Anybody planning to lower their 2019 Ranger?

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
Been tempted to get custom rear springs with a 2-3" lift then flip the axle over the springs. Should give about a 3" overall drop. The OEM rear shocks might not be happy with the drop so have considered trying a set of earlier Ranger shocks.

But, if Belltech brings out a complete package at a sane price point, I'd rather not have to experiment on my own.

Either way, a gentle drop is much needed if just to make the bed more accessible. As is, its almost unusably high in the tail and unnecessarily high both front and back.
Sponsored

Envelant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Standard w/18's
Thank you for keeping us all informed. 2.5" in the front sounds good but not as great as the previously mentioned 3".

rojizostang

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger xlt 4x4 sport, 2017 Ford Explorer limited, 2013 Ford F150 RCSB Roush tvs supercharged
Been tempted to get custom rear springs with a 2-3" lift then flip the axle over the springs. Should give about a 3" overall drop. The OEM rear shocks might not be happy with the drop so have considered trying a set of earlier Ranger shocks.

But, if Belltech brings out a complete package at a sane price point, I'd rather not have to experiment on my own.

Either way, a gentle drop is much needed if just to make the bed more accessible. As is, its almost unusably high in the tail and unnecessarily high both front and back.
well that's an idea I hadn't thought of...lifting it and then doing a flip kit. That's an interesting idea. It might be doable with custom rear shackles and perhaps a revised/add on type of front spring perch. Seems it would be more cost effective than having someone make a set of custom springs. Now if you can get the stock leaf springs re-arched 3" and then do a flip kit then that might work too. I'll have to think this over as I was recently considering adding the 2" readylift kit in the front just to make it look a little better than current.

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
Hmmm, looks like a late AMC Pacer rear spring is mechanically very similar, except for 4" more arch and quite a bit softer. Maybe add shorter rear shocks with coil spring helpers?

Going to check in with a custom leaf shop this coming week, also need to get true weight on rear axle

FGMazzola

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium, 1932 Ford 3 window coupe
will this be for 2wd only or will it work for 4wd also? I don’t use mine for offroad at all and would love to drop mine a few inches!
Great question and one I hadn't thought about yet. Being completely transparent, I don't even own a Ranger yet. Part of my hesitation revolves around the issue of lowering. I won't be using mine for off road either. A mild drop is what I'm looking for. Depending upon what becomes available will be a deciding factor in which way I go; be it 2wd or 4wd.

I'll touch base with Belltech contact today and post any response.

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
Hmmm, looks like a late AMC Pacer rear spring is mechanically very similar, except for 4" more arch and quite a bit softer. Maybe add shorter rear shocks with coil spring helpers?

Going to check in with a custom leaf shop this coming week, also need to get true weight on rear axle
Win ,rear shocks mounts are not substantial enough to carry weight. Bret

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
After looking at a couple of different kits on Bell Tech's site, they use a lowering strut and a flip kit for the F-150 and a GMC Canyon (different kits, obviously), and both of those lowering struts are adjustable from 0" to 3" drops for both 2WD and 4WD. Seeing this is giving me hope that their kit will work on both 2 and 4 wheel drive Rangers......got my fingers and toes crossed :fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

Kevin Franklin

First Name
Tinmender1963
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda FT500. Honda 700SC. 2019 Ford Ranger Sport. 2014 Ford Focus ST. 2017 Ford Escape Titanium. 1994 Ford Ranger Splash. 1986 Ford Mustang GT Splash
Occupation
Damn good question. A lot of different things
Vehicle Showcase
After looking at a couple of different kits on Bell Tech's site, they use a lowering strut and a flip kit for the F-150 and a GMC Canyon (different kits, obviously), and both of those lowering struts are adjustable from 0" to 3" drops for both 2WD and 4WD. Seeing this is giving me hope that their kit will work on both 2 and 4 wheel drive Rangers......got my fingers and toes crossed :fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:
Like you, I hope that the lowering system will work with the 4WD and 2WD. Manufacturers need to realize that there is a sizable group of 4WD owners that are enthusiast about maximum road performance that this could enable. I own a 2WD but would be looking to do the same if I had gone the 4WD route. Hell, I'm just anxious to get mine lowered so I can finish (temporarily) my vision of what I would like to see Ford offer. A Ranger ST! It will fit well with my Focus ST! Same color and all. To sport ST badges on a truck that I have to step up into, that just wouldn't be cool

Rangerruckus

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Great question and one I hadn't thought about yet. Being completely transparent, I don't even own a Ranger yet. Part of my hesitation revolves around the issue of lowering. I won't be using mine for off road either. A mild drop is what I'm looking for. Depending upon what becomes available will be a deciding factor in which way I go; be it 2wd or 4wd.

I'll touch base with Belltech contact today and post any response.
Wow all that work investigating this and you don’t even own it yet? Pull the trigger I love my 2wd truck but I know I’m just rocking the stock till I get to lower it, my initial reason for also buying mine. Money has been marked since day one!

FGMazzola

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium, 1932 Ford 3 window coupe
Yea, I know. Crazy, right? I've always suffered from "paralysis by analysis"! Honestly, it wasn't that much work: just a few emails. Plus, I'm happy to do it. Even if I never end up with a Ranger (although I'm pretty sure I will), knowing that you guys will be modifying yours and posting the pictures, that motivates me!

I'm a car (or truck) guy through and through; have been for 50 years. I like my daily driver (which the Ranger will be) to look good but still be somewhat practical. Practical meaning lowered but not totally slammed; good looking meaning not having the ass end looking like something is wrong. I'm not a kid anymore so I'm not looking for attention; I've got my '32 coupe for that! :like: But, I do like my driver to be different than the "run of the mill" factory stock vehicle. Slightly lowered, nice wheels and tires and ALWAYS clean!

Hopefully I'll hear back from Belltech soon!

Looking forward to a new thread full of pictures of LOWERED Rangers with everybody asking "what tire size, what wheel size, what offset" etc,:LOL:

In the meantime, you all have a great day!

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
Had a long talk with my local custom spring shop.

Other than they thought I was totally crazy to alter the truck, and pretty uninterested in doing the work, they finally did say that if I design the springs, they'll build them. About $650 out the door for a pair.

Seems a bit on the high side. With shocks, new spring perches, u-bolts etc, call it $850 - $900 for the experiment. A bit of on-line searching for mail order customs might/should lower the cost.

Add in new front coils for another $250 and it'll be close to $1200 for a 1/4 or 2/5 drop (if there's even room for the 5" at the back). Curious to see how Belltech's pricing lines up. Their full monty "kit" for a F-150 is $1350.

An engineered, proven COTS solution would make for a simple, no risk project but the option to add in a 10% reduction in front spring rates and 20% off the rears has a real strong appeal. Better looking stance, better access to the bed, with the addition of being gentler over harsh road imperfections.

Definitely need to get axle weights and accurate measurements. Will have to pull one of the front springs to get it's free length.

Jmckinley

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C Max, 2019 Ranger XLT SuperCab, Kawasaki VX 300, Mazda Miata, Damon Motorhome
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Has anyone considered removing the two spacers between the rear axle and spring to get 1/2” drop for free?
Should be fairly easy but might require new U bolts since Ford doesn’t recommend reusing them after removal.

WestLegend

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Parts Professional
I CONTACTED MY SOURCE AT BELLTECH THIS MORNING TO ASK IF THERE WAS ANY NEW NEWS TO REPORT. I JUST HEARD BACK WITH WHAT I'D CONSIDER GREAT NEWS!

I just spoke with my engineering department and my Brand Manager. What we have developed is a 2.5" lowering strut for the front and a flip kit for the rear that should do either a 6,5, or 4 inch drop. We are currently in the production stage of this kit and I was told current release ETA is the end of April.

SOUNDS LIKE WE MAY BE GETTING CLOSE!
Preorders???? ?
Sponsored