8492 - 2019 Ranger - Trailer Brake Controller Availability

Montana Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
...our Ford dealership (even on March 23, 2020) does not know that there is a Ford Trailer Brake Control item. He called me and asked me where the heck did I find this part # VKB3Z-2C006-A and it does not exist in their system. I elaborated that I learned from this Ranger5g forum. They stated that they do not install the trailer brake controller and they referred customers to Ziebart for the brake install service. I asked if they used the Ford part. He said, "No, the third party." So I went to Ziebart and show them the document of Trailer Brake Control. They said that they do not carry Ford. I suggested the Redarc Tow-Pro Elite and that it is similar. Can they order it and install for me? They said no. They are authorized to install two types of trailer brake systems.
Geeze. Haven't those losers discovered the Internet yet?

https://accessories.ford.com/module-trailer-brake-12688.html
Sponsored

RickyDean

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4WD
Occupation
Retired
Hello everyone! I just got my new Ford Ranger XLT Saber last Saturday. So excited as I purchased it to tow IntechRV Sol Horizon Rover trailer. Like everyone in this forum mentioned that we all are disappointed that Ford did not incorporate the integrated trailer brake controller as part of Tow Package.
As several already mentioned, our Ford dealership (even on March 23, 2020) does not know that there is a Ford Trailer Brake Control item. He called me and asked me where the heck did I find this part # VKB3Z-2C006-A and it does not exist in their system. I elaborated that I learned from this Ranger5g forum. They stated that they do not install the trailer brake controller and they referred customers to Ziebart for the brake install service. I asked if they used the Ford part. He said, "No, the third party." So I went to Ziebart and show them the document of Trailer Brake Control. They said that they do not carry Ford. I suggested the Redarc Tow-Pro Elite and that it is similar. Can they order it and install for me? They said no. They are authorized to install two types of trailer brake systems.
Not a happy camper.
I am looking at the wireless brake controller. Any suggestion that will work with our vehicle and allow the Forward Collision Warning System and Automatic Emergency Braking to work and function.
Hey David, I would not recommend the wireless brake controller as I nearly had disastrous results when I tried it. I tried the Echo wireless brake controller by Curt. He Curt techs tried very hard to help me out and were patient but in the end admitted the Echo would not work for me. If your new trailer does not use LED lights you may have better luck than I did but I suspect that even if your trailer has incandescent lights you may still have problems. Anyway, I ordered and received the Ford (Redarc?) brake controller and have an appointment tomorrow. The dealer has warned (threatened?) that the install could take 4and half hours - at $150 an hour - but without a brake controller the truck is worthless to me. So, I’m planning on having a conversation with their management tomorrow. As was said in an earlier post, Ford boasts the Ranger has the best towing capability in its class but what they sold me is a vehicle that can only tow 1500 lbs legally.

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I am looking at the wireless brake controller. Any suggestion that will work with our vehicle and allow the Forward Collision Warning System and Automatic Emergency Braking to work and function.
Any standard controller will work, the only thing different than usual is where to tap into the brake signal.

DrSafety

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Electric Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Just to clear up a bit of misinformation. The Foward Collision Warning System will work and function fine with a third party brake controller installed. AEB will Also work for the Ranger. The problem is that when AEB is activated it won’t apply the trailer brakes if the brake pedal has not been depressed.

aslusers

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Orange SuperCrew FX4 Trailer Tow 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Good grief! Tell your dealer to Google it!
Poof, $339.00. Plus install.
Good luck, or try another dealer like I had to do..
I called another Ford dealership on the west side of the town and asked them about the TBC. He knew what I was talking about and quoted the right product number and unfortunately $339 figure. He mentioned he did it and it only takes him an hour to do so. He quoted the work total of $439 for the product and installment. I will bring my Orange truck over on this coming Friday. I will keep you posted of how it goes.

JoeC

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I called another Ford dealership on the west side of the town and asked them about the TBC. He knew what I was talking about and quoted the right product number and unfortunately $339 figure. He mentioned he did it and it only takes him an hour to do so. He quoted the work total of $439 for the product and installment. I will bring my Orange truck over on this coming Friday. I will keep you posted of how it goes.
[/QUOTE

I question the 1 hour to install, but if you have that in writing you should be good to go.
It took my dealer 3-4 hours (over 2 days).
Just saying.

RickyDean

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4WD
Occupation
Retired
Just got my brake controller installed today. They had never done one before. Took them over 8 hours to install it (while I sat and waited for it)! Fortunately I worked with a sales manager to get the installation cost reduced to an acceptable amount. Apparently working around the headliner to wire up to the CHMSL was a pain. They also installed the control on the center console as I requested which took about an hour on its own. I think there may have been a need to program the new controller which the tech said is pretty time consuming too. Anyway, it’s done and looks good and I can’t tell that they touched anything but the center console so I’d say they did a good job. Now to hook up to my trailer to see if/how it works.
If a dealer quoted an hour for installation I’m sure they are thinking about an aftermarket controller like a prodigy or something - and have no clue what they’re really getting into. It’s amazing how little the dealers know about the Ranger‘s towing requirements.

levimac`

First Name
levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger super crew 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Had Rocking R Rv here in Ontario install a Draw Tite 5100 brake controller on my Little Big man today took Him 30 minutes to do so after search for the wires by the left kick panel that took about 15 to 20 minutes for Him to get it thought out.
Cost was 153.15 parts and labor, started out an estimate of 188, the controller was 81.00.

Joem

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Go to Accessories.ford.com and scroll to
Trailer Brake Control

Part No: VKB3Z-2C006-A
When you purchase on line for $339 it gave me a 10% discount on the parts and at the same time you can purchase instalation for $145. My dealer in Palm Springs said it took his tech 3.5 hrs and the $145 was for 1 Hr......ended up no additional charge to me

Joem

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Go to Accessories.ford.com and scroll to
Trailer Brake Control

Part No: VKB3Z-2C006-A
When you purchase on line for $339 it gave me a 10% discount on the parts and at the same time you can purchase instalation for $145. My dealer in Palm Springs said it took his tech 3.5 hrs and the $145 was for 1 Hr......ended up no additional charge to me

Joem

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
My only issue was that the dealer gave me no instructions for how to use it.
I am making my first trip with it next week. I assume that the nob that has numbers on it the number 2 is the least amount of trailer braking and 10 is the most or maximum amount of trailer braking.
Am I correct?

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
My only issue was that the dealer gave me no instructions for how to use it.
I am making my first trip with it next week. I assume that the nob that has numbers on it the number 2 is the least amount of trailer braking and 10 is the most or maximum amount of trailer braking.
Am I correct?
The short answer is you are right, here’s the long answer.

Joem

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired

Joem

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for the reply, after I posted I thought that the Ford Controller looked a lot like the Redarc so I went to their web site and printed the PDF with the operating instructions. Very straight forward.
Blows me away that no one at my Ford dealers service department had any idea of where to get instructions or any insight on how to operate it.

BeachRanger19

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab Ingot Silver
I decided to try the Curt Echo bluetooth for my brake controller. Another had said it didn't work for them but my research in multiple forums has lead me to the conclusion it is worth a try due to being proportional and no wiring necessary.
Even though it does not interface with the EBS I never had EBS before and in 46 yrs of driving I have never run a pedestrian down or rear ended another vehicle so the chance of it kicking in before me deciding to brake is pretty low vs the amount of time spent doing normal trailering stops and the increased costs of the Ford option.
E trailer is shipping on Monday and I will post my experience after I have programmed it, played with it and see how it worked for me.
Stay safe fellow Ranger fans!
Sponsored