First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
Chiming in again about the Curt Echo to say that I've updated my phone (Pixel 4 XL) to Android 11, and now I have major issues staying connected to the Echo. It's the phone's fault, but it's made the Echo feel useless to me. Bluetooth between my phone and the truck has gotten sketchy since that update as well, and I've had to re-pair it a few times.

Edit: see next post. Echo and phone are both fine.
Sponsored

Last edited:

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Chiming in again to say that I've updated my phone (Pixel 4 XL) to Android 11, and now I have major issues staying connected to the Echo. It's the phone's fault, but it's made the Echo feel useless to me. Bluetooth between my phone and the truck has gotten sketchy since that update as well, and I've had to re-pair it a few times.
Turns out the Echo is fine!!

What was happening is the app had started saying that the 7-way had become disconnected whenever I used the brakes for the first time. This behavior started right after my phone was updated to Android 11. I also noticed that bluetooth to the stereo was kinda sketchy after that, too, so I figured it was something to do with Android. But then I tried an older tablet of mine and it did the same thing.

So then I bought the TowPro Elite from Ford and installed it today.. and it didn't work either.

Turned out that my trailer' brake wires got crushed by the suspension and eventually broke entirely ?

1602984650551.png

Silver lining.. the TowPro Elite is quite nice. It was a massive pain in the ass to install, though.

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Thought I would be clever and drill a hole in the driver-side 12v lid so that I didn't need to buy the special bezel. It turned out great, but it was not easy to do! The lid is 3 parts and basically exploded while being drilled.. but I managed to piece it all back together without any of it breaking:

1602984826237.png

1602984836984.png

1602984844241.png

1602984860303.png

1602984884419.png

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Anyone know the part number for these clips that I broke, or where I can get some cheap equivalent? I see some on Amazon etc but lacking the rubber.

1603044119730.png

Also need some of the white ones that are used on the back of the big cover below the steering wheel, the one you pull to get to the fuses

RogerRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL
Occupation
Retired
Considering the Ranger, mostly for towing, and came across this thread. Any hope that the situation will be different for the 2021?

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Considering the Ranger, mostly for towing, and came across this thread. Any hope that the situation will be different for the 2021?
I'm not in a position to say but I wouldn't be surprised if nothing's changed. You might be best to try and work the brake controller and installation into the deal. When it comes time to talk purchase price with the dealer, wait until the last possible moment, after you've gotten their best price, and they say "I'll take it, if you include the brake controller".

Last edited:

RogerRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL
Occupation
Retired
I'm not in a position to say but I wouldn't be surprised if nothing's changed. You might be best to try and work the brake controller and installation into the deal. When it comes time to talk purchae price with the dealer, wait until the last possible moment, after you've gotten their best price, and they say "I'll take it, if you can include the brake controller".
Exactly, and I fully expect them to say no problem, and then tell me later there is a problem (costs more or takes longer etc)

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
Exactly, and I fully expect them to say no problem, and then tell me later there is a problem (costs more or takes longer etc)
Get it included in your purchase agreement if it causes you such concern. My dealer installed ours and it went well and according to plan and price. The only issue was the 4 weeks to get the device after ordering it. I didn't get the device with the purchase. AFAIK it wasn't even available yet.

RogerRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL
Occupation
Retired
Get it included in your purchase agreement if it causes you such concern. My dealer installed ours and it went well and according to plan and price. The only issue was the 4 weeks to get the device after ordering it. I didn't get the device with the purchase. AFAIK it wasn't even available yet.
What did the dealer charge you for parts and install? Thanks!

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Anyone know the part number for these clips that I broke, or where I can get some cheap equivalent? I see some on Amazon etc but lacking the rubber.

1603044119730.png

Also need some of the white ones that are used on the back of the big cover below the steering wheel, the one you pull to get to the fuses
Following up with myself - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32812326106.html?spm=a2g0s.12269583.0.0.2be2559bBwv5qR

Arrived today, they fit perfectly. They look identical to the OEM part than they do the listing photo.

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
On the weekend I decided to recess the hexagonal head of the clear plastic fastener. Hard to tell in photos, but it's much better looking in real life:

Recessed

1604933462359.png

Stickout out (aka 'before'):
1604933547165.png

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape
I just got the Curt Echo for my RV trailer and it works great

Much easier than installing something

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
I just got the Curt Echo for my RV trailer and it works great

Much easier than installing something
If it works for you, fine. I just like having hard wire control of my trailer brakes if I need it. Bluetooth is a bit to flaky for my taste..

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
If it works for you, fine. I just like having hard wire control of my trailer brakes if I need it. Bluetooth is a bit to flaky for my taste..
For what it's worth, the Echo doesn't rely on Bluetooth to function normally. It's only needed for manual brake control and making adjustments. Still not as good as wired, but quite capable.
Sponsored