Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired Architect
SAY WHAT?!!!

I just checked my sticker and it says "Trailer Tow Package $495" so I have the 'TOW PACKAGE'.

I also have the 'Tow Haul' button. Are you saying that when you activate that with a trailer attached the parameters for trailer braking appear on the display and the steering wheel buttons control it? If so, why isn't any of this in the manual?
No that is not correct. You do not have a trailer brake controller on your truck and you will not see braking parameters when you connect a trailer. Your truck will recognize when a trailer is attached and shut off some cross traffic alarms, but no brakes. You have to get the Ford Brake Controller separately.
Sponsored

Craig MacKay

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4
I just got mine installed by the dealer. They quoted 2 hours, tried to charge me for 3 since that is what it apparently took (where I described that as a "not my problem" issue) and eventually they decided to only charge me for the 2 hours.

Also they got their 'accessories' installer to do the work for $100/hour as opposed to a mechanic for $165/hour.

All-in I have the part for $375 (Cdn, discounted from $430 Cdn because I was a squeaky wheel) and $200 Cdn for install. That and literally a few hours of my time (that my employer paid for) for me to tell them how to do it

The knob is installed by my left knee as per the instruction manual. Clean job, I can tell that they actually poked around in the back to get to the high tail light because my stuff has been moved...so I want to believe they did the install correctly.

The knob is surprisingly not spring loaded to return to zero like any other truck I've owned that has a spring-loaded slider. After reading the manual I realize you set-it-and-forget-it

Anyways, I'm towing this weekend so I'll update this forum with the results.

Thanks for all the assistance folks!

Last edited:

RangerJeff

First Name
TheJeffness
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX
This is what i got from Ford. Sort for the fuzzy, it's a frame shot from a video I am making.

Parts.png
Part #? My dealership looked at me like a crazy person when I asked about it

Edsel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Willys 4Xe
Occupation
Engineering Professor
Vehicle Showcase
Part #? My dealership looked at me like a crazy person when I asked about it
VKB3Z-2C006-A

Be prepared for dealers being clueless about this--not their fault, the whole thing is a kludge by Ford, but in the end it gives you the OEM look and functionality.

Craig MacKay

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4
Towed this 4700 lb beast over over a mountain range - Calgary to Golden (260 kms / 160 miles) over the weekend with the new controller. It took a little bit of fiddling to get it dialed in correctly but it worked good!

Truck was working pretty hard over the passes but I kept it slow and steady.

For the record, I got 20L/100 KM's (11 mpg) out there.

20200228_171924.jpg

Last edited:

Lukaranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT Sport
So comparing the 2 versions, is this new version (with the extra Lumen AEB module) totally necessary, all it does/add is....
Forward Collision Warning System
Automatic Emergency Braking
People have installed the "older" Redarc model without issues.

Edsel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering Professor
Vehicle Showcase
So comparing the 2 versions, is this new version (with the extra Lumen AEB module) totally necessary, all it does/add is....
Forward Collision Warning System
Automatic Emergency Braking
People have installed the "older" Redarc model without issues.
Some thoughts:
The Ford OEM unit (VKB3Z-2C006-A) 'corrects' what I consider to be a colossal FU by Ford in not providing a TBC option in these trucks--while stating in the user manual that trailers with electric brakes should not be towed without one!

Ford selected the Redarc controller because it is the best. The OEM kit includes the '3rd Generation' Redarc. This uses a smaller control knob that has integrated LEDs for a cleaner, smarter install. Ironically, the installation instructions have you drilling an extra hole for the old style LED when it is completely unnecessary.

Ford tasked Lumen to produce a 'plug and play' solution to the problem (FCWS/AEB integration). Their solution, in order to achieve this, was to run wires back to the CHMSL connectors above the rear window.

The approved location of the Redarc control knob is nothing short of asinine. The best position for it is in the shift console. I mounted mine next to the 4WD/Traction Management knob and it looks like it was put there by the factory.

Lastly, you choose not to use the OEM solution. You have an accident where the FCWS/AEB may have prevented it. Could turn ugly. Just sayin'

Montana Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Finally! After over 4 months of waiting, I got the Ford OEM unit (VKB3Z-2C006-A) installed yesterday. I paid for the unit, but the dealer comped me the installation to keep me happy after selling me a truck with "Best in Class Towing!" that legally couldn't haul any more than my Subaru can. Hopefully by the end of the month, the passes will be thawed enough for us to test it out as we retrieve our trailer and get ready for spring.

I agree with Edsel above: This was a total cluster**** by Ford. Hard to conceive that they wished to up the game in a very competitive class, and not only failed to include an integrated controller like most of the competition has with a "tow package", but also neglected to include the wiring harness and connections required to easily install one. I can only guess they they were rushed to get the Ranger to market and figured they could fix it later, or just tell people to install an aftermarket controller. Then somebody realized that that aftermarket controllers would operate independently of the AEB and driver assist functions and the legal department freaked out.

Owner Manual for Electric Brake Controller.jpg

Last edited:

Edsel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering Professor
Vehicle Showcase
Then somebody realized that that aftermarket controllers would operate independently of the AEB and driver assist functions and the legal department freaked out.
Yep.

Oregon Comrade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Finally! After over 4 months of waiting, I got the Ford OEM unit (VKB3Z-2C006-A) installed yesterday. I paid for the unit, but the dealer comped me the installation to keep me happy after selling me a truck with "Best in Class Towing!" that legally couldn't haul any more than my Subaru can. Hopefully by the end of the month, the passes will be thawed enough for us to test it out as we retrieve our trailer and get ready for spring.

I agree with Edsel above: This was a total cluster**** by Ford. Hard to conceive that they wished to up the game in a very competitive class, and not only failed to include an integrated controller like most of the competition has with a "tow package", but also neglected to include the wiring harness and connections required to easily install one. I can only guess they they were rushed to get the Ranger to market and figured they could fix it later, or just tell people to install an aftermarket controller. Then somebody realized that that aftermarket controllers would operate independently of the AEB and driver assist functions and the legal department freaked out.

Owner Manual for Electric Brake Controller.jpg
So is Ford required to do the Install for rigs with the tow package? I've asked my local dealer and they don't know a thing....

Montana Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
So is Ford required to do the Install for rigs with the tow package? I've asked my local dealer and they don't know a thing....
I don't think they're required to do anything. My dealer comped my install as a good will gesture. When I walked in their showroom last summer, my first stated requirement was that I needed to be able to tow at least 5,000 pounds, and the Ranger was advertised as being capable of 7,500. Although annoyed that an integrated controller was not part of the "tow package", my understanding at that time was that installing an aftermarket controller was no big deal, as it hadn't been for decades. When I found out about the service bulletin admonishing the installation of aftermarket controllers because of the AEB issue AFTER I had bought the truck, I almost hit the roof, and I let the dealer know that if this was not resolved in a satisfactory manner by spring, they would have a big problem with me.

I'd have another conversation with your dealer. I'd have the trailer supplement that details the need for an aftermarket brake controller, and a copy of the service bulletin that says not to do that. Then do a deal.

(Speaking of "tow package" absurdities, my previous Ford, a 1998 Mercury Mountaineer, had a tow package that did not include a receiver hitch)

Last edited:

RickyDean

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4WD
Occupation
Retired
I don't think they're required to do anything. My dealer comped my install as a good will gesture. When I walked in their showroom last summer, my first stated requirement was that I needed to be able to tow at least 5,000 pounds, and the Ranger was advertised as being capable of 7,500. Although annoyed that an integrated controller was not part of the "tow package", my understanding at that time was that installing an aftermarket controller was no big deal, as it hadn't been for decades. When I found out about the service bulletin admonishing the installation of aftermarket controllers because of the AEB issue AFTER I had bought the truck, I almost hit the roof, and I let the dealer know that if this was not resolved in a satisfactory manner by spring, they would have a big problem with me.

I'd have another conversation with your dealer. I'd have the trailer supplement that details the need for an aftermarket brake controller, and a copy of the service bulletin that says not to do that. Then do a deal.

(Speaking of "tow package" absurdities, my previous Ford, a 1998 Mercury Mountaineer, had a tow package that did not include a receiver hitch)

So,this happened to me: Being unaware of the whole brake controller issue - beyond the fact that the truck does not come with one from the factory - I went through eTrailer and ordered a Curt Echo wireless brake controller. My brother-in-law has one for his Jeep Grand Cherokee and it seems to work OK. So I hooked up the Echo per instructions and it seemed to hook up and work OK. But then when I hooked up the trailer to take to trade on a new trailer I had just bought, the brake controller wouldn’t work anymore. I called Curt and talked with their techs and was told I had the wrong model Echo and they immediately sent a new one. The new one wouldn’t work either so Curt told me it was Fords problem. I went through 2 different Ford dealers trying to get the problem resolved with both of them saying there was nothing wrong with the truck wiring. I spent many hours at dealers, and on the phone with Curt and both were saying it was the other guy’s problem. The problem seemed to be that the truck would not “turn on” the charge wire in the 7pin connector without resistance. So, according to Curt, I needed to have the trailer hooked to the brake controller to provide the required resistance. But that didn’t work. Was told that the LED lights on the trailer did not create enough resistance but if I had an old fashioned continuity tester with an incandescent bulb that would do the trick. It didn’t. So then Curt told me that if the trailer battery was hooked to the trailer that would provide the required resistance. So, I disabled the battery isolator switch on the trailer battery and THAT provided the required resistance so I thought the issue had finally been resolved. Started towing the trailer out my storage facility and smelled something burning. Checked the Echo controller and found it to be smoking and melting the controller housing! Disconnected and called back Curt back and they finally said the Echo controllers would not work for my truck (although in previous conversations he said that he had a customer that was using it no prob). I then went went to a new Ford dealer and ordered the brake controller and made an appointment to get it instaled today. This afternoon called the dealer to find that they ordered the wrong part - they had ordered the wiring kit and found, after starting the install, that the truck already had that kit. Soooo, I had them order the correct kit and verified the part number from a previous post in this forum - Thanks guys! - and have to wait to get another appointment for install. They really don’t want to do the install because they don’t know anything about the Ranger and the towing requirements but, I basically got the same message from the other 2 dealers - not to mention a fourth dealer who refused to do anything with the truck unless they had the trailer with it, and explaining that I couldn’t get the truck there because I didn’t have an operational trailer brake controller had no effect. So 4 Ford dealers that either refused to work on the truck or reluctantly worked on it and really don’t want to get involved with the OEM controller install. If I could take the Truck back for a full refund I’d do it in a heart beat. At this point I’ve made three payments and put $2k into accessories so I’m not seeing a satisfactory resolution to this problem in my future. Just going ahead with the OEM install even though the dealer is telling me it may take 4 or more hours for installation because they don’t know what they’re getting into ( labor rate is $150/hr!). Pissed? Nah, not much.

Montana Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
...So 4 Ford dealers that either refused to work on the truck or reluctantly worked on it and really don’t want to get involved with the OEM controller install. If I could take the Truck back for a full refund I’d do it in a heart beat. At this point I’ve made three payments and put $2k into accessories so I’m not seeing a satisfactory resolution to this problem in my future. Just going ahead with the OEM install even though the dealer is telling me it may take 4 or more hours for installation because they don’t know what they’re getting into ( labor rate is $150/hr!). Pissed? Nah, not much.
Judging by my experience and what I've read here and elsewhere, I think that the dealers got totally blindsided by this. When they started selling the Ranger last year, they just assumed that it would be like a baby F-150 service-wise. Aftermarket controllers had never been a big deal before, even though it was a surprise that it wasn't included in the tow package like it is now assumed with GM. I originally was going to have the Curt controller installed at a local independent shop until half-way into the job they threw up their hands when they found out that this wasn't going to be a simple splice-it-in affair, and then after doing more homework came across Ford's "Don't install this!" memo. When I called my dealer up with this news, they were surprised. I believe they honestly didn't know, because if they did know, how stupid would that have been? I was so pissed that I would have had no problem going to court forcing a buy-back based upon a clearly false representation. The "official" Ford controller was just promised vaporware at this point.

It's also my suspicion that Ford is being tight-lipped with how they are communicating with dealers regarding this problem. They know they screwed up by rushing the Ranger to market advertising "best in class towing" while not having a integrated controller, and the wiring bundle designed to properly accommodate one. Then they realized that there are now countless Rangers out there towing with aftermarket controllers that aren't integrated with the AEB system, and/or may not be operating properly as your experience demonstrated. I think they're scared that openly giving dealers guidance on this issue will open them up to legal consequences, so they're pretty much leaving everyone on their own.

aslusers

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Orange SuperCrew FX4 Trailer Tow 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Hello everyone! I just got my new Ford Ranger XLT Saber last Saturday. So excited as I purchased it to tow IntechRV Sol Horizon Rover trailer. Like everyone in this forum mentioned that we all are disappointed that Ford did not incorporate the integrated trailer brake controller as part of Tow Package.
As several already mentioned, our Ford dealership (even on March 23, 2020) does not know that there is a Ford Trailer Brake Control item. He called me and asked me where the heck did I find this part # VKB3Z-2C006-A and it does not exist in their system. I elaborated that I learned from this Ranger5g forum. They stated that they do not install the trailer brake controller and they referred customers to Ziebart for the brake install service. I asked if they used the Ford part. He said, "No, the third party." So I went to Ziebart and show them the document of Trailer Brake Control. They said that they do not carry Ford. I suggested the Redarc Tow-Pro Elite and that it is similar. Can they order it and install for me? They said no. They are authorized to install two types of trailer brake systems.
Not a happy camper.
I am looking at the wireless brake controller. Any suggestion that will work with our vehicle and allow the Forward Collision Warning System and Automatic Emergency Braking to work and function.

JoeC

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Hello everyone! I just got my new Ford Ranger XLT Saber last Saturday. So excited as I purchased it to tow IntechRV Sol Horizon Rover trailer. Like everyone in this forum mentioned that we all are disappointed that Ford did not incorporate the integrated trailer brake controller as part of Tow Package.
As several already mentioned, our Ford dealership (even on March 23, 2020) does not know that there is a Ford Trailer Brake Control item. He called me and asked me where the heck did I find this part # VKB3Z-2C006-A and it does not exist in their system. I elaborated that I learned from this Ranger5g forum. They stated that they do not install the trailer brake controller and they referred customers to Ziebart for the brake install service. I asked if they used the Ford part. He said, "No, the third party." So I went to Ziebart and show them the document of Trailer Brake Control. They said that they do not carry Ford. I suggested the Redarc Tow-Pro Elite and that it is similar. Can they order it and install for me? They said no. They are authorized to install two types of trailer brake systems.
Not a happy camper.
I am looking at the wireless brake controller. Any suggestion that will work with our vehicle and allow the Forward Collision Warning System and Automatic Emergency Braking to work and function.

Good grief! Tell your dealer to Google it!
Poof, $339.00. Plus install.
Good luck, or try another dealer like I had to do..
Sponsored