Adding OEM rear axle with elocker

jleds

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Hello! Hope you guys are well. Question for y'all. What would I need to replace my current rear axle to one with a elocker? I know I'll need the whole assembly and the switch but I want to make sure what else is needed. Ive been patiently waiting for a torsen diff but so far nothing yet. Thanks in advance for the info!
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I am not sure if this has been confirmed yet but I believe those are the only two things you need as long as your truck is a 4 by 4. Looking at my Ranger it has all the wiring with the exception of the sub harness for the rear diff so that would be needed as well. After all those are added and you go into for scan and enable the Locking diff everything should be kosher. I have yet to confirm this myself as I've been spending money on other things

OP
OP

jleds

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
I am not sure if this has been confirmed yet but I believe those are the only two things you need as long as your truck is a 4 by 4. Looking at my Ranger it has all the wiring with the exception of the sub harness for the rear diff so that would be needed as well. After all those are added and you go into for scan and enable the Locking diff everything should be kosher. I have yet to confirm this myself as I've been spending money on other things
Thanks Frenchy! I always look forward to your input on these things.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I wonder what the cost difference would be between a factory swap and adding an air locker?
Close to the same if not a little more for the air locker just for the fact you have to get a compressor, new ring and pinion, ring gear bolt, bearing and shim kit and you have to have hose plumbed to the axle. Just because there is tye option of factory wiring from the diff already I would rather go that route as there would be less chances of hang up.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
OX Locker makes lockers that can be actuated manually (cable), pneumatically, or electrically. Electric lockers and install kits will run you about $1200. Although I'm not sure about availability for Rangers. I agree with Frenchy that an OEM rear axle assembly would be easier. And maybe more cost effective if you could find a used one from a salvage yard.

OP
OP

jleds

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Appreciate the input fellas. Levittown Ford has them listed relatively cheap so I may go that route. Idk if I should go through a dealership or a local shop. Not sure how complex the wiring and software process would be. I would do it myself but the way my bank account is set up, I can't afford to risk it lol.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Update us if you find out what pricing is to install from dealer after buying through Levittown

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
It would probably be cheaper to trade in the truck and get the one you wanted.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It would probably be cheaper to trade in the truck and get the one you wanted.
Unfortunately it would not sir. Not as cost effective if you already own a ranger without a locker. That I have already checked on

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Unfortunately it would not sir. Not as cost effective if you already own a ranger without a locker. That I have already checked on
you haven't been reading the threads about making a profit on a trade in?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
you haven't been reading the threads about making a profit on a trade in?
I have but of you have been making a lot of payments and dont feel like giving up your investment then you would understand what I'm talking about.
Sponsored