Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
At what depths (or how long of a crossing) should I be considering axle breather extensions, like ARB's, for traversing creeks and such? Thank you guys!
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
As long as the crossing isn't going to go as high as your wheel up front then you should be fine. For the extra-long breathers if you get them from ARB or whoever else you will want to consider putting that up towards the top of the engine bay.

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
Location of the front breather ends just above the bottom of the engine block and above the oil filter. Rear ends above the frame near the gas filler region.

OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Location of the front breather ends just above the bottom of the engine block and above the oil filter. Rear ends above the frame near the gas filler region.
That sounds like it'd be fine for most creek crossings.

ParkerAzJeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Ranger 2019 Ranger
Back in my early race car days we would take 3/8 hose and attach it to the frame. We also put a loop in it to prevent dirt or water from getting into it.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Back in my early race car days we would take 3/8 hose and attach it to the frame. We also put a loop in it to prevent dirt or water from getting into it.
Hi Jeff,

Yep, like a upside down P Trap. One Parker Race for BITD we had a heavy downpour that created quite a flood in the washes. I cannot tell you how many racers raced into the running water in front of my RV that I thought to run out there and offer valet service. Sheesh...

Take away here is that if you think you are fording high water extend the vent tube. Do not chance it as conditions vary and you need to be prepared for the worst.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

ParkerAzJeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Ranger 2019 Ranger
Hi Jeff,

Yep, like a upside down P Trap. One Parker Race for BITD we had a heavy downpour that created quite a flood in the washes. I cannot tell you how many racers raced into the running water in front of my RV that I thought to run out there and offer valet service. Sheesh...

Take away here is that if you think you are fording high water extend the vent tube. Do not chance it as conditions vary and you need to be prepared for the worst.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I remember that race very well. It created havoc for the best of them. Definitely a test of Man & Machine.
Sponsored