First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired Architect
Did you do the wiring all the way back to the top brake light? I'm curious if I can buy the Ford/Redarc and just not hookup the brake light (ie. non-AEB) mode, but have all the stuff in case I decide to do it in the future? Version 3 ?? I think I'm getting Version 2 from Ford?
Yes, I installed as instructed. It appears that this is the only “relatively” easy access plug you can use to make the connection. The wiring from the brake controller and light management computer (which comes with the kit) runs to and from the plug. This puts the light management computer between the truck wiring and the center brake light.

If your truck does not have the AEB system and adaptive cruise you may want to just go with a standard Redarc like the one I removed. It worked perfectly, just did not receive signal during an automated braking event.
Sponsored

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCab
Had the Ford TBC installed (two hours of labor) this morning by my local dealer. I had talked previously to the General Manager about the situation regarding not being able to use aftermarket and have AEB etc.work and they gave me a substantial price "brake" for both the part and install. Will test it out next week and hopefully will work as designed. I'm happy my dealer stepped up and made this right. Ford needs to do this for everyone who purchased the Ranger with a tow package.

johnitahoe

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Sport/FX
Had the Ford TBC installed (two hours of labor) this morning by my local dealer. I had talked previously to the General Manager about the situation regarding not being able to use aftermarket and have AEB etc.work and they gave me a substantial price "brake" for both the part and install. Will test it out next week and hopefully will work as designed. I'm happy my dealer stepped up and made this right. Ford needs to do this for everyone who purchased the Ranger with a tow package.
Where did they mount your control knob? What state/county are you in? Thanks, John

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knob was installed left of steering wheel per the install instructions which are posted on this forum.

johnitahoe

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Sport/FX
My controller arrived today. If Ford installs it do I go to Service or Body Shop? Seems like the majority of the installation is removing/replacing dash, trim, and headliner? Do you remove the headliner to get to the upper brake light or do you fish the wires through? Also does it matter if controller is on the left and brake light module on the right? I might want to put the controller on the right if I decide to mount the control knob in the console. Is there a special trim tool used to remove the trim pieces? Wish someone would do a YouTube install video. Thanks, John

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My controller arrived today. If Ford installs it do I go to Service or Body Shop? Seems like the majority of the installation is removing/replacing dash, trim, and headliner? Do you remove the headliner to get to the upper brake light or do you fish the wires through? Also does it matter if controller is on the left and brake light module on the right? I might want to put the controller on the right if I decide to mount the control knob in the console. Is there a special trim tool used to remove the trim pieces? Wish someone would do a YouTube install video. Thanks, John
Service Department will install. I think they are obligated to place as per the instructions and doubt very much they will be amenable to install elsewhere...but of course you won't know for sure unless you ask. I think they have to take down a bit of the headliner to fish the wire the rest of the way. Have no clue about tools needed to remove trim pieces.

gbritt89

First Name
Garret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase

Service department. You have to remove the headliner to tie into the brake signal. It cannot be accessed from the exterior. I tried. Orientation of the Redarc and Lumen units does not matter. Redarc box needs to be fastened well though. Fords instructions are contradictory to redarcs own installation instructions. You can literally tear the entire truck down for this install using your hands, a flathead screwdriver and the appropriate torx bit for the rear seatbelt hanger. I hit a speedbump installing mine, hence no writeup yet but all in all have put about 2.5 hours installing it. Hoping when I take it in tomorrow someone with better maneuverability of their hands can get the wire plug finished for me tomorrow and I will be 100%. Leaving the control knob free standing for the time being as I am not sure if I will get the lightforce fascia or be flush mounting it to the left of the shifter as I have seen others do on this forum.

Last edited:

BillinPCB

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Miata, 2019 Ford Ranger Crew Cab XLT, 2019 Ford F53 Motorhome
Does the Ford controller have options in the setup to select between electric brakes or electric over hydraulic brakes?

Jerry Caldwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired Architect
Not that I have seen. The controller is a gen 3 Redarc Tow Pro Elite unit so you can research Rearc’s site for information concerning the types of breaks it will control.

BillinPCB

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Miata, 2019 Ford Ranger Crew Cab XLT, 2019 Ford F53 Motorhome
Not that I have seen. The controller is a gen 3 Redarc Tow Pro Elite unit so you can research Rearc’s site for information concerning the types of breaks it will control.
I found this in the Redarc USA website: “
Electric and electric/hydraulic trailer brakes can be operated with the Tow-Pro Elite Electric Brake Controller with no user input needed to select the mode.”

k1w1t1m

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
I talked to my dealer nothing good came out of it .I did call a company about what they sold the tech guy said to use this one primus IQ part # 90160 has anyone used this one thanks
Yes, it works well. The hardest part is dealing with the short length of the tow package wires to extend them.

Primus IQ.jpg

Edsel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Willys 4Xe
Occupation
Engineering Professor
Vehicle Showcase

Craig MacKay

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4
Pickup up the Ford/Redarc brake controller yesterday and finished the install today. The Ford version comes with a Redarc TowPro Elite version 3. I removed my Redarc TowPro Elite Version 2. Really like the Version 3 control knob and the way it lights up much better than the one that comes with the Version 2.
My 2019 is at the dealer as we speak for the factory Ford TBC install. Funny, I asked the Service Drone about the manual GAIN knob, and he didn't know, he went to one of the mechanics, he didn't know, so we both went to the Parts Dept and asked, and his system only showed the the TBC box as the only part included (which I got from the dealer when I got the truck in December).

So...is there a knob or slider for the factory Ford controller? I'm skimming 15 pages of this post and haven't seen one yet.

Thanks.

Steven D Tipton

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX Supercew & Ranger XLT SuperCrew
My 2019 is at the dealer as we speak for the factory Ford TBC install. Funny, I asked the Service Drone about the manual GAIN knob, and he didn't know, he went to one of the mechanics, he didn't know, so we both went to the Parts Dept and asked, and his system only showed the the TBC box as the only part included (which I got from the dealer when I got the truck in December).

So...is there a knob or slider for the factory Ford controller? I'm skimming 15 pages of this post and haven't seen one yet.

Thanks.
I believe this is what you're asking about yes it comes with the Ford controller.

1582223431318134904496.jpg

Edsel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Willys 4Xe
Occupation
Engineering Professor
Vehicle Showcase
This is what i got from Ford. Sort for the fuzzy, it's a frame shot from a video I am making.

Parts.png
Sponsored