First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
If you destroy your outside mirror (I accidentally shot mine with an airgun! And don't ask!), here's something you need to know.

If you own a repair manual, it explains how to remove the upper trim panel, which houses the Twitter for the sound system. That is really easy to do, even with a simple trim removal tool. The next step tells you how to remove the various door trim pieces, ending in removing the whole door trim panel! Oh boy, what a choice! Thankfully, you really don't need to remove the trim panel. If that is, you have a very handy little tool. You need something like this (https://smile.amazon.com/TEKTON-Wre...ords=torx+wrenches&qid=1639344302&sr=8-1&th=1)

This is sort of like an Allen wrench, except it is TORX. The one you need it a T25. The mirror is held on by three M5 metric screws, with Torx T25 sockets. By the way, the replacement price for the complete mirror assembly (only way you can buy it!), is about $370 depending on your available discount. If you want the best price, use Levittown Ford Parts!

The included screen dump shows the three, Torx T25, metric screws. They're the purple objects in the screen dump. One of them is behind the panel plug shown with a green ring around it. It helps if you have a T25 screwdriver bit (Ace Hardware and Home Disappointment carry them) for two reasons.

One is to remove the two easily accessible screws. The above mentioned Torx wrench will allow you to remove the one behind the trim panel. You'll have to hold it away from the door frame a smidge, but I'm sure if you've gotten this far, you'll know how to accomplish this. That bottom screw is a real mama to get out (about 1/8 turn per try). Just be darn careful not to drop it into the door frame, or you will have to remove the panel!!

Once the old mirror is off, take one of the screws and use it to tap the three buss members which hold the mirror on. This is required, as the busses are not tapped (threaded). This is where the T25 screwdriver bit comes in handy. A small drop of oil will aid the process. If you don't do this, you will have issues!

Yes, it is a bit tedious, but unless you have the necessary trim removable tools, the job is a nightmare!! From start to finish (I had all of the tools for the job), it took me about 20 minutes to replace the driver's side mirror. At a Ford dealer, it pays 2.7 hours, so you can imagine the savings if you DIY.

Oh! There are two electrical connection to R&R, but they're dead simple. Enjoy!

Screen Shot 2021-12-12 at 14.34.45.png
Sponsored

Rob09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021.25 XLT
Did this with both mirrors on the weekend. Once I did the first carefully, so as not to break anything, the second side was a snack, 10 mins tops.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Don't over torque the screws! You will strip.out the boss in the mirror.
Sponsored