Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
My wife drives a 2017 Ford Mustang with the same (or very similar) 4cyl EcoBoost engine we get. Hers is a Performance Package though so on her dashboard she can cycle through some screens that have additional gauges like:
  • Boost Pressure / Vac
  • Cylinder head Temp
  • Air/Fuel Ratio
  • Engine Oil Temp
  • Trans Oil Temp
  • and maybe a few others that don't come to mind. right now.

I'm not racing the ranger but it occurs to me that some of these would be handy to have on the trail. And since we have a 4x4 transfer case, lets add T-Case Temp to the sensors and gauges.

Seems to me that if these are all software driven gauges, it would be an easy mod / add. Has anyone done this?
Sponsored

Jon S.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Crew
I have not seen any additional menus that are available through FORscan. I some tuners show additional information that have the LCD display. The Ford Performance tuner does and also believe Livernois tune does as well. I have been through pretty much everything available in FORSCAN. I got pretty handy with it coming from a VW GTI which was highly customizable.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I will agree that these would be nice to have whether or not you are off road or even off-road or even Towing. I myself have the My Touch Calibrator from Livernois and I monitor the following, transmission temp, cylinder head temp, coolant temp(can see a problem coming with those two), catalyst temp(estimated but better than nothing), baro and map pressure(still run calculations to figure out true boost.

Do i wish I had more? Absolutely I do and ford could gave done better but they are the most made fun of manufacturer for a reason.

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Well, you can get a readout while in the maintenance mode, but it is sort of like Honda turbos; you get a readout, but no real figures to go along with the readout—0 through 1 doesn't tell you much!

This is the reason I added a boost gauge to my Ranger.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
I use the XDA app to display my Torgue guages on the SYNC screen through Android Auto. I monitor boost/vac, coolant temp, transmission temp, input air temp and battery voltage. You can display any information available in Torque.

Really which our trucks had oil temp and pressure sensors instead of just a pressure switch.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Take a look at the OBD port connected Scan Guage II. I have one and used it on the Ranger, use it on the Ridgeline as well. Although it has more features than needed. I usually set it to read water temp, Voltage, (boost when I had the Ranger)

y2krtaf

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Aircraft mechanic
Take a look at the OBD port connected Scan Guage II. I have one and used it on the Ranger, use it on the Ridgeline as well. Although it has more features than needed. I usually set it to read water temp, Voltage, (boost when I had the Ranger)
Do you have any pictures of what your display looked like when showing data?
Just curious as to what it actually looks like running.
‘Thanks

OP
OP
GTGallop

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Yeah but then I have to have a third screen rolling around the cab in addition to the two in the dash. If I hadn't already seen ford do it on a car that's 3 yeas older than mine, I wouldn't be expecting it to fold in seamlessly on this one.

With the Ham Radio on the console too, I don't want to add another "thing" to the dash. I'll just add it to the list of shizzle that for skimped on like, 4 windows that roll up automatically instead of 1.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have any pictures of what your display looked like when showing data?
Just curious as to what it actually looks like running.
‘Thanks

This is on my Ridgeline. You can set custom gauges. When I had my RAnger, I used the Boost gauge for the turbo. I have used this gauge on every truck I purchased in the last 10 years.

BTW you can change the background color to match your gauges

This one is showing water temp, Voltage, MPG, and RPM.

SCANGUAGE.jpg

frmtrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Crew 2wd (301a, Trailer Tow, Locker)
My wife drives a 2017 Ford Mustang with the same (or very similar) 4cyl EcoBoost engine we get. Hers is a Performance Package though so on her dashboard she can cycle through some screens that have additional gauges like:
  • Boost Pressure / Vac
  • Cylinder head Temp
  • Air/Fuel Ratio
  • Engine Oil Temp
  • Trans Oil Temp
  • and maybe a few others that don't come to mind. right now.

I'm not racing the ranger but it occurs to me that some of these would be handy to have on the trail. And since we have a 4x4 transfer case, lets add T-Case Temp to the sensors and gauges.

Seems to me that if these are all software driven gauges, it would be an easy mod / add. Has anyone done this?
Cheap android phone + torque pro app + Bluetooth obdii scanner. If you have Sync 3 there’s a torque pro plugin that makes it work with android auto.

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
I use the XDA app to display my Torgue guages on the SYNC screen through Android Auto. I monitor boost/vac, coolant temp, transmission temp, input air temp and battery voltage. You can display any information available in Torque.

Really which our trucks had oil temp and pressure sensors instead of just a pressure switch.
Which app do you use? I use Torque constantly to a connected tablet that I also use for offroad navigation and GPS. Adding these would be great for offroad sessions.

Montana Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
If I have any serious disappointment with my Ranger, its with how inadequate the displays are and how the gauges & twin screens on the Lariat work. I have to take my eyes off the road and thumb around the menus too much to see what I want to know. And it's surprising that a truck that has such a high-tech, high-performance engine lacks a display for such traditional parameters as oil pressure, voltage, amperage. It's like we've taken a step back to the '60s when "idiot lights" replaced gauges, where you only get do discover a problem after it's already "game over".

On one screen, I'd like to see:
Tachometer
Current Gear
Water Temp
Fuel Level
Oil Pressure
Turbo Boost
Voltage
Amps Charging or Discharging
MPG
Distance to Empty

The knowledge that the ECM already knows all of this information and could easily share any of it inexpensively via digital gauges just makes it even more annoying.

On the Lariat, the right screen is largely wasted space. (What radio station you're currently on or what your phone is doing) I'd move the space-wasting lane-assist over there to open up more space on the left for more performance information.

I'd love to see a software upgrade from Ford to enhance this, and would possibly even be willing to pay for it. But I doubt that will ever happen.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Which app do you use? I use Torque constantly to a connected tablet that I also use for offroad navigation and GPS. Adding these would be great for offroad sessions.
I use ODB2AA from XDA Labs. Here is a link to a video that explains how to get and use the app. costs like $2.00

If the link doesn't work just Google ODB2AA and scroll down till you see the Youtube links.
If I get a chance today I'll try and get a picture of my display.

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
I use ODB2AA from XDA Labs. Here is a link to a video that explains how to get and use the app. costs like $2.00

If the link doesn't work just Google ODB2AA and scroll down till you see the Youtube links.
If I get a chance today I'll try and get a picture of my display.
Thanks! I'm pretty technologically capable, but never really thought to look for something like this, but it's truly perfect for what I want/need from Torque. It might even be a reason for me to switch back to running torque from my phone instead of my tablet.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks! I'm pretty technologically capable, but never really thought to look for something like this, but it's truly perfect for what I want/need from Torque. It might even be a reason for me to switch back to running torque from my phone instead of my tablet.
Gauge options are a bit limited, would be nice to have min/max values, but it keeps the phone from being cooked in the sun on the dash. I'm able to switch between the gauges, maps, poweramp without issue. I've even received phone calls
Sponsored