ā€˜19 Ranger Lariat 4x4 Magnetic Gray / 2020 Explorer Limited RWD Magnetic Gray
Vehicle Showcase

Shavlik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I had an air-lift system on my Ram 1500 and loved it for towing. Iā€™m definitely interested in a set for my Ranger. I just need to wait. According to my wife, Iā€™ve spent all of my extra allowance on truck stuff already. :(
I'm in the same boat.

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape
Anyone try it out yet? I'm really close to pulling the trigger and wanted to hear a user opinion if there are any. Or maybe I'll be the guinea pig...

Edit/Update: I ordered the Air-Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate with a tee for single fill and Daystar cradles for off road

Last edited:

ChiliTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
@Mustang2Ranger let us know how it goes. I'm holding out for a solid rubber anti-squat setup (not a fan of having to fill bags when I hitch up etc.) but if I don't have an option by early Spring 2020, i'll just have to suck it up and go with airbags.

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What does it mean "will not fit factory air"? How much is this system?
Not sure what they mean about the factory air part either. Called Air-Lift to ask them other questions and they did not mention the factory air part

OTD it was $515 which included tax and shipping. Got the bags, tee, and cradles mentioned above

@Mustang2Ranger let us know how it goes. I'm holding out for a solid rubber anti-squat setup (not a fan of having to fill bags when I hitch up etc.) but if I don't have an option by early Spring 2020, i'll just have to suck it up and go with airbags.
Will do, plan on installing this weekend - yay for holidays

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alright so I got them installed. It was very hot and took about 4 hours so don't have alot of pics. Overall pleased with the result. With no load I can raise it about 3.5 inches. The bags can go from 0-100 psi.

Near stock suspension feel, since the ultimate edition has an internal Jounce bumper, the bags can be ran at zero psi. Only noticeable on speed bumps. On the road it feels the relatively the same. I would say if it was a 9 for me on ride quality it is now an 8. However when talking about sway or side to side rocking motion, it is much improved ex.- going in and out of a driveway or a right turn.

I am happy I purchased the "tee," in the below pic you can see the spot I chose to mount the single fill location.

The other pic shows the completed assembly with the cradle allowing the bag to separate from the leaf spring so no articulation is lost. This required some adjusting by compressing and decompressing the suspension a couple of times to get the bag to seat right in the cradle (the air lift brackets allow for adjustability).

The final pic shows how the air lift bracket had to be modified by drilling a hole. I also had to purchase slimmer hardware from home Depot to get the setup to work. I also added some double sided rubber automotive tape on the backside of the cradle to keep it from rubbing or spinning on the bracket.

Hopefully this was helpful to the next guy who is considering purchase

Have a good weekend

IMG_20190831_202041.jpg

IMG_20190831_202018.jpg

IMG_20190831_120333.jpg

Last edited:

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Explorer ,'92 Bronco, '91 Navajo, '19 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I had these on my last 2 trucks. F150 and F250. They worked great for towing, or towing and a truck camper.

One thing I did the last time was run both fill valves in the drivers side wheel well. It worked very well and was convient for last minute fills in a gas station.

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab Saber FX4
Occupation
Engineer
@Mustang2Ranger , thanks for the detailed post. Judging by the mods you had to do, it sounds like the reason they have this available so quickly is that it's an already existing kit that's "close enough". No matter, the mods aren't a big deal.

We have a slide-in popup camper that's driver-side heavy, so I'll probably go with separate valves so I can level it better left-to-right, but I like @Stic-o's idea of routing them both to one place.

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Mustang2Ranger , thanks for the detailed post. Judging by the mods you had to do, it sounds like the reason they have this available so quickly is that it's an already existing kit that's "close enough". No matter, the mods aren't a big deal.

We have a slide-in popup camper that's driver-side heavy, so I'll probably go with separate valves so I can level it better left-to-right, but I like @Stic-o's idea of routing them both to one place.
Mods are only if you want to 4x4 and not loose articulation. If you are mostly on road then no modification necessary, Air-Lift sells it as "no drill"

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Mods are only if you want to 4x4 and not loose articulation. If you are mostly on road then no modification necessary, Air-Lift sells it as "no drill"
Got it. We don't do much challenging off-roading with the camper on, but sometimes do with the camper off, so I'd also like to retain the articulation.

I downloaded the installation manual thinking it might describe the extra setup you've done, but it doesn't. Looking more closely at your pics, I see how it works, but would you mind adding a few more details? How did you make the cradle? What materials did you use, etc.?

Thanks..

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Got it. We don't do much challenging off-roading with the camper on, but sometimes do with the camper off, so I'd also like to retain the articulation.

I downloaded the installation manual thinking it might describe the extra setup you've done, but it doesn't. Looking more closely at your pics, I see how it works, but would you mind adding a few more details? How did you make the cradle? What materials did you use, etc.?

Thanks..
Never mind, looks like something you can buy on Amazon. I missed that in your earlier post..

https://www.amazon.com/Daystar-designed-suspension-convoluted-KU09140BK/dp/B0084ROJBM

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Never mind, looks like something you can buy on Amazon. I missed that in your earlier post..

https://www.amazon.com/Daystar-designed-suspension-convoluted-KU09140BK/dp/B0084ROJBM
Yup its a universal cradle by Daystar so you will need to modify the Air-Lift bracket by drilling a hole, and I had to use different hardware than was supplied with the cradle (slimmer hardware) to secure it

Here is a great vid of someone else's similar setup in action, it separates like it should at about 0:30

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Yup its a universal cradle by Daystar so you will need to modify the Air-Lift bracket by drilling a hole, and I had to use different hardware than was supplied with the cradle (slimmer hardware) to secure it

Here is a great vid of someone else's similar setup in action, it separates like it should at about 0:30
That's a great video. I'm glad I caught this thread, the extra parts and mods are definitely worth it. I wouldn't have known about it and would have just done a normal install. I don't have any experience with these as we went with helper springs on the old truck due to not wanting to spend a lot of money on a truck we weren't going to keep much longer.
Sponsored