Anyone installing CB/ Ham radio and/or NMO antenna mount on your new Ranger?

Dredgerie

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Ranger Supercrew
Vehicle Showcase
I installed the Bullet Proof Diesel Third Brake Light Antenna Mount with the Dual Antenna setup as well! I had a couple of struggles with the install initially, mostly with routing of the cable through the cab, but once I figured that out, the rest was pretty straight forward! Plus, I just love how OEM this mount looks, and the fact that you do not need to drill any holes or anything like that to get two great NMO mounts!

20200418_151147.jpg

20200418_151621.jpg

20200418_151626.jpg

20200418_152424.jpg

20200418_152440.jpg

20200418_153606.jpg

20200418_154141.jpg

I have a full write-up on the installation and such of the antennas on my build page here if you are interested in further details.
Nice install. I have a bed rack coming and I’m just going to mount straight into the rack, otherwise I’d be doing this too.
Sponsored

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
Nice install. I have a bed rack coming and I’m just going to mount straight into the rack, otherwise I’d be doing this too.
Funny this popped up again. When I first read this thread, most of it was greek to me, although I was once a RATT operator in the Army. I've since started studying for my Technicians license and bought a GMRS license and a couple handheld Motorolas. Much of it was a refresher, other than the FCC rules.

FiveChime

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Worker bee
I went full commitment and did a permanent mount. I drilled directly over the second row dome light, so I can access the mount without disturbing the headliner. Going to remote mount the radio behind the rear seat, with the faceplate in the tray on the dash. Also installing a Lightforce fascia with their UHF jack to plug the speaker mic into, and a Magnetic Mic mount. Will update as the install progresses.

IMG_0190.JPG

IMG_0193.jpeg

Currently running a Larsen NMO 2/70B. Looking for something shorter with a spring for every day use.

-KD1TRE
What did you do to weather seal the mount and prevent rusting?

JonB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Funny this popped up again. When I first read this thread, most of it was greek to me, although I was once a RATT operator in the Army. I've since started studying for my Technicians license and bought a GMRS license and a couple handheld Motorolas. Much of it was a refresher, other than the FCC rules.
Good luck with the Tech license. Hope you saved some money to buy some ham radio gear once you’re licensed.

WxNerd2015

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2011 Wrangler, 2017 Escape
Occupation
Applications Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
For anyone interested on the CHMSL mount that I installed, I was able to put the SWR meter on the CB radio this weekend to get some readings and do a bit of tuning! In the pics, the CB antenna is the one on the left and that was the one I tested this weekend.

Here are the two antennas (Remember, the antenna on the left in each picture):

20200418_153606.jpg

20200418_154146.jpg

The shorter antenna, JBC800, definitely is not the most ideal antenna for this application, but was able to tune to the frequencies that I use the most, and it is mostly used when I am just in listen mode and just to keep the overall height down. But anyways, It is set around a 2.8 SWR reading at channel 1 and a 2.2 SWR reading at channel 40. I did manage to tune the antenna down to almost 1.3 SWR reading for channel 1, but it shot 40 well over 3.0. Best I could get all around was near a 2.5, but I have a tendency to use higher channels, so I skewed the SWR to the higher side. When I checked the channels in the mid range along where I normally run, channels like 10, 19, 20 , 33, etc, the readings were much better and around the 1.4 to 1.8 SWR reading mark. SO as mentioned, this antenna is not ideal for range and transmitting applications, but for the receiving, it does just fine, and for the short height of it, it does ok.

Now for the longer antenna, Mini Stinger Springer. This antenna I will use when I will be more heavily transmitting, longer trips, etc, when I really need to rely on the antenna and radio. This one is also a bit harder to adjust, so I was hoping this one would measure good...and it did! I checked channel 1, and got an SWR reading around 1.4, and then jumped up to channel 40, and got an SWR reading of around 1.5. I did do some quick checks through random channels throughout the entire range also and the readings were very good. I am completely happy with the reading that I got on this antenna, so I would recommend this antenna for this application.

As an additional note as well though, I think something happened to my SWR meter as well which was causing it to skew the numbers a little higher and that is that the resting needle position was around 1.3-1.5. I tried to move the unit around and what not, incase it really just wanted to site perfectly level, however the needle was always skewed high. So this does lead me to question if all of my readings are a little high. I can't say for certain, but I am pretty confident that if anything, the numbers are better than what I received on my meter.

JonB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
What brand of SWR meter do you have? The less expensive types (Radio Shack) are notoriously inaccurate. Better ones have an adjustment to zero the meter. Also don’t forget that because the two antennas are so close to each other (less than a 1/4 wavelength at the frequencies you’re using) there may be some interaction between them, affecting the SWR of each.

Good luck with the setup. You’ve put a lot of work into it and it looks good.

WxNerd2015

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Applications Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
What brand of SWR meter do you have? The less expensive types (Radio Shack) are notoriously inaccurate. Better ones have an adjustment to zero the meter. Also don’t forget that because the two antennas are so close to each other (less than a 1/4 wavelength at the frequencies you’re using) there may be some interaction between them, affecting the SWR of each.

Good luck with the setup. You’ve put a lot of work into it and it looks good.
It's just a cheaper Amazon meter, the Astatic
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VXKINA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am definitely aware that it is not the best of meters, but an estimate somewhere in there. Just wish it would have had the ability to more easily zero the meter when at rest/not transmitting. But just a stipulation on the post to not take the numbers too seriously.

JonB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Because I’m using a ham radio putting out 50 watts it was a little more critical to get a correct SWR reading so I use a Diawa meter. Remember, at 3-1 SWR you’re loosing 25% of your power. That’s a big loss for a CB that only runs (legally) 4 watts:

http://www.packetradio.com/pdfzips/SWRvsPowerNwatts.pdf

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Because I’m using a ham radio putting out 50 watts it was a little more critical to get a correct SWR reading so I use a Diawa meter. Remember, at 3-1 SWR you’re loosing 25% of your power. That’s a big loss for a CB that only runs (legally) 4 watts:

At 3:1 most modern transistor finals in cheapo CB radios will be dead after a few months use. VHF/UHF 50W finals will also suffer a great death at 3:1.

I use an MFJ-269c for my antenna work, and it's always been good. My magnet mounted VHF/UHF antenna is 1.1:1 in the center of 2M and 70cm, so I feel like that's good enough to not drill a hole.

WxNerd2015

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Applications Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

At 3:1 most modern transistor finals in cheapo CB radios will be dead after a few months use. VHF/UHF 50W finals will also suffer a great death at 3:1.

I use an MFJ-269c for my antenna work, and it's always been good. My magnet mounted VHF/UHF antenna is 1.1:1 in the center of 2M and 70cm, so I feel like that's good enough to not drill a hole.
Absolutely, that 3:1 ratio is not good for any modern radio, definitely good to note. And thanks @JonB for the pdf chart for loss. And for this reason for sure, this is why I checked SWR on the channels I run most for every day use, and they are much better with a lower SWR reading, and for times I will be transmitting more than a quick short communication here and there and needing to rely, I have the longer antenna with much better SWR. Definitely important to do your antenna research and wanted to share what I had found so far with mine.

As for meters, thanks for the suggestions! They definitely look like great meters, just didn't want to invest that much money in a meter yet and wanted to get the amazon CB SWR meter a try first. As for the VHF/UHF, haven't even gotten a meter to try with that yet, so am still researching a good option that can be reliable but not break the bank on it! So hopefully I can find something soon and get some SWR readings on that side of the truck as well!

tehschkott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Cat herder
Vehicle Showcase

bennycairns

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariet
With the aid of another ham from a local club, I got my Comet CP-5NMO lip mount installed today. I think I still need to run a ground wire from the CP-5 mount to the frame, since the radio is not happy with transmitting at 50W, but did fine business at 5W and 15W transmit levels (~30 mile great sound quality QSO on 15W, scratchy but highly readable at 5W).

For antennas, I have a Comet SBB SBB-7NMO (pictured) and Comet SS-406SBNMO (significantly shorter, less gain but no potential for it hitting anything overhead , as it is lower than the roof of the truck). The 7NMO will be my workhorse for VHF/UHF contests, SOTA chasing, etc., and the 406SBNMO is my "daily driver".

We used an endoscopic camera to look around inside the engine compartment and find a path to run the coax. Ultimately, we followed the existing wiring which pokes through the firewall, coming into the cab near the fuse box, etc. near the driver's left leg. From inside the truck, we ran an unbent wire coat hanger up and through the firewall plug, tied the end of the coax (plug temporarily removed) to the coat hanger wire in the engine compartment side, then pulled it back through and ran it along the floor under the molding which holds down the carpet, and directed the end to under the driver's seat, where it connects to the radio.

IMG_4814.jpg
Hi Al,

Like your setup. I am about to install a uhf in my 2019 Lariet. Where did you mount the unit inside the cab?

Cheers

Al Gordon

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Hi Al,

Like your setup. I am about to install a uhf in my 2019 Lariet. Where did you mount the unit inside the cab?

Cheers
The main body of the radio sits under the driver's seat, and the head unit is wired up into the tray on the dash. This is for an ICOM ID-5100, which comes with a cable long enough to run up to the dash from under the seat.

BabyMerciless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Anyone look into the possibility of mounting an antenna like so...

https://caliraisedled.com/products/2016-2020-bed-accessory-mount

Was going to break out the 3D printer and if I get something that works I'll break out the sheet metal and fab one up.

I see one unused threaded nut available. Just have to find a second to use to lock down the rotation. Don't want to rely on pre-load alone. I'll post picture if I fab up anything useful.

JonB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Anyone look into the possibility of mounting an antenna like so...

https://caliraisedled.com/products/2016-2020-bed-accessory-mount

Was going to break out the 3D printer and if I get something that works I'll break out the sheet metal and fab one up.

I see one unused threaded nut available. Just have to find a second to use to lock down the rotation. Don't want to rely on pre-load alone. I'll post picture if I fab up anything useful.
That could be the simplest and slickest mount yet for those who don't want to drill holes or who want to be able to pull the truck in the garage without dismantling roof-top antennas. I built a mount that attaches to the frame below the tailgate but this would be a lot easier. See post #57 in this thread.
Sponsored