First Name
Dj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Xlt Sport 4x4
Occupation
Store Mgr
Well here we go again first hot day out here in the Northeast I turn my air conditioning on and I get a sweet sour smell for 3 seconds and it goes away... It has been in three previous times for this the first time they sprayed some stuff in the vents said I could have just been the air filter... Second time they smelled it they pulled my whole dashboard out and replaced half of I guess the coil or whatever... Came back again went in for the third time took the dashboard apart again and they found water in the bottom of the I guess the coil or whatever so they I guess the air conditioning system whatever is behind a dashboard is in two parts of top part and the bottom part they replaced the bottom part and said they called I guess their tech Ford tech and that's what they told them well now today I got the same smell again so I guess what are my options I'm going to tell him fix this give me a car and I don't want it back till it's done Is there any type of lemon law thing I can do What else could this problem be?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ranger3

Ranger3

First Name
Dj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Store Mgr
And I am still under warranty

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP
Ranger3

Ranger3

First Name
Dj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Store Mgr
Also the blend door was.cracked and they fixed that on 2nd attempt...

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
When I read the description I thought of the antifreeze smell. it is sorta sweet and heavy stench. But i think you would know right away if it was that smell. you would likely find the drips of puddles of it somewhere too.
Could be left over from the leaks before like some of the damp spots did not get dried out so now they are moldy and kicking on the ac for the first time in a while sorta fluffs up the smell. I had an old farm truck that would smell like fresh cut coastal hay every time i turned on the heater for the first time of the cool season. i asked my mechanic about it. he said does the smell make you feel sick or make you cough. i said no. he told me dont worry about it or mess with it, wasnt worth taking the dash apart. however this is different you have a nice basically new truck. should not have the issue. i hope they can get it fixed up under warranty so you can enjoy it. :(

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
When I read the description I thought of the antifreeze smell. it is sorta sweet and heavy stench. But i think you would know right away if it was that smell. you would likely find the drips of puddles of it somewhere too.
Could be left over from the leaks before like some of the damp spots did not get dried out so now they are moldy and kicking on the ac for the first time in a while sorta fluffs up the smell. I had an old farm truck that would smell like fresh cut coastal hay every time i turned on the heater for the first time of the cool season. i asked my mechanic about it. he said does the smell make you feel sick or make you cough. i said no. he told me dont worry about it or mess with it, wasnt worth taking the dash apart. however this is different you have a nice basically new truck. should not have the issue. i hope they can get it fixed up under warranty so you can enjoy it. :(
As soon as I read "sweet" I immediately thought of antifreeze.

BladeRanger

First Name
Bladimir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Electronic Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Well here we go again first hot day out here in the Northeast I turn my air conditioning on and I get a sweet sour smell for 3 seconds and it goes away... It has been in three previous times for this the first time they sprayed some stuff in the vents said I could have just been the air filter... Second time they smelled it they pulled my whole dashboard out and replaced half of I guess the coil or whatever... Came back again went in for the third time took the dashboard apart again and they found water in the bottom of the I guess the coil or whatever so they I guess the air conditioning system whatever is behind a dashboard is in two parts of top part and the bottom part they replaced the bottom part and said they called I guess their tech Ford tech and that's what they told them well now today I got the same smell again so I guess what are my options I'm going to tell him fix this give me a car and I don't want it back till it's done Is there any type of lemon law thing I can do What else could this problem be?
Watching and following this thread. Had same smell but it seems that it went away when I replaced the cabin filter with FoMoto brand.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Could be a plugged AC condensate drain line, I guess.
You should still be in warranty, I guess. It's 3yr, 36,000 miles on stuff like this.

MORPHINE

First Name
Jess
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Ranger
Occupation
Firefighter Paramedic
Giving this thread a bump. My 2019 Ranger 55k miles, driven in Florida has the AC on most of the year. A couple of weeks ago after turning the AC on, I noticed a dog poop smell that was so bad I got out and looked at the bottom of my shoe. Nothing. The smell went away but then the sweet smell started, not quite antifreeze but close. I checked and the far left drivers vent was 5 degrees colder than the others...
What the dealer found- cracked blend door and a leak in the evaporator coil. Thankfully, my premium ESP is going to cover it. They told me today that the coil is in backorder so I'll ask for a rental tomorrow. Just wondering how you came out on yours?

OP
OP
Ranger3

Ranger3

First Name
Dj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Store Mgr
Giving this thread a bump. My 2019 Ranger 55k miles, driven in Florida has the AC on most of the year. A couple of weeks ago after turning the AC on, I noticed a dog poop smell that was so bad I got out and looked at the bottom of my shoe. Nothing. The smell went away but then the sweet smell started, not quite antifreeze but close. I checked and the far left drivers vent was 5 degrees colder than the others...
What the dealer found- cracked blend door and a leak in the evaporator coil. Thankfully, my premium ESP is going to cover it. They told me today that the coil is in backorder so I'll ask for a rental tomorrow. Just wondering how you came out on yours?
Well I'm glad they found that out, that's what happened to mine originally...cracked blender door and there was water in the bottom of the ac unit.....both got fixed. I haven't really had the smell again in sprayed Lysol in the intake with the ac on high and vent open and it's been fine ever since. Finger crossed.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Broken blend door actuators were a problem on the 2019 models. The blend door and box tended to warp.

OP
OP
Ranger3

Ranger3

First Name
Dj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Store Mgr