First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Where I live they have to charge you book hours. There is no negotiation after the estimate.
Sponsored

banerjek

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I would've told them I could've broke it myself that's why I brought it to you so it was done right! No way I'd pay for something THEY broke.
My attitude is that if anyone is going to screw things up, it better be me.

I am sympathetic to the issue that there are certain jobs that often require messing something else up to do. At the very least, this should have been mentioned up front and discussed.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
My attitude is that if anyone is going to screw things up, it better be me.

I am sympathetic to the issue that there are certain jobs that often require messing something else up to do. At the very least, this should have been mentioned up front and discussed.
Exactly. I'm capable of screwing things up easily on my own. lol But if they knew this was a part that had a part that had a 50% fail rate this should've been mentioned from the start to the owner can make that decision to go forward at their own risk. Just a piss poor business practice from a dealer who I'd never step foot in again.

Last edited:

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2020 Escape AWD Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
I installed the tow package on my truck by myself. I did not break or damage anything. They are taking advantage of you.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
So I am having the dealer install the hitch from ford. They call me today and say "So when installing these 50 percent of the time we break the clips on the fascia, well we did on yours. We can put it back together without replacing this and youll just see a small gap on the one side. Or for $166 we can order new ones and itll look like it did before".

Now I told them to go ahead and make it look brand new but I am curious if anyone else has had this experience. Is it worth me throwing a shit fit over? Doesn't seem like I should have to pay since you guys broke it doing the install.

if they break it they pay to fix it! unless you where made aware by them personally that this often happens, its on them.

ryyck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Hell no.....
They need to make it right, especially if they caused the damage. Why pay for their incompetence.
I'd tell them if they don't return it to you as you brought it in - plus the work you are willing to pay for...you'll cancel the charges on the credit card and cancel the work. The state attorney general may also have a say in this.

TexasTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT CC
Vehicle Showcase
I installed the Ford hitch myself. Yeah, not the cheapest route, but I wanted it factory. If it's the facia I'm thinking of, you have to be very careful to pinch the tabs, one by one (there's a few of them) to release it properly. Chances are the tech didn't take the time to do that and eventually just pried, yanked or tore on it. The dealer should have told you upfront that 50% of the time we have to replace the facia so you know what to expect. I would try to get the dealer/service to at least give you 50% off the replacement part. If they won't budge, ask to speak with the service manager and as calm as you can, explain your position. Yelling at these guys won't motivate them.

That said, I have come across many parts on at least Ford trucks where the plastic part is meant to install and never come off again, at least in one piece..... good luck.

Tangent

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford XL Ranger 4x4 Supercrew
Vehicle Showcase
The broke it, they pay for it. Period.

That's why you pay them for it. If they fight you on it, take it to Ford directly, as I doubt they appreciate having a dealership that breaks their parts 50% of the time, then charges the customer for their stupidity.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
What they told you gives new meaning to the word "absurd".
If they have a 50% failure rate, then logic dictates that they investigate what they are doing wrong.
I'd be looking for another dealer 100%.

I_smell_like_diesel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Self Employed
Sounds like they knew what they were getting into. In my opinion, they should have disclosed this before they did the installation or recommended adding this part onto your installation quote (because it may be needed). If they say and know it breaks 50% of the time, that's a pretty big gamble to take and not disclose the customer. It's not about whether parts are "re-usable" its about ethics. They should, at least the very least, shared the cost of the additional part with you, if they broke it after the fact...... when they knew they break pretty commonly.

RBednar

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
No way you should have to pay a penny extra. They broke it, they make it right. What if it were their truck?

meistreguy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase
I am curious, what 'clips' do you mean? I installed a Draw-Tite on mine a couple of months ago and don't recall any clips. I am just curious.

Firestud5

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX2.
Occupation
Fire Captain (Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
That is totally unacceptable. Ask for the service manager and tell them THEY broke them, THEY fix it. That is why you take it to professionals and pay for their services to do the job right. Unbelievable. I had something like this with my sons dodge Dakota. Took it in for a service. Picked it up and the drivers window would not roll up. It was working when I dropped it off. Talked to the service advisor on why my window was not working. He was not sure but could replace the window motor for some absurd price. I directly asked for the service manager and told him what happened And that they would fix it. It was working when dropped off. He said they will take care of it.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'd loose my sh-- if I was in your shoes. They broke it so they can fix it. You need to climb all over this now before you get stuffed with a bill for something they jacked up.
Sponsored