Anyone else keep accidentially putting their truck in 4H?

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I've done it a couple of times 4H and 4Low while reaching for my phone cord, etc. It's not a great place for it.
Over 23000 miles have never bumped into 4H. I also keep my phone & cord in down in the hole.
Sponsored

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL FX4 Supercab
Occupation
Healthcare
Over 23000 miles have never bumped into 4H. I also keep my phone & cord in down in the hole.
we've never switched by mistake in 10k, but i feel like i would figure out real quick im in 4H from the orange dash light if i did.

however if its bothering folks, i suspect an easy improvement would be to increase the rotary resistance. a simple way to do this would probably be to find a stiff piece of silicone, trim it to a height that fits snugly between the dial and fascia, and glue it to the fascia so it increases the resistance. you could make it a tiny little piece on the fore side of the dial and i doubt anyone would see it.

or maybe someone could take the rotary dial out and see if there is an easy way to do this from the backside.

note: i agree its not an ideal design through. would strongly prefer a stiff detent that goes between three positions, not infinite rotation.

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
I remember those days.
Me too. I bought a '78 Land Cruiser new that had manual locking hubs. I was so happy that its replacement (a 2012 Jeep Rubicon) didn't require getting out to lock or unlock the hubs in the snow, rain, dark, mud, etc.

cclayton

First Name
Collin Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Almost a year of owning my truck and have never had it happen. I keep all kind of stuff in the tray like phone, loose change, hand sanitizer and phone cord. Not to mention I always turn the auto stop/start switch off.

Deleted member 1634

Yeah, same. Never once over 28000 miles have I ever come close bumping it. I too keep my phone down there, as well as the cord, a pen, camper keys sometimes, and other odds and ends.

I'll go against the consensus and say I actually like the location and feel of the knob. It makes it really easy to just reach down comfortably and blindly spin the knob into 4H when I see a rough patch of trail coming up or am stopped at a particularly icy intersection. I'd rather that than buttons I'd need to look at when using, or a knob up on the dash behind the steering wheel in an awkward place, or even worse a knob over next the headlight knob like some brands do. The size, location, and resistance is perfect for a quick pop in and pop out as needed. Especially since we don't have 4A.

GregM

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Lariat 4X4
Occupation
Retired
Yeah, same. Never once over 28000 miles have I ever come close bumping it. I too keep my phone down there, as well as the cord, a pen, camper keys sometimes, and other odds and ends.

I'll go against the consensus and say I actually like the location and feel of the knob. It makes it really easy to just reach down comfortably and blindly spin the knob into 4H when I see a rough patch of trail coming up or am stopped at a particularly icy intersection. I'd rather that than buttons I'd need to look at when using, or a knob up on the dash behind the steering wheel in an awkward place, or even worse a knob over next the headlight knob like some brands do. The size, location, and resistance is perfect for a quick pop in and pop out as needed. Especially since we don't have 4A.
I'm with you 100% and am fond of your enthusiasm for such a young Man :like:

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

I'm with you Matt. I feel the knob is in a good location for not having to hunt for it. Yes it does turn (Not spin I consider spin like price is wright give a whirl & watch it go), for ever either direction with no stop, I do not like to use the word spin, I turn the knob, but mine has indexing, without looking one click 4 H 2 clicks 4L but only when I am stopped & shift to neutral. Coming out of 4H 1 click 2 WH past that still the same. Dash indicator shows were it is at. :)

OP
OP
deeve

deeve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
I have gotten used to where the knob is and do not bump it anymore really. When it did happen is more seemed to be while pulling in our out of a parking spot or my driveway. Not sure why other than maybe I am plugging my phone and hit it then. Either way, I am not looking at the dash so I do not see the indicator. For me, it boils down to the switch just being too easy to turn. A little more resistance like was mentioned would be helpful. Good location....pretty close to good design.

SafetyDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 V2 - Ranger Lariat, FX4, 501A, Trailer Tow (Lightning Blue), V1- Lariat, FX4, 500A, Trailer Tow (Ingot Silver) <Epic Fail - Lemon>
Vehicle Showcase
If the F-150 is a locking selector, is it possible to replace the selector, with the same from the F-150? Anybody have the PN?

skyguy

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I just designed and printed this up. It does a pretty good job of making it difficult to accidentally rotate the knob. You have to reach in under it with the tips of thumb and fingers to rotate the knob. If you have extra meaty fingers it might be a little annoying. Not interested in printing, selling, shipping these etc. But I offer up the file free to all. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4729147 -- Held in place with thin double-face VHB tape.
IMG_2900.JPG

OP
OP
deeve

deeve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Been working on designing one myself since I just got my 3d printer, but am still learning design. I am actually trying to figure out what I want to use. I have been using Tinkercad, but have quickly hit some of the limitations. Yours looks really good. Stupid cell phone cord still puts it 4WD when I mess with it...I think . I cannot figure out how else I am hitting it. Something like that would help keep my manicure good for longer too! ;)

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
I just designed and printed this up. It does a pretty good job of making it difficult to accidentally rotate the knob. You have to reach in under it with the tips of thumb and fingers to rotate the knob. If you have extra meaty fingers it might be a little annoying. Not interested in printing, selling, shipping these etc. But I offer up the file free to all. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4729147 -- Held in place with thin double-face VHB tape.
IMG_2900.JPG
Well done. Thanks for sharing. I am going to send the file to a friend with a printer.

Frog9z

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Interesting. I looked at the location of the knob when looking at buying the truck. The Colorado is on dash side lower left and was hard to see for me. I kept bumping it with my knee getting in putting it in 4X4. It became habit to always look to make sure in right mode.

The only problem I had with the Ranger is forgetting to turn it off when not needed. I forgot it was in 4X4 day after storm until after a few miles.

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
I read this post when it first came out and I thought “what the hec”, I have never come close to doing it. Having had the Ranger for over 5 months now, I am thinking “what the hec”, I still have not come close to doing this.

I gave this some thought, and I think this is about muscle memory. I always used to drive a manual transmission with my right hand either on the wheel, or on the shifter knob. I still drive that way, my hand is never down low near the shifter knob.

Someone else may have learned how to drive where the shifter was not so important and their hand had traditionally rested down in that area.

Just a thought.
Sponsored