Anyone NOT have problems with the Ranger?

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
I read all the messages of people having all kinds of problems with their ranger. Really discouraging. I have a 2020 Ranger XLT with 17k on it,

Anyone got a few miles on theirs without problems?
31,500 miles on my '21 XLT 4wd.
No issues to speak of aside from kinda scrappy suspension. It wobbles a bit, but I can live with it til I can afford to replace all 4 corners shocks.
It's a nice truck, and it's hard for me to throw rocks at it.

thorn726

First Name
thorn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger xl
closing in on 58,000 miles so far pretty good. only "problem" was leaving the headlights on and killing the battery (if it's not on auto you can leave them on yes) and some vibration from unbalanced tires in the front that went away with a rotate and balance. Pretty sure uneven loading on road trips was messing with it, that was 6,000 miles ago/ vibration has not come back. I bought mine with 30,000 on it. Most of my driving is long distance on the freeway with a 500lb load of gear. I'm putting some strain on it but not much stop and go traffic.

Buckbull

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Software Architect
Just talking out loud but I would guess most folks fall into 2 categories that would join this forum. 1. They are interested in modifications and aftermarket upgrades. 2. They have a problem with their truck and want to see if its common, what was done to fix, complain, etc.

So there will be a lot of problem reports. Some folks put faith in Consumer Reports, some don't but the ranger has typically been at the top of the heap in reliability even beating the Tacoma.

Cars have become so complex to meet these government fuel regulations. Turbos, cylinder deactivation, active fuel management, direct fuel management, 10 speed transmissions etc. Just more stuff that can break.

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
I realise that mine is a slightly different model but my Global is a 2015 model with currently 125,000 KM bought second hand at ~67,000 Km.

So issues so far have been,
Leaky transfer case front seal, fixed by changing to Valvoline Max life ATF - oil was dirty and could use a change anyway.
Around 90,000 Km the auto started shifting sluggish and holding gears. Changed oil - never ran better, shifts almost impossible to feel now, - so much for "filled for life" BS. I'm going to change it every 50,000 Km now.
Two batteries - I attribute this to the crappy "just enough" charging system
One set of tyres - hey tyres wear out .
Replaced rear shocks - not broken, just to get a heavier duty set for less bounce when towing
Sunglass holder broke the other day will now no longer stay up- yet to order a replacement, kind of pissed off because I hardly ever actually use it.
Bubbling under the metal foil on the inside door handles.
I have the "crickets" under the dash that denote sticking servos on the blend doors, but they still work, although the clicking is annoying sometimes. When they eventually fail, then I'll replace them.

The rest has been the usual oil, filters etc although I tend to use the "severe" change points.

Otherwise apart from a few stone chips, the truck more or less looks and drives like new. No no rust, no rattles or squeaks, no leaks, despite having been driven on outback dirt tracks and off road.

I'm very happy with it, and would buy again.

Last edited:

Brianj67

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Firefighter
I agree that the reason why most people are on these forums are mods and issues.

So far this forum has helped me find a mod, Adarac M series on order, and some issues.

Finding the TSBs on driveline shudder and hard shifting was a bonus before my first warranty check-up later this week.

Purchased the truck used with 32k kms and did buy extended warranty aware of transmission issues.

I really like this truck and hope to have it for at least 5 years. Fingers crossed. :)

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
70,000 kms - bad battery within the first year but that’s really on the supplier. No issues - love this truck.

Had a transmission scare but it turned out it was just me sitting in 10th in manual select mode and pulling out to pass slow traffic after slowing down myself, stomping on it, and bogging down. It was like taking off in third in a 5-manual. I immediately thought of the transmission woes being reported on here and figured I was next.

So, 70% is on me, 30% on Chicken Little.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
I read all the messages of people having all kinds of problems with their ranger. Really discouraging. I have a 2020 Ranger XLT with 17k on it,

Anyone got a few miles on theirs without problems?
2020, 66k on it, no issues other than the rear shocks crapping out around 50k and causing a vibration that took a while to figure out. Replaced them myself with a pair of plain ol' Monroes from Rock Auto for $80. Rear brakes wore out prematurely because the caliper sliders stuck but with all the hills around here brakes don't last real long anyway.

Personally I think pandemic models have more problems. My cousin owns a repair shop and used car lot and says don't buy a 2021 or 2022 anything from anyone, they're all crap.