gbritt89

First Name
Garret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase
Any chance there is a module that brake gain is adjusted through wheel or dash controls? Just picked up my new ranger today and paid 500 (at ford dealer) to have he trailer brake controller added.. after I got it home I started checking out controls and I see nothing for gain control. Nothing similar to the OEM kits posted in this thread . FML. What did they install?!?! Lol
I could be totally reading your post wrong... but if you do not see a knob identical to the pictures posted above you should probably have a talk with your dealer because as everyone knows in this thread this is the only trailer brake control that ford is blessing off to actually work with our trucks due to issues and safety concerns with other components such as certain models having ACC and all models across the board having AEB.

Out of the four dealership horror stories I could tell you about going through this dilemma since October theres one thing they all have in common... none of them knew of this part number and I highly doubt your dealer had one on hand if you were lead to believe they installed it same day for $500
Sponsored

Noseoil

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger / 2013 Honda Civic / Red Rocket mini bike (zoom!)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
"I consider one of those units I believe you got. Unfortunately I have a few different trailers. That's the way to go if your hauling one trailer. It's perfect"

For what the dealers & Ma Ford charges, you can buy one for each trailer & still save money, just sayin'...
Tekonsha 90160 Primus IQ

Steven D Tipton

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX Supercew & Ranger XLT SuperCrew
"I consider one of those units I believe you got. Unfortunately I have a few different trailers. That's the way to go if your hauling one trailer. It's perfect"

For what the dealers & Ma Ford charges, you can buy one for each trailer & still save money, just sayin'...
Tekonsha 90160 Primus IQ
Actually, that's not the one I was thinking. Other one I was considering, mounts on trailer permanently. I believe a guy called Mr. Truck did several reviews on it and sense it mounts on trailer. I don't know why it wouldn't work with Ford braking system. I happy with the Ford controller.

Last edited:

Montana Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Official Ford electronic brake controller recalled?

Yesterday I had a visit with the service department of my local Ford dealer regarding the installation of my “official” Ford brake controller that was supposed to be available Q4 of 2019 after the infamous “Do not install an aftermarket controller” service bulletin. They’ve had it on order since last fall, but have not yet received any.

According to the parts manager, they found some uninstalled units at another dealer in the region but they could not get them to send one out because according to them, Ford has just recalled all uninstalled units, and there is no date for when they will be available again. There was no explanation for the reason for the recall.

I found this strange, since the kit is now actually showing up in detail on the Ford parts accessory website: https://accessories.ford.com/exterior/trailer-towing/module-trailer-brake-12688.html

Instead, they offered to install the generic Redarc controller that the Ford part is based upon, minus the various adaptations to accommodate the AEB system and adaptive cruise control and integration with the in-dash system.

I know that there’s nothing wrong with the Redarc controller, others on this site are quite pleased with it, and I can live with the fact that it won’t be responsive to the AEB system. I’d like the integration with the in-dash system, but can also live without that as well. My primary concern has been about warranty issues; where years down the road when one of the dozen or so computers that run the truck takes a fatal dive that Ford doesn’t come back and say “warranty void” because I modified the electrical system. And since this isn’t a “plug and play” solution as it should have been, technically it is an electrical system modification.

Of course, the dealer denies this will be an issue. But personally knowing people who have had warranties voided over this sort of thing, there’s no way they’re going to convince me otherwise. And considering that they’ve already refused to sign a paper regarding another issue I wanted covered under warranty when I took delivery, their verbal assurances aren’t worth the breath they are uttered with.

This dealer has yet to actually install one of these, but are about to for another customer in a few weeks. They are aware of the various wiring inconsistencies in the Ranger that have been discussed in these forums. I am going to wait and let this other customer be the guinea pig and then they’re going to report back to me how that all went. I won’t be needing my truck for towing until April, so I have another month and change to wait this out. And perhaps in the meantime, the official Ford controller will become available again.

And as for the Ford controller, does anyone else here have any insight to what is going on? This whole fiasco has been very hush-hush from Ford’s side. After finally getting this long overdue component on the street, did they discover that it didn’t work right after all?

gbritt89

First Name
Garret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase

Yesterday I had a visit with the service department of my local Ford dealer regarding the installation of my “official” Ford brake controller that was supposed to be available Q4 of 2019 after the infamous “Do not install an aftermarket controller” service bulletin. They’ve had it on order since last fall, but have not yet received any.

According to the parts manager, they found some uninstalled units at another dealer in the region but they could not get them to send one out because according to them, Ford has just recalled all uninstalled units, and there is no date for when they will be available again. There was no explanation for the reason for the recall.

I found this strange, since the kit is now actually showing up in detail on the Ford parts accessory website: https://accessories.ford.com/exterior/trailer-towing/module-trailer-brake-12688.html

Instead, they offered to install the generic Redarc controller that the Ford part is based upon, minus the various adaptations to accommodate the AEB system and adaptive cruise control and integration with the in-dash system.

I know that there’s nothing wrong with the Redarc controller, others on this site are quite pleased with it, and I can live with the fact that it won’t be responsive to the AEB system. I’d like the integration with the in-dash system, but can also live without that as well. My primary concern has been about warranty issues; where years down the road when one of the dozen or so computers that run the truck takes a fatal dive that Ford doesn’t come back and say “warranty void” because I modified the electrical system. And since this isn’t a “plug and play” solution as it should have been, technically it is an electrical system modification.

Of course, the dealer denies this will be an issue. But personally knowing people who have had warranties voided over this sort of thing, there’s no way they’re going to convince me otherwise. And considering that they’ve already refused to sign a paper regarding another issue I wanted covered under warranty when I took delivery, their verbal assurances aren’t worth the breath they are uttered with.

This dealer has yet to actually install one of these, but are about to for another customer in a few weeks. They are aware of the various wiring inconsistencies in the Ranger that have been discussed in these forums. I am going to wait and let this other customer be the guinea pig and then they’re going to report back to me how that all went. I won’t be needing my truck for towing until April, so I have another month and change to wait this out. And perhaps in the meantime, the official Ford controller will become available again.

And as for the Ford controller, does anyone else here have any insight to what is going on? This whole fiasco has been very hush-hush from Ford’s side. After finally getting this long overdue component on the street, did they discover that it didn’t work right after all?

I'm in the middle of installing the Ford branded package unit on my supercab. The dealer I got my unit from got it to me in 2 business days... sounds like your guy is full of it. Taking my sweet time to do a thorough write up and ran out of time my last set of days off. I have been being delicate and trying to do a thorough write up because there is absolutely no way Ford will ever know it was installed if I ever have an electrical hiccup it will disappear really quick down the road before any trips to service :p Ford has been no help post purchase.

Steven D Tipton

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Did the show you anything on this recall? Other than word of mouth? I'll see what I can find out from my dealer, that I just order mine and installed. If he says he can order another, I will have my doubts on this recall. Thanks for posting

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
1) what in-dash integration? (There's no such thing.)

2) nobody is going to get their warranty voided because a legit brake controller is connected to the brake controller leads.

gbritt89

First Name
Garret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase
1) what in-dash integration? (There's no such thing.)

2) nobody is going to get their warranty voided because a legit brake controller is connected to the brake controller leads.
drilling the hole for the knob of course :crackup:

Montana Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Did the show you anything on this recall? Other than word of mouth? I'll see what I can find out from my dealer, that I just order mine and installed. If he says he can order another, I will have my doubts on this recall. Thanks for posting
No, they did not. That's why I posted here to see if I could shake out the truth on this matter.

Steven D Tipton

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, they did not. That's why I posted here to see if I could shake out the truth on this matter.
I'll see what I can shake lose. If true, I'm assuming the issue would only be with small box to third light. Which could be disabled easy enough. Guess we'll see.

johnitahoe

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Sport/FX
I'll see what I can shake lose. If true, I'm assuming the issue would only be with small box to third light. Which could be disabled easy enough. Guess we'll see.

I noticed on the Redarc Site there was a recall for brake controllers on January 21, 2019. This involved Brake Controllers that were built between Sept. 1, 2018 and Jan. 21, 2019. Curious if Ford will start installing the brake controllers after they make sure all the old ones are out of the system. Had they installed brake controllers that would have been a big financial risk for them. Perhaps they've just decided to let owners deal with the brake controllers themselves. If anyone does get one installed by the dealer I would like to know where they mount the dial.

For those that used the Aussie dash replacement part with the switches, I'm curious if that part has the same vents that are currently in my dash between the 12 volt outlets on my 2019 US Ranger.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
The instructions from Ford say to put the controller on the left, at the fuse panel. (I like the dash mount better, i guess this spot is less work after tearing apart the door trim etc.?)

Steven D Tipton

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I noticed on the Redarc Site there was a recall for brake controllers on January 21, 2019. This involved Brake Controllers that were built between Sept. 1, 2018 and Jan. 21, 2019. Curious if Ford will start installing the brake controllers after they make sure all the old ones are out of the system. Had they installed brake controllers that would have been a big financial risk for them. Perhaps they've just decided to let owners deal with the brake controllers themselves. If anyone does get one installed by the dealer I would like to know where they mount the dial.

For those that used the Aussie dash replacement part with the switches, I'm curious if that part has the same vents that are currently in my dash between the 12 volt outlets on my 2019 US Ranger.
The recall applies only to units sold in Australia and New Zealand between September 1, 2018 and January 21, 2019. With an example of affected serial numbers in this format: 18110006030116 or 18101268-023.

I found this listed, guess I'll run out and check my number but doubt mine falls in that. Never know lol
Sponsored