8492 - 2019 Ranger - Trailer Brake Controller Availability

Steven D Tipton

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX Supercew & Ranger XLT SuperCrew
The recall applies only to units sold in Australia and New Zealand between September 1, 2018 and January 21, 2019. With an example of affected serial numbers in this format: 18110006030116 or 18101268-023.

I found this listed, guess I'll run out and check my number but doubt mine falls in that. Never know lol
Mine passed on there web site.

View attachment 31107

KIMG0153.JPG

Screenshot_20200125-204204.png
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

Ray Miller

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 , 2020 Indian Roadmaster Elite
Occupation
Truck Driver
Vehicle Showcase
I noticed on the Redarc Site there was a recall for brake controllers on January 21, 2019. This involved Brake Controllers that were built between Sept. 1, 2018 and Jan. 21, 2019. Curious if Ford will start installing the brake controllers after they make sure all the old ones are out of the system. Had they installed brake controllers that would have been a big financial risk for them. Perhaps they've just decided to let owners deal with the brake controllers themselves. If anyone does get one installed by the dealer I would like to know where they mount the dial.

For those that used the Aussie dash replacement part with the switches, I'm curious if that part has the same vents that are currently in my dash between the 12 volt outlets on my 2019 US Ranger.
I purchased the dash replacement and there are vents under it. I'm still waiting to hear back from my local dealership about the install covered by FORD. This isn't good if there is a recall on this for how long it took them to put this out claiming to be the only one authorized by FORD.

IMG_20200125_180636926.jpg

Robanno

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger
This is just bs! My truck should be here late Feb and Ford still trying to figure this out. Will probably just do the aftermarket Redarc controller and call it good.
Rob

Steven D Tipton

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX Supercew & Ranger XLT SuperCrew
This is just bs! My truck should be here late Feb and Ford still trying to figure this out. Will probably just do the aftermarket Redarc controller and call it good.
Rob
I wouldn't get all worked over anything yet. If I have read everything right. A dealer said this, that has been trying to get a controller forever. When several of us has got ours with in a very short time frame. Mine took a week. Until Ford put something out or serveral more confirm not being able to order. I wouldn't look into this to much. Just my opinion. Maybe some one seen the recall that was listed above and put out bad info, just like the oil change

gbritt89

First Name
Garret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't get all worked over anything yet. If I have read everything right. A dealer said this, that has been trying to get a controller forever. When several of us has got ours with in a very short time frame. Mine took a week. Until Ford put something out or serveral more confirm not being able to order. I wouldn't look into this to much. Just my opinion. Maybe some one seen the recall that was listed above and put out bad info, just like the oil change
I’ve been in communication with the company supplying the unit to Ford since I received my unit earlier this month. There’s been no mention of a recall.

MIKEMCFI

First Name
MIKE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FX4
Attached are the service messages since the Factory TBC was released. Nothing as of today indicates a recall or service action.

Will Ford pay for your TBC install?

Short answer NO. Why 90% of Rangers sold will not tow a trailer requiring trailer brakes. 50% will never tow a trailer.

Long answer MAYBE. Some owners complain enough that it is not worth it and the dealer or Ford will give in and cover it as goodwill.

Owners manuals are written by technical engineers, reviewed and edited by lawyers before printing.

Bottom line main difference Ford kit uses a brake light input. Brake lights come on during a AEB event.

The stock wires provided use a brake pedal input.

See my prior post in this topic #174 for more info and wire diagrams.

The differences between the Ford and Redarc are

Ford uses the version 3 controller - the difference is the control knob and harness, it was redesigned to be more compact. There is no change in size of the external knob you see.

Redarc kit supplied in the USA is a version 2 controller with a data cable from the controller to switch, The switch is longer and the molded end of the the data cable makes the switch assembly longer. You can order the version 3 controller from Redarc, several shops in Australia and Ebay if you need a compact switch for your installation.

VBATT YE-OG wire goes to battery junction box fuse F64 30 AMP - Used in both kits

BOO FD VT-WH wire is an output from the body control module for TBC input - not used in Ford Kit

Ford Kit uses a harness to pick up a brake light input at the third brake light. Why? Because this is the nearest location a connector could be added for a brake light input. Cutting into a main harness and adding a tap is never recommended, see Ford Upfitter Manual. Three wires in connector, brake light returns to the added module providing isolation, cargo light and ground are pass through.

TBC OUT BU wire goes to the trailer plug at the rear bumper passing through connector C422 at the rear of the cab to the connector at the back of the trailer plug.

GND WH wire goes through connector C408 and grounds at the right rear frame rail, not used in the Ford Kit. The Ford Kit gives you a loop terminal on the provided harness and uses a ground tree at the left pillar. You can add and loop terminal to the Redarc pigtail and use this ground.

Annotation 2020-01-26 072850.png

johnitahoe

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Sport/FX
Attached are the service messages since the Factory TBC was released. Nothing as of today indicates a recall or service action.

Will Ford pay for your TBC install?

Short answer NO. Why 90% of Rangers sold will not tow a trailer requiring trailer brakes. 50% will never tow a trailer.

Long answer MAYBE. Some owners complain enough that it is not worth it and the dealer or Ford will give in and cover it as goodwill.

Owners manuals are written by technical engineers, reviewed and edited by lawyers before printing.

Bottom line main difference Ford kit uses a brake light input. Brake lights come on during a AEB event.

The stock wires provided use a brake pedal input.

See my prior post in this topic #174 for more info and wire diagrams.

The differences between the Ford and Redarc are

Ford uses the version 3 controller - the difference is the control knob and harness, it was redesigned to be more compact. There is no change in size of the external knob you see.

Redarc kit supplied in the USA is a version 2 controller with a data cable from the controller to switch, The switch is longer and the molded end of the the data cable makes the switch assembly longer. You can order the version 3 controller from Redarc, several shops in Australia and Ebay if you need a compact switch for your installation.

VBATT YE-OG wire goes to battery junction box fuse F64 30 AMP - Used in both kits

BOO FD VT-WH wire is an output from the body control module for TBC input - not used in Ford Kit

Ford Kit uses a harness to pick up a brake light input at the third brake light. Why? Because this is the nearest location a connector could be added for a brake light input. Cutting into a main harness and adding a tap is never recommended, see Ford Upfitter Manual. Three wires in connector, brake light returns to the added module providing isolation, cargo light and ground are pass through.

TBC OUT BU wire goes to the trailer plug at the rear bumper passing through connector C422 at the rear of the cab to the connector at the back of the trailer plug.

GND WH wire goes through connector C408 and grounds at the right rear frame rail, not used in the Ford Kit. The Ford Kit gives you a loop terminal on the provided harness and uses a ground tree at the left pillar. You can add and loop terminal to the Redarc pigtail and use this ground.

Annotation 2020-01-26 072850.png
We should talk Ford into doing the extensive install to the high mounted brake light for the cost it would have been if all the wiring was available with the rest of the pre-wired trailer harness.

From the Factory with the Trailer Towing Package does anyone know what signals are coming out of the 7 pin connector? The reason I ask is that I just stumbled across a YouTube video for the Prodigy RF Wireless brake controller. Great video from TFL. I believe the wireless unit uses brake light inputs from the 7 pin connector and accelerometer from the unit. I'm wondering if this is another potential solution for our Rangers.

Last edited:
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCab
We should talk Ford into doing the extensive install to the high mounted brake light for the cost it would have been if all the wiring was available with the rest of the pre-wired trailer harness.

From the Factory with the Trailer Towing Package does anyone know what signals are coming out of the 7 pin connector? The reason I ask is that I just stumbled across a YouTube video for the Prodigy RF Wireless brake controller. Great video from TFL. I believe the wireless unit uses brake light inputs from the 7 pin connector and accelerometer from the unit. I'm wondering if this is another potential solution for our Rangers.

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCab
Since purchasing my 2019, I have told friends NOT TO BUY A RANGER until such time Ford makes it right to those who bought one and then discovered after the fact that the only "safe" trailer brake controller is the one offered by manufacturer at a very high price. Ford needs to step up and provide their TBC with installation free of charge if one also bought the tow package. Period!

johnitahoe

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Since purchasing my 2019, I have told friends NOT TO BUY A RANGER until such time Ford makes it right to those who bought one and then discovered after the fact that the only "safe" trailer brake controller is the one offered by manufacturer at a very high price. Ford needs to step up and provide their TBC with installation free of charge if one also bought the tow package. Period!
I tell all my friends to buy a Ranger. Despite the Tow Controller woes this is an awesome truck. I've decided to install the Tow Pro Elite using the factory wiring. My trailer weight will be less than 3K pounds so I'm not really concerned. Had I known this I would have negotiated the install of a Tow Controller into the cost but that's water under the bridge. I appreciate all the inputs from this forum. I went from disgruntled buyer back to Happy Ranger.

Ford Accessory Site has the Tow Pro Elite for $339 plus $115 dealer install for my zip code.

Update: Called the dealer in my zip code and they want $500 to install it!!

Last edited:

NVHoonigan

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
I tell all my friends to buy a Ranger. Despite the Tow Controller woes this is an awesome truck. I've decided to install the Tow Pro Elite using the factory wiring. My trailer weight will be less than 3K pounds so I'm not really concerned. Had I known this I would have negotiated the install of a Tow Controller into the cost but that's water under the bridge. I appreciate all the inputs from this forum. I went from disgruntled buyer back to Happy Ranger.

Ford Accessory Site has the Tow Pro Elite for $339 plus $115 dealer install for my zip code.
Hey John, I had my Tow Pro Elite ordered and installed by TSA in Carson City. It was $220 for the controller and then an hour of shop time to install so about $315ish. I understand if you just want the dealership to install for warranty reasons but I haven't had an issue with mine.

J Haggerty (RADAR1)

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercrew I4, 2017 Dodge Durango SXT V6, 2004 Dodge Dakota SLT V8
Occupation
Retired USAF Air Traffic Controller
If I understand it correctly the RF model doesn't require the blue brake controller wire from the Ranger to be activated and takes the electronic signal from a combination of the left and right turn signals, which will both be powered if you press the brake pedal, and would allow the proportional controller to activate.
What I don't know is whether the AEB activates just the center mounted stop lamp, or if it also activates the left/right brake lights as well. If it activates the left/right brake lights on the Ranger, then it would also allow the brake controller to work.
If it doesn't activate both brake lights, then the situation would be the same as if you hard wired an aftermarket controller to the wiring under the dashboard.
I hope I never get into a situation where the AEB will activate brakes before I do, but it sounds like if it does, then my hard wired aftermarket controller will not activate my brakes until I take action and press the brake controller. If that's the case, then the Ranger will not stop as quickly as expected due to the extra temporarily unbraked trailer load.

Jerry Caldwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired Architect
Pickup up the Ford/Redarc brake controller yesterday and finished the install today. The Ford version comes with a Redarc TowPro Elite version 3. I removed my Redarc TowPro Elite Version 2. Really like the Version 3 control knob and the way it lights up much better than the one that comes with the Version 2.

johnitahoe

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pickup up the Ford/Redarc brake controller yesterday and finished the install today. The Ford version comes with a Redarc TowPro Elite version 3. I removed my Redarc TowPro Elite Version 2. Really like the Version 3 control knob and the way it lights up much better than the one that comes with the Version 2.
Did you do the wiring all the way back to the top brake light? I'm curious if I can buy the Ford/Redarc and just not hookup the brake light (ie. non-AEB) mode, but have all the stuff in case I decide to do it in the future? Version 3 ?? I think I'm getting Version 2 from Ford?

harringtondav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCab, 2016 Jeep Cherokee, 2014 Dodge Dart Aero DDCT
------- 11/10/2019 Update -------

Courtesy of @dguffin.

Here’s what I saw at SEMA with a part number of VKB3Z-2C006-A

41EA22F5-F770-4245-B9F0-646D2ABD3F89.jpeg

8492 - 2019 Ranger - Trailer Brake Controller Availability

July 3rd 2019

2019 Ranger vehicles come standard equipped with automatic emergency braking (AEB). Aftermarket trailer brake controllers may not be compatible with AEB technology. Do not tow trailers equipped with electric brakes without a compatible trailer brake controller. The compatible Ford Licensed trailer brake control module is expected to be available 4th quarter 2019.

8492.PNG

I was about to pull the trigger on a redarc controller but I think now I'll wait to see what ford is offering.
Interesting. I'm planning to install my old Kelsey controller. Simple enough: Black and white wires to B+ and B-, red to the brake pedal switch, blue to the trailer connector. I've seen YouTube vids showing the splices under the dash.

I don't know anything about the Ranger's emergency system. I'd think it would ignore my controller wired per the above in an emergency braking event. I don't know why this vehicle system would degrade vehicle braking, or trailer braking with my controller.
Sponsored