Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
You guys are making me want to change mine now, im at 14k
We have a lot of dust in the air here. I can wipe my patio table down in the morning and there's a film of dust on it come evening. We go out in the desert shooting & off roading where it's very dusty too. For me I feel safe changing it at 10K but if you're just doing everyday driving you should be good at the manufacturers specs. Take it out and see what it looks like now and you'll be able to judge how much farther you want to go with it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
peterson1604

peterson1604

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Body shop manager
Vehicle Showcase
We have a lot of dust in the air here. I can wipe my patio table down in the morning and there's a film of dust on it come evening. We go out in the desert shooting & off roading where it's very dusty too. For me I feel safe changing it at 10K but if you're just doing everyday driving you should be good at the manufacturers specs. Take it out and see what it looks like now and you'll be able to judge how much farther you want to go with it.
I ended up replacing it with a Wix filter. It didn't look bad with 10,000 mi on it but then again 18 bucks is pretty darn cheap insurance. Hell that's 3 IPA's in the bar on a Friday night. ?

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
i wish WIX was a little easier to find.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Special order here. I’ll check some other stores.

RangerFitz

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 fx2
Occupation
Danger
When you reference AEM, I assume you went with the dry drop in filter? If so, how are you liking it? I’ve been a little on the fence about ordering one, I’m not expecting any miracles but in conjunction with a tune (I have Livernois) and 3inch cat back exhaust, was searching for a higher performance filter that may help the engine breath a little more efficiently while of course protecting it. And as I’m sure you’re aware read too many nightmare stories from the popular oiled k&n filters.
Just ordered the AEM I'll report back with my initial review.

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
This is a great video:

The demo was decent but did not simulate actual real world conditions. The tester should have introduced a fixed amount of particles while the air was flowing, and routed the test flow horizontally at the introduction point. Additionally the airflow rate was far too low. To adjust for that perhaps he could have reduced the area of the filter exposed to the airflow. Just saying don't take this "test" for gospel.

JSauce

First Name
Jeromy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Schwab
Just ordered the AEM I'll report back with my initial review.
Thank you, Please do! @Frenchy has one, I’m thinking AEM is one of the better ones as far as actual performance/air flow goes. Question is, will it filter better or at least just as good as Motorcraft or others mentioned here?? Being in dusty AZ gotta be on the cautious side even though I don’t do much off-road.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Special order here. I’ll check some other stores.
Try rockauto.com been getting name brand parts from them for decades. Cheaper than anyone else 85% of the time. Stuff like, breaks, wipers, filters of all types and you name it. I got my wix oil filters from them for my last change. Was like 8 bucks each. Got 2 and a cabin filter. Get a couple intake next time.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Just passed 10,600 miles and I hear the turbos like clean air filters. Thinking of changing it out as low cost maintenance and thoughts on Wix air filters?
I had the K&N installed along with the Ford Performance Power Pack tune. However, after watching the video and reading members' assorted K&N horror stories, I switched out the K&N for a new stock Motorcraft filter, meaning, in effect, I changed the stock filter after 10,000 miles, which is way under the 30,000 that Ford recommends, but, after all, it is not a major expense, and better safe than sorry, especially with turbos.

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
WIX has always been my go to for air and oil filters. Ever since my old 91’ chevy where I ran a Fram oil filter for a oil change and then a Wix the next, it was obvious the oil was cleaner with the WIX filter. ?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
So as I mentioned earlier that I have the AEM air filter I finally did a quick check now that it has been there for a while and I have been offroad with it. I have to say tue filter is AWESOME!! No dirt and dust is getting past it and the filter flows better than stock. It did help stabilize the MPG to where I can average in the mid to high 20's. Obviously conditions will still very like if you are going 80 MPH with a head wind.... Then you can forget MPG ever existed....

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
I'm addicted to this guy's channel...
I just watched his vid on ceramic spray coatings and ordered his top performer. I like his vids and the comparisons he makes.

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
E3894A07-F699-4B1C-9A73-7FD6EDB7B1A5.jpeg

This pic shows a common day when going off-road in a group out here in the desert. I will stick with paper type disposable filters.

And make sure you know what your looking at when you check your filter. Do not simply open the air box and verify how dirty it is without removing it. The airflow comes in from the bottom so you have to look at the bottom surface to see how dirty it is. I have see people open the air box and think it’s ok because it looks white without removing it.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I was looking at the Airfield herself to see how much was on it and I was looking past the air box in to see how much is actually getting through. I have seen plenty of engines get wiped clean because of a K&N air filter not being oil properly. And of course I would not do the check while out in the off-road because that's just a silly thing to do.
Sponsored