Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
When the smoke or flames show up it is easier to find. I would get a fire extinguisher for that truck.
Sponsored

OP
OP

JoelD

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Hmmm then I get a 2020 model courtesy of Ford.,...maybe I should put all of my “oldl” clothes in the back seat now. Tie up my wife. Hmmm....

OC4095

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Occupation
Factory Automation Engineer, Auto School Grad, Car Audio Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Since new I've noticed a stinky shoe smell when the AC is transitioned from OFF to ON while driving. Not noticeable any other time.

OP
OP

JoelD

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
My dealership talked about that issue and believe that may be a bad deal on the heater core. I believe that’s a known issue. Kinda like a musty body odor ....

jjmanzano

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS
My truck is four months old with a little over 4000 miles. From the get-go I noticed a burning odor like wax/crayons or hot glue sporadically coming from the vents while running the AC. I figured it was something that would dissipate or burn off with use but it hasn't. The dealership thought it was coming from the heating element that keeps the AC at the set temperature but of course it wouldn't do it when there. I can set the AC to 70 on both sides, drive a few minutes and raise the temperature to 74 and get the odor to start faintly. If I drive for long periods and the AC has really cooled the car off and this heating element comes on to balance the temperature, the odor is much more noticeable. enough to give you a headache. I cranked up the heat like a sauna and try to let it "burn off" but it keeps coming back... Anyone with similar issues or solutions?
I noticed the same issue this week. Kind of a burning rubber smell. I’m going to take mine in sometime soon. I need the AC for the current Texas weather.

OP
OP

JoelD

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I noticed the same issue this week. Kind of a burning rubber smell. I’m going to take mine in sometime soon. I need the AC for the current Texas weather.
They have had to take my dash apart. Ford engineers authorized the dealership to remove the heater coil and AC condenser. Apparently they found a large amount of grease in the heating coil that regulates the temperature on the drivers side. No one has an answer as to where the grease is from but theorize that the burning smell occurs once grease gets hot. I’m not sure the fumes are healthy. I get it back Thursday to test it. Ford customer service may end up buying me out of the truck since it has been out of service almost 4 weeks on this and an intermittent satellite radio issue.....Good Luck!

jjmanzano

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They have had to take my dash apart. Ford engineers authorized the dealership to remove the heater coil and AC condenser. Apparently they found a large amount of grease in the heating coil that regulates the temperature on the drivers side. No one has an answer as to where the grease is from but theorize that the burning smell occurs once grease gets hot. I’m not sure the fumes are healthy. I get it back Thursday to test it. Ford customer service may end up buying me out of the truck since it has been out of service almost 4 weeks on this and an intermittent satellite radio issue.....Good Luck!
Thank you. Unfortunately my local dealer can’t service my truck until mid September. Please let me know what the outcome is with your Ranger so I can run it by the technician.

OP
OP

JoelD

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Since new I've noticed a stinky shoe smell when the AC is transitioned from OFF to ON while driving. Not noticeable any other time.
Try what happens when you raise the temperature up a few degrees on the drivers side once it has cooled off.

jjmanzano

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Try what happens when you raise the temperature up a few degrees on the drivers side once it has cooled off.
The smell is worse at higher temperatures. At low temperature, I don’t notice a smell. However I get cold really easily and need to increase to 75 to be comfortable....and then the burning rubber smell appears and won’t work go away.

OP
OP

JoelD

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
That’s exactly what mine does/did. I will post exactly what they tell/show me. The parts have been delayed so it will be at least another week. ...I will be seeking at least refund if a months lease but am leaning towards being bought out.

OP
OP

JoelD

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
All—the dealership finally found the problem after taking dash apart to get at the AC system. They found white lithium grease inside the casing that holds the heating element that regulates the set temperature on the driver side. They have no idea how it got there or why the grease would be in there to begin with. I would suggest to all that if any of you are smelling a burning smell to get your truck in for a look. God only knows what the effects of being exposed to the fumes of the grease burning off whether strong or weak are over a long time, not to mention a potential fire hazard.

I pick up my truck this afternoon and if there are no further issues I will probably keep it. However if it acts up again or a new issue occurs, I will proceed with buy back or lemon law solution. It has been in the shop for over one of the four months I have had it.

jjmanzano

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the update. I will show this to the dealership when i take mine in. Hopefully I won’t have to wait nearly as long as you.

OP
OP

JoelD

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
If the have question have them call Hall Ford in Elizabeth City, NC and speak to Amy, a supervisor on the service team. Good Luck

tivct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tremor, Focus RS
Bringing this back from the dead. My truck has the same issue. HVAC has smelled awful from day 1, always when warming, up. Took it to the local dealer... "we couldn't replicate the problem."

They couldn't find my exhaust leak either... The one that bubbles water out on cold starts and has shot a clear soot line out of the leak point... "Master engine tech" had it for two weeks...

OP
OP

JoelD

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
They found my issue to be white lithium grease inside the housing containing the heating element of the drivers side AC. Between this issue and my satellite radio unit going out (a known issue with other Ford models) my car was in the shop for one month of the first 4. Ford bought it back under the lemon law/buy back program.
Sponsored