First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Seems like that will be the way to confirm the cause of failure. Then we can assume the fault lays with the previous owner. The upshot is you'll become intimately familiar with your truck for future projects.
I ordered all new lines and filters but I’ll check the old screen when I get home and see if it was clogged.
Sponsored

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired
I ordered all new lines and filters but I’ll check the old screen when I get home and see if it was clogged.
Post some pics of the failed turbo if you can. Primarily looking in from from the exhaust side and the cold side to see wheel damage. If you’re able , disassembling it would be informative also.

OP
OP
goldensnubnose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Turbo has been installed. Once I got it in everything kind of fell into place, reinstall took about an hour. Filled up oil and coolant, started fine. Problems arose when I tried to actually drive though. The truck is stuck in limp mode and is throwing codes. I cleared codes multiple times but they come back the second I press the accelerator. Codes are: p0453, p06a6, p2ab8, p0135, p04fa. I think the truck is toast and the dealer was trying to get one over on me with the turbo diagnosis.

OP
OP
goldensnubnose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Post some pics of the failed turbo if you can. Primarily looking in from from the exhaust side and the cold side to see wheel damage. If you’re able , disassembling it would be informative also.
Impeller blades looked fine, no slop in the bearing, wastegate looked fine. I’ll try to get it apart tomorrow for an autopsy and post pictures.

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired
Impeller blades looked fine, no slop in the bearing, wastegate looked fine. I’ll try to get it apart tomorrow for an autopsy and post pictures.
Did your replacement turbo come with the wastegate actuator or did you reuse yours?
Also the nut on the cold wheel is left hand thread when you go to remove it if you didn’t know.

OP
OP
goldensnubnose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Did your replacement turbo come with the wastegate actuator or did you reuse yours?
Also the nut on the cold wheel is left hand thread when you go to remove it if you didn’t know.
It came with an new actuator. Thanks for the info, makes sense it would be reverse threaded but I’d probably get stuck cranking it the wrong way for 30 minutes before I realized lol.

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired
It came with an new actuator. Thanks for the info, makes sense it would be reverse threaded but I’d probably get stuck cranking it the wrong way for 30 minutes before I realized lol.
LOL! Actually it would only take about 20-30 seconds before the end of the shaft snapped off. Those are some really strange codes going on there. Hopefully someone can help you sort them out.

yamahaSHO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jaztuning.com
Vehicle(s)
22 Ranger, 23 Maverick, 04 S2000, 07 Sky RL
Occupation
ECU Calibration - USAF Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I never understood the oil screens. In Subarus, we just remove them. Dirty oil is better than no oil, in the event something gets loose in there. Ultimately, it's always been the screens that cause the failures.

Last edited:

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Turbo has been installed. Once I got it in everything kind of fell into place, reinstall took about an hour. Filled up oil and coolant, started fine. Problems arose when I tried to actually drive though. The truck is stuck in limp mode and is throwing codes. I cleared codes multiple times but they come back the second I press the accelerator. Codes are: p0453, p06a6, p2ab8, p0135, p04fa. I think the truck is toast and the dealer was trying to get one over on me with the turbo diagnosis.
Are you certain everything was installed and plugged in correctly? The truck may not be recognizing the hardware and throwing it in limp mode as a precaution, kinda like apple does with their phones when you try to put in a replacement screen or any other hardware. Your theory could definitely be correct as well especially if nothing has been done to diagnose or rectify the low oil pressure problem

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
With all those code, one thing in common is the VREF circuit, It has lost power, check all wire connections and also check Fuse 7 in the BJB (Engine Bay)
Shake all wire harness runs around your working area as a damaged wire harness will take out the whole circuit.

PO453 - Fuel Tank Press Sensor
PO6A6 - VREF Circuit --- This is triggering the non Turbo Codes
P2AB8 - Wastegate Actuator
PO135 - O2 Sensor
PO4FA - EGR Valve

The common for these is the VREF circuit, I would check all connectors you pulled and also pull the Wastegate connector, and then clear and check codes, its possible the new wastegate is killing the circuit.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Plus, check Fuse 8 as well in the BJB, but more specific is the connector on the Wastegate Actuator,
Pin 3 on the connector (Gray Wire) is the VREF circuit. (Middle Contact)
That Wire is run from the PCM direct to the Wastegate and then is spliced along the run to the other components in the system.

4 Possibles here
1. Turbo Was good and root cause bad wire (VREF) Circuit
2. New Turbo (Wastegate Actuator) Internally shorted
3. Damaged Connector or Wiring during install.
4. Improperly Seated (Connector) that was removed for install.

And also note: The Oil Press sensor is on the VREF circuit, yet another pointer to original issue not the Turbo as root cause- The VREF circuit is the control reference circuit for the sensors and actuators, this circuit can mislead if you do not dive fully into the system with full wiring checks.
I believe this is (POSSIBLE) for the Turbo diagnosis and from experience this is the easy road to take.
Now I am not throwing any tech or dealer under the bus here, just stating a fact that you replaced an expensive turbo and still have issues, so either you induced it at install or after reading your original posts on this I am leaning towards a misdiagnosis of the turbo when it was actually a wiring (control) issue.
So, from I can tell Fuse 7 and Fuse 8 in the BLB would be the very first place to start from there it's a in depth wire check of that circuit.
Disconnect and isolate everything on the circuit to narrow down the bad harness section.
But my initial hunch is between the PCM and Wastegate Actuator.

Last edited:

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired
Plus, check Fuse 8 as well in the BJB, but more specific is the connector on the Wastegate Actuator,
That Wire is run from the PCM direct to the Wastegate and then is spliced along the run to the other components in the system.

4 Possibles here

And also note: The Oil Press sensor is on the VREF circuit, yet another pointer to original issue not the Turbo as root cause- The VREF circuit is the control reference circuit for the sensors and actuators, this circuit can mislead if you do not dive fully into the system with full wiring checks.
I believe this is (POSSIBLE) for the Turbo diagnosis and from experience this is the easy road to take.
Now I am not throwing any tech or dealer under the bus here, just stating a fact that you replaced an expensive turbo and still have issues, so either you induced it at install or after reading your original posts on this I am leaning towards a misdiagnosis of the turbo when it was actually a wiring (control) issue.
So, from I can tell Fuse 7 and Fuse 8 in the BLB would be the very first place to start from there it's a in depth wire check of that circuit.
Disconnect and isolate everything on the circuit to narrow down the bad harness section.
He could try his actuator from his old turbo to rule out an actuator issue. I highly doubt that both would be bad, extremely rare for 1 to be bad. Unless there’s a short that may have fried it. But like your suggesting a fuse should have blown. From his brief description of his old turbo that he took off it doesn’t sound like there’s anything wrong physically with it.

OP
OP
goldensnubnose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4

4 Possibles here

Thanks for this. Checked the fuses and they were good. Checked the electrical connections and they all seemed solid. At this point it seemed over my head so I took it into an independent dealer. They just called me back and told me that the PCM is fried and that it has to be taken to the dealer for service. I'm beyond fed up and have been out of a vehicle for nearly a month so I think it's time to cut my loses and just go back to the dealer.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Sorry to hear that, but something else in that circuit took it out, if it is indeed fried. A full circuit check needs to be done before installing a new PCM.
Possibly & hopefully the original Turbo (Wastegate Actuator) vs something else or the wiring circuit. (Less Labor-Charge)

bbeverag

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat Tremor
I would expect the truck to not operate at all if the PCM were 'fried'. I suspect airline tech is on to something -- there is something wrong with a specific part of your harness, a connector, or a related circuit that is causing the PCM to complain.
Sponsored