter ? Because the drain plug is recessed you need both as the valve by itself won't thread because the drain lever won't let the valve properly thread...adapter has to go in first then the valve.
Way to eliminate this is to use their F107SX valve which installs in the recess with no problem...it's the one I have.
If your using the adapter and it won't thread, but the OE drain plug will make sure you have the right adapter, an ADP-137...if you do, you may have one with a bunged up thread.

OP
OP

wdeydwondrer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SCrew FX4
When you say "both pieces" are you referring to the valve and an adapter ? Because the drain plug is recessed you need both as the valve by itself won't thread because the drain lever won't let the valve properly thread...adapter has to go in first then the valve.
Way to eliminate this is to use their F107SX valve which installs in the recess with no problem...it's the one I have.
If your using the adapter and it won't thread, but the OE drain plug will make sure you have the right adapter, an ADP-137...if you do, you may have one with a bunged up thread.
Yes, the valve and the extension piece. Verified the packaging is labeled as the correct part. Threads on both the pieces look fine which leaves me concerned that the pan threads are trashed.

Wisertyou

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford ranger XLT 4x4
No way I will trust those to hold my oil. I wish you the best. I'll stick to the standard drain bolt.
I bought the valvomax, it has a spring loaded ball and additional cap. Definitely an extra point of failure but it seems solid and well made. My friend has had his fomoto valve for years without issue.

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
I bought the valvomax, it has a spring loaded ball and additional cap. Definitely an extra point of failure but it seems solid and well made. My friend has had his fomoto valve for years without issue.
I'm already rolling the dice with a tune and only 19k miles. I want to be the dude that gets 150k with a LMS tune and it is still running with basic but early maintenance. Before I see a real issue.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Chances are there is a problem with the threada on the Fumitomo valve. That said I would not recommend using it since there is a good chance of it opening when you dont want it to when OffRoad(assuming its a 4x4 and you go OffRoad). I will also add that the threads hold up just fine with the factory drain plug. No need to worry if you do your own oil changes and sont go stupid on tightening the drain plug

OP
OP

wdeydwondrer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SCrew FX4
Chances are there is a problem with the threada on the Fumitomo valve. That said I would not recommend using it since there is a good chance of it opening when you dont want it to when OffRoad(assuming its a 4x4 and you go OffRoad). I will also add that the threads hold up just fine with the factory drain plug. No need to worry if you do your own oil changes and sont go stupid on tightening the drain plug
OK, thanks everyone. I wanted it so I didn't have to pull the skid plate but that was like 30 seconds so it's not really a big issue I suppose. Now what to do with these pieces lol
Sponsored