Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Body shop manager
Vehicle Showcase
Just passed 10,600 miles and I hear the turbos like clean air filters. Thinking of changing it out as low cost maintenance and thoughts on Wix air filters?
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
So here is my own personal opinion with some facts from Ford on this.

To start off Ford only recommends changing the air filter every 30,000..... Assuming you dont go into extreme environment... Yeah kinda hard not to now a days....

Before I switched to the AEM air filter I was using the Ford Motocraft filter. Why the Motocraft? Well of the only two remaining US manufacturers(thats right, Dodge is now Fiat) Ford knows how to make good quality filters. Also when you look at the price at the dealership it really isnt that bad.

Now how often did i change the filter? Every 15,000 miles. Excessive? I dont think so. I did go offroad quite a bit so i know dirt and dust happened.

What do i have to say about wix? Its a good brand but for the price difference I say stick with Motocraft as the quality is there.

JSauce

First Name
Jeromy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Schwab
So here is my own personal opinion with some facts from Ford on this.

To start off Ford only recommends changing the air filter every 30,000..... Assuming you dont go into extreme environment... Yeah kinda hard not to now a days....

Before I switched to the AEM air filter I was using the Ford Motocraft filter. Why the Motocraft? Well of the only two remaining US manufacturers(thats right, Dodge is now Fiat) Ford knows how to make good quality filters. Also when you look at the price at the dealership it really isnt that bad.

Now how often did i change the filter? Every 15,000 miles. Excessive? I dont think so. I did go offroad quite a bit so i know dirt and dust happened.

What do i have to say about wix? Its a good brand but for the price difference I say stick with Motocraft as the quality is there.
When you reference AEM, I assume you went with the dry drop in filter? If so, how are you liking it? I’ve been a little on the fence about ordering one, I’m not expecting any miracles but in conjunction with a tune (I have Livernois) and 3inch cat back exhaust, was searching for a higher performance filter that may help the engine breath a little more efficiently while of course protecting it. And as I’m sure you’re aware read too many nightmare stories from the popular oiled k&n filters.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
When you reference AEM, I assume you went with the dry drop in filter? If so, how are you liking it? I’ve been a little on the fence about ordering one, I’m not expecting any miracles but in conjunction with a tune (I have Livernois) and 3inch cat back exhaust, was searching for a higher performance filter that may help the engine breath a little more efficiently while of course protecting it. And as I’m sure you’re aware read too many nightmare stories from the popular oiled k&n filters.
The reason I referenced Bae now it's for the fact that I've recently put it in my truck not too long ago. To say the least I wanted to experiment to see how well filter does for improving MPG if any and on how well it keep dirt dust out. Sometimes with aftermarket filters like K&M and other brands you take a high risk and can have dirt and dust go past the air filter which is a big No-No on turbo chargers and

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
This is a great video:

That video reaffirmed what I already knew. If you want to mess up your engine slap a K&N on and watch it slowly get eaten alive. Seems Wix and Purolator at the top of the test. Would also stand to reason Mororcraft isn’t that far off these results too

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
That video reaffirmed what I already knew. If you want to mess up your engine slap a K&N on and watch it slowly get eaten alive. Seems Wix and Purolator at the top of the test. Would also stand to reason Mororcraft isn’t that far off these results too
Some big filter company makes Motorcraft filters to Ford's specifications. That doesn't mean that their self-branded filters meet Ford's specs, though, only that they are capable of doing so when Ford pays for their services.

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
Wix and Purlator seem to always do well in those comparisons. Almost anything tied to Affinia or NAPA seem to be quality. Well unless you get the cheapest line of product, but that's to be expected.

A family member of mine worked for both of those companies as an exec. I used to think he was just tootin' his own horn about their product. But every freaking review or comparison video I've come across seems to reaffirm what he said.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Motorcraft, changed when it's dirty.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I change mine every 10K and have always used the Motorcraft filters in all my Fords. Between the dust in the air here and going off road it's cheap insurance.

Last edited:

Deathrider

First Name
s
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
I change mine every 10K and have always used the Motocraft filters in all my Fords. Between the dust in the air here and going off road it's cheap insurance.

You guys are making me want to change mine now, im at 14k
Sponsored